Aaron Clinton

Audio Terminology

If you have any additions, updates, or corrections please post them. :)

Three Point: Positioned inside the sub, this is the name given to the area where the voice coil, cone and spider meet.

add Triple Joint to this...

:)

great information here.

Three Point: Positioned inside the sub, this is the name given to the area where the voice coil, cone and spider meet.

add Triple Joint to this...

:)

great information here.

Thanks, updated. :)

Beaming:

Not positive to what to correct definintion would be though? a term used to describe a speaker with narrow dispersion characteristics.

Beaming:

Not positive to what to correct definintion would be though? a term used to describe a speaker with narrow dispersion characteristics.

Ehh...not really.

I would maybe define beaming as a term used to describe the narrowing off-axis disperson of a loudspeaker as frequency increases due to the relationship between the wavelength of the sound wave and cone diameter.

Beaming:

Ehh...not really.

I would maybe define beaming as a term used to describe the narrowing off-axis disperson of a loudspeaker as frequency increases due to the relationship between the wavelength of the sound wave and cone diameter.

When you say "maybe" I question your definition.

How does Cone Diameter directly affect beaming?

I would guess that the lower the frequency the less chance of beaming you have. Bass is omnidirectional, so you really never have to consider off axis response on those (EDIT: subwoofers). Where as tweeters, it's a huge concern when choosing them.

All these answer's SEEM to be missing something? Oh yeah, Confidence. Words's like "maybe" and "guess" don't exactly exert alot of confidence in your answer's.shrug.gif IDK?

That's because I'm not positive on my response. Based on Impious's response, I believe mine makes sense.

Yes all said answer's make sense, But all said answer's SEEM only partial? shrug.gif IDK?

I think WE all agree on WHAT Beaming is, But WHAT is the direct relationship between cone dia. and Beaming?shrug.gif IDK?

He used maybe so as not to call his definition something that is 100% complete. Not as in what he said wasn't right. That is my guess anyways as I know Brad understands beaming.

Basically as the wavelength of the sound you are playing gets smaller in relation to the cone diameter you have the opportunity for the sound wave to have both constructive and destructive interference. This creates a non-uniform dispersion pattern as in some directions at some frequencies the sound is added to (constructive inteference) and at some it is reduced (destructive) and of course this changes with frequency.

Without understanding wave equations and acoustic propagation beaming isn't ever going to be straightforward. What you need to realize is that the higher in frequency you want to play the smaller diameter of driver is required to do it with even spherical sound distribution. *obviously completely even never exists, but as a generalization I think you can understand what I am saying.

I think WE all agree on WHAT Beaming is, But WHAT is the direct relationship between cone dia. and Beaming?shrug.gif IDK?

Lol, it isn't that simple as it is frequency dependent. Obviously you can make a generalization of 1/4wavelength or 1/2 wavelength as a rule of thumb, but that isn't 100% the case.

Thank you guy's for having the patience to teach me and other's. I ALWAYS like to make sure my thinking in not frawed. I trust the Audio Tech's on here, and know you guy's don't post unless you have GREAT certainty in you answer's. SO THANKS AGAIN.smile.gif

Beaming:

Ehh...not really.

When you say "maybe" I question your definition.

How does Cone Diameter directly affect beaming?

I used "maybe" because I hadn't given more than a moments thought to the wording of my definition, thus it was subject to revision if I came up with something that was worded either more cleverly or more comprehensively.

Well get rid of the maybe and add the defintion to list already!!! This is a very solid answer.smile.gif

Audiophile: A species of dedicated audio nutt who actually read's definitions like this.

Audiophile: A species of dedicated audio nutt who don't need to read definitions like this since they already know them.

adjusted to make it a bit closer...

Comb Filter Effect

This acoustical and electronic effect occurs when two signals interact in such a way as to produce an irregular spiked and choppy response pattern. When graphed on paper, this pattern looks like the teeth of a comb, hence the name. This effect is frequently the product of overlapping outputs from the various drivers in the system. It can develop in either a single speaker between the individual drivers, or between unmatched sets of speakers. This same effect can also be produced by wall reflections and other room anomalies. The usual remedy for this, if it becomes objectionable, (not every instance is even perceived as such) is to make sure the Crossover set points are appropriate for the drivers being used, or that the crossover is operating correctly. Obviously, one should also use only compatible speaker sets.

Audiophile: A species of dedicated audio nutt who don't need to read definitions like this since they already know them.

adjusted to make it a bit closer...

Hey what happened to fixored?

Yes I am a young bull.smile.gif

Edited by j-roadtatts

Damping Factor

The ratio of rated load impedance to the internal impedance of an amplifier. The higher the value, the more efficiently an amplifier can control unwanted movement of the speaker coil. A high damping factor is crucial for large speakers that reproduce bass. Usually the higher the number, the better, although it is debatable if anything over 50 is audible. Damping factor is calculated by dividing the load (speaker) impedance by the output impedance of the amplifier. Thus, a given amplifier’s damping factor will decrease as the speaker’s impedance decreases. This means an amp optimized at 4 ohms will provide tighter bass than at 2 ohms.

Phase cancellation (Destructive interference)

A phenomenon that occurs when speakers are 180 degrees out of phase, i.e., what one speaker is trying to produce, the other speaker is fighting to cancel. One speaker's wave is in the positive phase (rarefaction), while the other speaker's wave is in the negative phase (compression).

Damping Factor

The ratio of rated load impedance to the internal impedance of an amplifier. The higher the value, the more efficiently an amplifier can control unwanted movement of the speaker coil. A high damping factor is crucial for large speakers that reproduce bass. Usually the higher the number, the better, although it is debatable if anything over 50 is audible. Damping factor is calculated by dividing the load (speaker) impedance by the output impedance of the amplifier. Thus, a given amplifier’s damping factor will decrease as the speaker’s impedance decreases. This means an amp optimized at 4 ohms will provide tighter bass than at 2 ohms.

The sentences highlighted in red are rubbish and should be excluded from any viable definition of DF.

For more information on damping factor see here: Damping Factor