haydenlake

A RL-p in .55cuft excursion and distortion

First of all I want to say thanks to Mike for kickin ass and I love my RL-p. So I have an RL-p 12 in a .55cuft net sealed box (its inside the cab of my car behind the pass seat, I hate the way trunks make bass sound muffled and quiet). It's running off of a PPI 2150 (about 500-600wrms). I had a local high end audio shop run software for this sub (and confirmed their numbers with other internet sites) for a Q of .7 Seeing how that is what most sq people rec I went with that.

My question, the speaker seems to distort when driven hard and I'm trying to figure out if it is the speaker distorting or the amp clipping. Freeair testing this sub it looks like it can move way farther than it does in the box before it risks bottoming. Am I running into what they call power compression? Is it the amp? The box does not leak or anything like that.

If it is the amp clippping can I assume I'm not going to damage the sub since it isn't the thing being really stressed?

Thanks guys

I forgot to mention that there is a small amount of polyfill in the box (not crammed but just about full). I so the box might act like .6 or something like that.

B

wow, that's a tiny box for the rl-p...even with the polyfill...

it might very well be the amp clipping, but i'd wager it's power compression, if that has anything to do with overdriving a sub in too small of a box. which i think urs is. i'd suggest at least double that for the power ur running, if it will fit. which is to say, around 1.1-1.25ft^3

and welcome to the forum!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

back then ho's didnt want me now i'm hot they all on me

mike jones is the man

FYI: The Rl-p models pretty horribly in most box programs. So, that box size it gave them was no where near accurate.

What program? 0.55ft^3 is no where near 0.7....

Thats a good question, they never told me what program they were running but I checked their info against various internet sites (maybe not a good way to do it) and they gave me very similar information. Now I feel like even more of a putz, I can't remember all of the sites I used, kbapps.com was one of them and it verified what the shop was telling me.

If there is any chance you have software (or could lead me to it) I'd appreciate if you could run it for me and see what Q.7 would actually be and what I am running in .55cuft right now. I have a Mac so WINisd doens't work.

In case the T/H parameters have changed for the RL-p12 here is what they were when I bought it.

Sound Splinter Premium 12

Md

As I said; the Rl-p models horribly. Their box program is correct; using those specs, a .54cuft enclosure should give you a Qtc of .707 (trust me, I just did it by hand using the formulas).

However, this box size is not actually accurate for the Rl-p (for whatever reason). So, you can't use those formula's/box programs to accurately predict the best enclosure for the Rl-p

The best thing to do is look at the recommendations by SS for the Rl-p, which in this case happens to be ~.75cuft to 1.5cuft. So, if you want something a little more "punchy" and "tight", go with a box size on the smaller side of the recommendation range (.8-1.15cuft would be good). If you want something with a little more bottom end, flatter frequency response and little better transient response, go with something on the larger side of the recommendation range (~1.15cuft - 1.5cuft would be good). If you want performance close to that of a Qtc .707, aim for the middle (as Acid said, somewhere around 1 - 1.25cuft)

Acid? :P squeak been on some acid :D

ya, what'd i say?

ya, what'd i say?

That you like men in a sexual way.

Sorry, I meant Aneon :Doh:

ya, what'd i say?

That you like men in a sexual way.

Sorry, I meant Aneon :Doh:

*cough,cough* i believe i recommended 1.25ft^3 in the very first response to this problem *cough,cough* and even stated teh .55ft^3 was just too small....so y'all need to recgonize and get off my nuts...phools...

:fryingpan::owned::nutkick:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Yeah, but nobody listens to you........ :P

:lol2:

Sorry Kent, didn't remember you'd said that when I typed my response :fart:

Yeah, but nobody listens to you........ :P

:lol2:

Sorry Kent, didn't remember you'd said that when I typed my response :fart:

it's kewl brad...ur right..noone listens to me.....<goes to corner to sand on jim's cabinets>

and drink beer!!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: