SuBXeRo

Another door question :)

I have been eyeing secondskin for about 3-4 years now i think and just never got around to using it. I got a 2008 altima 4 door with the 2.5 and well, weight is an issue for me overall. The car is amazing at hauling heavy loads up hill but im just worried about responsiveness. I plan to put in some Rainbow SLC 6.5 NG's and i want to kinda beef up the door a bit. I was looking at the Damp lite and was figuring that with its cost and realtive weight to square foot that this would be the product for me. Im not doing any SPL comps, just looking to increase the sound quality of my audio system while reducing door vibration. I am also trying to be cost concious with whatever i do.

Any suggestions on the amount that i would need? It is a 4 door and i will add comps to the rear door since it already has a midbass cutout, so 4 doors and then probably a layer to the rear deck as well as the trunk lid.

I'd rather save weight by not using rears than by using less acoustic treatments. Net effect would be better sound as well :)

Perhaps it would help us help you more though if you shared your actual goals. Right now we just know you want to "beef" up your doors which isn't easy for us to give you info on.

I have been eyeing secondskin for about 3-4 years now i think and just never got around to using it. I got a 2008 altima 4 door with the 2.5 and well, weight is an issue for me overall. The car is amazing at hauling heavy loads up hill but im just worried about responsiveness. I plan to put in some Rainbow SLC 6.5 NG's and i want to kinda beef up the door a bit. I was looking at the Damp lite and was figuring that with its cost and realtive weight to square foot that this would be the product for me. Im not doing any SPL comps, just looking to increase the sound quality of my audio system while reducing door vibration. I am also trying to be cost concious with whatever i do.

Any suggestions on the amount that i would need? It is a 4 door and i will add comps to the rear door since it already has a midbass cutout, so 4 doors and then probably a layer to the rear deck as well as the trunk lid.

how bout a diet?

haha jk, every time i add more shit to my car i just say, hey if im worried about weight i could just not fill my gas tank all the way up...

but anyways, give us info like m5 suggested..

Welp, the best way to explain the situation is by copying what i posted in the sundown forum like 2 mins ago. This should explain it all :).

For reference purposes, i have a 2008 altima 2.5s with stock non-bose audio. Its a 4 speaker system 6.5" comps in the front and 6x9's in the rear deck. There are cutouts and grills already in the rear door for the bose system but no apeakers in them since i didn't get that package.

I was planning to buy a SAX 100.4D and then some rainbow SLC 265.25 NG comps for the front which would be woofer in door and tweeter in dash (stock locations) anfd then a second set in the rear doors with the stock woofer location and i would have to drill a location for the tweeters. I am not sure what i want to do with the rear deck as of now. What would you do?

I am also planning to upgrade to a yellowtop and redo the the body grounds with some 2 gauge cable. I was also going to sound deaden the doors with second skin damp lite me thinks. I was also going to buy monster cable wire. I know its more expensive and its just wire, i happen to really like them, i like the shielding quality that they put on them. I am trying to stick with the 200 series where possible and then the 300 for the thicker gauge wires.

My concern too is weight, with the additon of second skin it adds weight, it is a 2.5s and is a 4 cylinder so im not trying to bog it down. I won't be doing everything at one time, i will be doing it in pieces. The battery will probably be the last on my list with new grounds being a priority. I will probably second skin it before i get the comps or amp, but then again, it depends on where i am financially when i get the urge to do things. I am in AZ and its still bloddy hott during the day and i live in an APT so waiting until it's cooler out isnt a big issue.

What is your goal with the deadening? And how much weight is not acceptable?

What is your goal with the deadening? And how much weight is not acceptable?

I agree. The more we know about what is acceptable the better off you will be via our help.

When considering weight, it is kind of a toss.

You can use something like the Damplifier Lite, but in order to get the same results that you would get with Damplifier Pro, or our SPL Tiles, then you would literaly need 2 or 3 layers of Damp Lite.

By the time you figure it all out, you might end up adding the same amount of weight regardless of what product you use (when performance is equal)

ANT

I am just trying to reduce the vibrations on the door. The tinny sound is what really gets me all the time. I hate it. I was just thinking of doing a single coat to help improve sound and get rid of the tinny noise, just want things to sound more solid. Now, like base in the trunk, if i did do subs again, i would have to go with damp pro, the trunk on this thing is really tinny sounding as is.

I have never done a damping install so my judgement of how much material would be needed isn't good, i suppose that that would be a better place to start and then i can work from there.

I am just trying to reduce the vibrations on the door. The tinny sound is what really gets me all the time. I hate it. I was just thinking of doing a single coat to help improve sound and get rid of the tinny noise, just want things to sound more solid. Now, like base in the trunk, if i did do subs again, i would have to go with damp pro, the trunk on this thing is really tinny sounding as is.

I have never done a damping install so my judgement of how much material would be needed isn't good, i suppose that that would be a better place to start and then i can work from there.

Gotcha..

There are a number of ways you can go about it.

To reduce harmonic resonance, all you need is a little bit small amount of coverage with a solid performing product. Damplifier Pro or our SPL tiles wold work

If you really want to provide a more solid envoironment for the door speaker to perform in, go with a solid layer on each of the doors skins.

Most of our customers go with about 8-12 sq feet per door depending on the car.

To save money though you might want to start with a singel door pack of Damplifier Pro for 2 doors, or maybe 6 or 7 SPLT Tiles per door.

Feel free to call me with any questions

623-533-8193

I will be happy to answer any questions you have in person!

Hope that helps!

ANT

its mainly bass resonance in the door, its also the body panels flexing a bit. The car is a great car but i dont think the body panels and such are as thick as they were in my old car which was a 96 i30. I have yet to really open the door but i am planning to see what i think i am hearing.

When was the question, not what ;) Just trying to help determine the best way to attack this, but it will help to know when it occurs.

By bass resonance I am not sure if you mean road generated, speaker generated etc..

it is speaker generated. The car is just fine with road noise, i mean, some stuff rattles in my car, but then agaim, things are still new and not worn in yet, i try to tackle the lose screws and panels that grind interior wise, but as for like road noise and what not, its all good.

I made up a nice little excel spreadsheet that figures some numbers for me on price/sq foot, weight/square foot for the different amounts and the SPL tiles by far are the most expensive and will not be an option. I also looked at the total weights and even if i did the spl tiles, the weight addition isnt as drastic as i thought it would be which makes me quite optimistic about things. Due to the high price, the Damp pro is out the door as well. I am using the 8-12sqft per dor as my guideline and uing 12 feet to figure all of my calculations. I dont want to miss any spots :). Also keep in mind i am looking at this application as just one layer for right now. After comparins prices between damp and damp lite, there is a bit of a toss up in the end of which one i will get. the damp wont hurt but the lack there of with damp lite could make me mad if it doesnt work as well as i wanted it to. I will have to think on it and do some more research, i dont want to have to spend more than i need to, and im usually the one to go gung ho and spare no expense.

One thing to keep in mind, is that our SPL Tiles might weigh more, and cost more per square foot, but you need less of them to get the desired results.

Same thing goes for Damplifier Pro.

There is not another product in its class that will yield similar results. It is the absolute best product available in its class!

While doing a solid layer of damper will yield awesome reults, it is not always required.

ANT

There is not another product in its class that will yield similar results. It is the absolute best product available in its class!

Nothing not even similar? How exactly did you test them to come to this conclusion?