gotsqtoo?

Fi Q Minimum RMS?

I am looking for more SQ than anything, with some good output of course. I plan to run an old school Linear Power 8002SW to two of these possibly. Would they be underpowered?

If you are not familiar with this monster of an amp then please do not respond.

I guess a 'minimum' would be 1 watt :)

What kind of power does that amp do?

LOL you beat me to it I was going to say 1 watt. Oh well.

Why do you people do this? Make stupid comments to humor yourselves. Some subs will work well with say 500 watts, but they can handle quite a bit more...like 1000rms. Will the Fi Q perform well with 500-600 watts rms in a sealed enclosure.

No need to tell you the power ratings of the Linear Power 8002SW. The amp is a monster and if you have never heard of it, you haven't been in car audio very long. It's a legend. Linear Power are pretty much top of the line when it comes to car amplifiers and are the most under rated of any I have used in the past 20 years.

Its not that amazing of an amp...

Secondly, you asked a dumb question so they gave you a dumb answer. There's no such thing as a minimum requirement for a sub.

That said, the Qs will run fine off of 5-600 watts. You'd be better off running a single Q ported rather than two sealed.

Secondly, you asked a dumb question so they gave you a dumb answer. There's no such thing as a minimum requirement for a sub.

That said, the Qs will run fine off of 5-600 watts. You'd be better off running a single Q ported rather than two sealed.

"It's not that amazing of an amp" So hilarious!!! That's why this 15-20 year old amp still sells for 1K-1300 on ebay to this day. In good shape , mind you.

You are quite pompous.

If you really knew what you were talking about you wouldn't be asking this question, because you'd already know that there is no minimum. A speaker will continue to have more excursion and more output in a very linear and predictable way with added power. More power = more of those two things. So unless you want to quantify a minimum excursion level in a given box, we can't tell you how much power it will take to get where you want it to be.

I'll give you a hypothetical.

10 watts = 1 mm excursion

50 watts = 5 mm excursion

100 watts = 10 mm excursion

200 watts = 15 mm excursion

500 watts = 20 mm excursion

1000 watts = 28 mm excursion.

So where along that chart would you qualify the sub as being "underpowered?" The numbers are made up but the situation is real.

"It's not that amazing of an amp" So hilarious!!! That's why this 15-20 year old amp still sells for 1K-1300 on ebay to this day. In good shape , mind you.

I dont care what people pay for them. There are MANY, MANY amps that will outperform that one.

BTW: It didnt even put out rated power back in 1991.

Fails 1/3 power test

Only 660 watts

ive got 2 12''qs and they are powered by two pdx 600.1 and they sound great but still are wanting more power, if you under power them you tend to want to turn the bass knob up and that ends in clipping them... if you only have that much power i would go with maybe the smaller sub ssd

Yep, that amp is more hype than sweet. Nothing wrong with it though as it will do what you need. On top of that it is really absurd to put an "SQ" amp on a sub. You'd be hard pressed to hear 5% distortion so really a high efficiency amplifier makes a lot more sense.

If you are truly into SQ no matter what amp you have you will be much more concerned with blending it with your front stage and a couple hundred watts ought to get you there unless you have some monstrous midbass drivers up front.

Why do you people do this? Make stupid comments to humor yourselves. Some subs will work well with say 500 watts, but they can handle quite a bit more...like 1000rms. Will the Fi Q perform well with 500-600 watts rms in a sealed enclosure.

No need to tell you the power ratings of the Linear Power 8002SW. The amp is a monster and if you have never heard of it, you haven't been in car audio very long. It's a legend. Linear Power are pretty much top of the line when it comes to car amplifiers and are the most under rated of any I have used in the past 20 years.

I do not know what kind of power a 15 year old amp does.

I have heard of linear power..I have had some of the stuff years ago...we've wound custom coils for a guy who has a bunch of old linear power amps.

I do not know how much power that amp does...which is why I asked.

Again, How much power does it do? At what impedance?

I dont care what people pay for them. There are MANY, MANY amps that will outperform that one.

Fails 1/3 power test

Only 660 watts

Outperform in what way? There are some that are more powerful of course. Very few that sound as good and have as much control. This amp was way ahead of it's time. Name another amp that makes 1250 watts rms @ 8 ohm and also has a built in servo feedback circuit to monitor and correct damping in real time. You can't.

So how did they come to have this nostalgia?

