djphilly

YOUR LOCAL CAR AUDIO SHOPS

what's really popular in the audio shops in houston is memphis, kicker, JL. I sell and try to push soundstream, re audio/usamps. people here don't know about these companies. let alone sundown or IA. people are going to go with what they know and if what they know if what all the other shops tell them. i had a customer with two kicker L7s and i'm telling him that one RE AUDIO xxx-15 that would blow both of those subs out of the water. he didn't believe me until i showed him the sub. he was speechless. long story short, i installed it and he couldn't have been happier. just having someone say thank you for the good work and honesty about product is the satifaction that i need.

what's really popular in the audio shops in houston is memphis, kicker, JL. I sell and try to push soundstream, re audio/usamps. people here don't know about these companies. let alone sundown or IA. people are going to go with what they know and if what they know if what all the other shops tell them. i had a customer with two kicker L7s and i'm telling him that one RE AUDIO xxx-15 that would blow both of those subs out of the water. he didn't believe me until i showed him the sub. he was speechless. long story short, i installed it and he couldn't have been happier. just having someone say thank you for the good work and honesty about product is the satifaction that i need.

You seem like a good person, who's in it for the love and not the money.

clap.gif

You seem like a good person, who's in it for the love and not the money.

clap.gif

Thank you sir. try to be honest when doing installs and selling people products

I went to The Car Stereo Shop here in Brandon,FL and asked the owner, Jeff :bull: , who happened to be at the front counter for 12g speaker wire. He asked me why I wanted that when 16g would work for any sub. I told him ok but I want 12g. He asked me what sub I was running, I told him a Power Acoustik Mofo-15 off a Bamf-5500D. He told me my first mistake was that I didn't buy from him (cocky prick) and that was alot of power I better use 8g wire. He sent a flunky out to the shop for the wire who came back with 2 runs of 8g power wire that showed obvious signs that it had been previously used. It was corroded and had marks and bends where it had been installed in the vehicle. I asked him how much, he said $2 a foot. I respectfuly declined and went to see Tommy at Explosive Sounds. Tommy (The King Of Bass) is a real down to Earth cool guy. He always takes the time to answer my questions and offer advice even though all I have ever bought from him is speaker wire, power wire, and some connectors. And sometimes I even go down there just to hang out and kick the bobo. When I get ready to do my official build for my car, I am going to have Tommy build my wall and install two of his Incriminator Audio KOB 18's and a IA20.1. So the way I see it, it all has to do with the people at the shop, if they are in it for a buck or do they really do it cause they love it!

I had trouble with my RCA's, so I called local shop [Custom Car Stereo], and they installed them right since it was a simple mistake on my part.

I've made the guys @ the shop a few old school and bass cd's to demo.

Real cool dudes. I've hung out at the shop just talking audio and chillin'.

It's all about the people who work there.

If they're cool, then I'm cool.

My local car audio shop is cool, i get discount everytime and good consultation.

I have 2 shop's in my area in VA, I stop going to 1 because the professional install that I paid 400 for looked like a rats nest behind the back seat, They didn't hook it up they way I asked them too, grounds were bad, etc. , in my 99 3door silverado. I got fed up with the bull crap for a while( like 2 yrs) now I'm re doing my system , trying to do must of it myself. I bought 2 Kinetik batteries, went to the other shop just to hook the batteries up. I had to get 14 ft. of 0 ga. wire and connectors and fuse, $400 just to install batteries. That seems to high for me. I got them to price a ported box under back seat, which he said he could probably do for my 2-T110d4's, $500. I already have a sealed box under the seat fiberglassed to the floor, which I was going to get that out. Its hard for me to pay someone $500 for a box that he's not sure that it will work or not. Now I'm undecided on whether to even try anything else or not.

I GOT ANOTHER SORRY STORY. kinda rediculous

One of my previous installs that me and a buddy did refered someone to us on how to wire a Memphis MOJO 15 quad coil. Says he went to a local shop(didn't say which one) and they did not even know how to wire the sub. they told him they couldn't do it because they didn't know how to do it right so to get the load down to one.

This is sad. how is it that some shops with "professional" installers don't know how to wire subs correctly. WOW!!

