F-150 Murphy

help me

I just got a Kicker L7 12 2 ohm and I have an alpine m500 amp, i know its underpowered but it seems to be bottoming out or clipping. It just sounds awful. I dont know if i described this very well just ask and ill provide information where needed. Is it just a tuning problem? Also it will just cut off when the volume gets to loud.

how do u got it wired, the sub i mean to the amp...

Is the sub wired in parallel to 1ohm?

yes u should considering you have a dual 2 ohm sub.

If you have a multimeter, get it out, touch probes together so u can get inaccuracy reading off of them if reads above 0.0(just subtract the number u get from the actual reading) and then touch these probes on the amp's speaker terminal when the stereo is OFF.

IF you get a reading of around 0.6-1 ohm, that's why it's cutting off... if it's 1.2-1.8ohm, you have a coil out or disconnected but would not contribute to why you have problems, if you are reading 2.8-3.9, you have it wired correctly.

yes u should considering you have a dual 2 ohm sub.

If you have a multimeter, get it out, touch probes together so u can get inaccuracy reading off of them if reads above 0.0(just subtract the number u get from the actual reading) and then touch these probes on the amp's speaker terminal when the stereo is OFF.

IF you get a reading of around 0.6-1 ohm, that's why it's cutting off... if it's 1.2-1.8ohm, you have a coil out or disconnected but would not contribute to why you have problems, if you are reading 2.8-3.9, you have it wired correctly.

i dont have one of those :[. do you think it could be due to a bad amp tune that its clipping?

meh... clipping doesnt shut off the amp.

when an amp cuts off without you actually looking at it when it does, it's usually due to the following-

Protection circuit engaged because...

Low Voltage

Thermal limit

Short circuit

Other reasons-

Speaker wire loose

Tinsel leads loose\damaged

wrong wiring configuration(wrong ohm load)

wire other than speaker wire is loose - remote, ground, power, etc... (also fuse connection)

If it's none of those... and u still don't know what it is... get more info about the problem and present it.

400 posts and that is all the information we get in a thread. Holy crap. :(

You know we could help, you also know we can't with the information given. WTF??

I asked a friend what he thought and he said a burnt voice coil :[ are there any other possible explanations? i might post a video of it later. It sounds great on high notes but bottoms out on low notes

swap the sub to rule out the amp having any issues.. the sub could be damaged... although i can really say for certain from the video, but the sub sounds fucked up... could be the mic on the camera....

swap the sub to rule out the amp having any issues.. the sub could be damaged... although i can really say for certain from the video, but the sub sounds fucked up... could be the mic on the camera....

that mic causes no distortion

ewww sounds like plastic slapping around.... probably isn't good. check the sub out...

no idea, pull the sub and inspect it. put a dmm on the coils, push the cone down and check for rubbing.. what that sub baught new? how long have u had it? has it always made that sound?

need more info

no, i would at first say check to make sure your box isn't falling apart but since you said it does this in free air... then it definitely sounds like the former is damaged

no, i would at first say check to make sure your box isn't falling apart but since you said it does this in free air... then it definitely sounds like the former is damaged

Yeah it does this in free air. What is a former?

bump:ehh:

Try google'ing it or just wait for someone to answer the question for ya.