Until you have owned just about every amp that was made over the last 20 years and been able to personally compare Linear to those amps in a real amplication, then you have nothing to say.

I have heard a Linear Power 2202 power 2 12's that sounded like most other 800 watt amps. This is off of an amp that is suppose to be 220 watts. They do not distort. They are so clean it's magical.

Fails 1/3 power test

Only 660 watts

This guy made up this post because he has a hard on for dissing Linear Power. Everyone that was around back then remembers this test and the Linears were raved. They were just on the pricey side. Didn't you ever wonder why the guy never posting the actual scan?

ive got 2 12''qs and they are powered by two pdx 600.1 and they sound great but still are wanting more power, if you under power them you tend to want to turn the bass knob up and that ends in clipping them... if you only have that much power i would go with maybe the smaller sub ssd

My amp would drown your two amps. Thanks for the opinion!

I can build a amp that is the size of your hand, greater than 90% efficient..and cleaner...and has the exact same function of the LP amp...

Those amps are horridly inefficient (40% at best on a good day)...

It is nostalgic because people remember how 'great' the Shelby GT-500 was...and that's why they pay for it. It brings back memories of days past...

Not saying that it is not a good amp...because it is (as is the GT-500). But to act as if it is the holy grail that you are drinking out of is a bit foolish...

Much of that is hype. There are a few people on DIYma who found out the hard way.

Until you have owned just about every amp that was made over the last 20 years and been able to personally compare Linear to those amps in a real amplication, then you have nothing to say.

I have heard a Linear Power 2202 power 2 12's that sounded like most other 800 watt amps. This is off of an amp that is suppose to be 220 watts. They do not distort. They are so clean it's magical.

So clean its magical DOESN'T matter for shit on subs, you cannot hear distortion even on a pretty cheap class D amp. No way, no how.

I have also heard an LP on a front stage and will say that it wasn't any more impressive than ANY other quality amp that I have heard. You bought into the fairy dust marketing hype big time. If not why not prove Richard Clark wrong with your "magical" amp.

Stop trying to hype up your antique amp, and throw some real power at that Q or just power it with what you have. There is no problem with underpowering a sub, 1 watt will get it going to over 1000 watts will make it fail, so anywhere in that range and your cool.

258Troll_spray.jpg

So clean its magical DOESN'T matter for shit on subs, you cannot hear distortion even on a pretty cheap class D amp. No way, no how.

I have also heard an LP on a front stage and will say that it wasn't any more impressive than ANY other quality amp that I have heard. You bought into the fairy dust marketing hype big time. If not why not prove Richard Clark wrong with your "magical" amp.

It's people like you who shouldn't even have car audio as a hobby. If you can't hear the difference from a class a/b to a class d on subs, you shouldn't even upgrade your stock system. Ridiculous.

No need to prove Richard Clark wrong. I have owned just about every amp made in the past 20 years and still have about 70 amps at the moment, all old school, and nothing sounds like Linear Power. Nothing.

I would bet money that not one person that has replied and downplayed my amp has even owned one....that shows alot about your opinions.

This is what you guys do. Join the crowd and attack the guy with the REAL experience instead of the guys who talk shit and know nothing. It's you that will miss out.

As far as efficiency, lets see some pictures of your claims of my amp being 40% efficient. Lets see your meter reading an 8002SW at being 40% efficient. Didn't think so. Just another thing you read on the internet.

Are you mad that you asked a dumb question and got a dumb answer back?

People are allowed to form opinions about products. That's the beauty of the internet you can search and find info about things. Just because they haven't experienced that amp themselves is no reason to discredit them. Some did their research and posted what they found.

Sorry that your holy grail of a amp isn't as good as you want us all to believe.

I would bet money that not one person that has replied and downplayed my amp has even owned one....that shows alot about your opinions.

This is what you guys do. Join the crowd and attack the guy with the REAL experience instead of the guys who talk shit and know nothing. It's you that will miss out.

As far as efficiency, lets see some pictures of your claims of my amp being 40% efficient. Lets see your meter reading an 8002SW at being 40% efficient. Didn't think so. Just another thing you read on the internet.

your doing a good job of making everyone not want to help you at all.

people on the forum kid around and if you cant take it then stop posting.

your just making it worse by arguing with everyone.

if you've been into car audio for 20 years how do you have no idea that under powering a sub is perfectly fine?