I went to a local shop today that was a Clarion dealer looking for the VZ409. When I got there they said that they don't carry that model but could show me a much better Kenwood like he was installing into a Lexus (like I give a crap). Of course the Kenwood deck is twice the price of the clarion. When I explained how much I found the Clarion for ($300 on amazon.com) he shows me a Dual for $330. His knowledge, or lack of, was pitiful and to the point of being funny. He swore the dual was just as good for the money as the clarion because I was basically paying for a dvd player. He spent 10min trying to talk me into the dual and when I asked questions his response most of the time was "well, we just got this unit in and I haven't played with it yet". The final straw was when I asked if they had a TL and he didn't have a clue what it was. Needless to say I gave him a "have a good day" while I tried to hold back the laughter....LMAO!

I went to a local shop today that was a Clarion dealer looking for the VZ409. When I got there they said that they don't carry that model but could show me a much better Kenwood like he was installing into a Lexus (like I give a crap). Of course the Kenwood deck is twice the price of the clarion. When I explained how much I found the Clarion for ($300 on amazon.com) he shows me a Dual for $330. His knowledge, or lack of, was pitiful and to the point of being funny. He swore the dual was just as good for the money as the clarion because I was basically paying for a dvd player. He spent 10min trying to talk me into the dual and when I asked questions his response most of the time was "well, we just got this unit in and I haven't played with it yet". The final straw was when I asked if they had a TL and he didn't have a clue what it was. Needless to say I gave him a "have a good day" while I tried to hold back the laughter....LMAO!

Love it. Keep the stories coming everyone!!! :woot:

Heh, I had a guy at my local shop tell me to "not mess with "no-name" subs like FI and stick with kicker."

It goes without saying that I haven't been there since.

Heh, I had a guy at my local shop tell me to "not mess with "no-name" subs like FI and stick with kicker."

Naw it just shows you he was trying to sell you what he had and most people dont mess with what they dont know or they dont want competition taking there money (a real business person would help you in making the right decision for you and not for them at the end of the day which is just sales and revenue).

Naw it just shows you he was trying to sell you what he had and most people dont mess with what they dont know or dont want competition taking there money (a real business person would help you in making the right decision for you and not for them at the end of the is just sales and revenue).

So true :+1:

In my 18 years of doing custom car audio i have meet a lot of installers that aren't very good at installing because they are just like you . Everyone has to learn this stuff at your own speed and it take years to get good at it .

In my 18 years of doing custom car audio i have meet a lot of installers that aren't very good at installing because they are just like you . Everyone has to learn this stuff at your own speed and it take years to get good at it .

What do you mean Just like me? I'm not understanding what your talking about. PLEASE elaborate :shrug:

What do you mean Just like me? I'm not understanding what your talking about. PLEASE elaborate :shrug:

I wasn't speaking to anyone person but the whole post sorry. My point is everyone has to start some where and just because the car audio guy doesn't know everything doesn't mean he is an idiot. It just seams like a lot of DIY guys have alot of hate for the guys in the industry. I started out doing car audio in my garage for a year or two then got a chance to work at a shop and its been my life ever since. I love car audio.

I wasn't speaking to anyone person but the whole post sorry. My point is everyone has to start some where and just because the car audio guy doesn't know everything doesn't mean he is an idiot. It just seams like a lot of DIY guys have alot of hate for the guys in the industry. I started out doing car audio in my garage for a year or two then got a chance to work at a shop and its been my life ever since. I love car audio.

I agree with you but I disagree with the part that DIY guys hate installers. We hate installers who say they are professionals and do shitty work (you pay for a pro to do it and it looks like a novice did it), we hate people who call themselves professionals but only mastered one or two areas of car audio instead of all the areas and act like they know what they are doing. We hate professionals who only try to sell what they have in the store because they dont want you to buy another brand, when all we want is advice or help from what brand we already choose. Etc, just my .02

But yeah car audio is more than positive to positive, negative to negative, remote to wire and speakers and amps.

the point of this post and why it's been so popular is for people to tell stories of the so called Professionals that work in retail store that don't know what they should know to do there profession. would you go to a doctor that didn't know the difference between you kidney and your liver and what their functions are? I wouldn't.

I've worked in a couple of audio shops and hated it because the owner of the stores sold crappy equipment at rediculous prices and wanted us to install them as cheap as possible. and lying to customers about product so that he can make another dollar.

I didn't last in those shops because I would question the installers ways, so i quit those crappy shops.

Last time i went to an audio shop i was buying a crunch amp for my friends install. 2 12" kicker cvx's. I asked the guy if he had the terminals to hook the wire up to the amp, he said "you want an amp wiring kit?" i said no, just the terminals, "he said oh ok, yeah right out here." we walked into the shop and asked whhat size i needed, i said 4 gauge. he handed me terminals that could barely fit the 16 gauge speaker wire.