liljestrand

false floor.

So I'm going to attempt to make a false floor in my scion xb. Back there now there is a storage compartment type thing above the spare tire. I'm going to try to make a tray for my amp to sit in. Its a Saz-1000d.

Here's my question. I'm going to put some fans in so that I can put the false floor over the amp. Will this have sufficient airflow? Maybe like 2 120 mm fans on each side, 2 pushing and 2 pulling.

Will this be a problem?

Edited by liljestrand

So I'm going to attempt to make a false floor in my scion xb. Back there now there is a storage compartment type thing above the spare tire. I'm going to try to make a tray for my amp to sit in. Its a Saz-1000d.

Here's my question. I'm going to put some fans in so that I can put the false floor over the amp. Will this have sufficient airflow? Maybe like 2 120 mm fans on each side, 2 pushing and 2 pulling.

Will this be a problem?

Pix of the trunk?

I will have to wait till monday for pics. At work atm and will be out of town tomorrow. Xb's are considered wagons so instead of a trunk its a cargo area. There is a false floor with a cargo tray. My thinking is that tray is a lil taller than the amp itself. So I may just fab up a box to put the amp into. I'm just worried about airflow.

The push/pull setup is a good idea, how many fans would depend on the volume of the enclosed area and how powerful the little guys are (the fans)

so are you planning on the fans firing vertical?

will they have obstructions placed on top at any time?

i have seen some sweet installs incorporating a plexiglass top, with like 1" or so, air holes spaced across the entire surface, add a little lighting, couple of fans, you would be looking sharp. :drink40:

the idea of the above style is the fans will be inside the tray, faceing horizontally.....the heat has plenty of areas to rise out of there and the fans keep the air moving.....

frosting the plex is sorta simple and is a easy cheat for future scratches, the combo of the lighting with the air holes and the frosted glass gives a nice look.

I think he might be asking about a false floor for security purposes, so the amp is hidden. At least thats how i interpreted it correct me if im wrong. :drink40:

uh, if that is the case, don't go with what chop said, it will sorta stand out! :Doh:

Well...its not for security purposes....just kinda something out of the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270460414190&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_972

I bought one of those. I'm gonna try it with one fan to start with. I don't think it will have too much of a cooling problem.

Cool... well make sure to update us with pics or let us know if you have any problems :drink40:

Will do....I started a build log. Not much in there atm. Waiting for a bunch of stuff to show up in the mail. Went a lil crazy on ebay the other night.

Went a lil crazy on ebay the other night.

Story of my life! The best deals can often be found there though :fing34:

Went a lil crazy on ebay the other night.

Story of my life! The best deals can often be found there though :fing34:

Oh I know it. Got some 2/0 welding cable 20' for 30 bucks. And a fosgate 2/0 fuse holder for 13.

those cross flow fans are pretty nice. just be sure they can get air from somewhere fresh.. if you hide them under some carpeting or small crack they cannt push/pull to much air.

so if you have to build some kinda duct work you might want to put a extra fan on both ends at the ends of the duct work.

if you dont mind cutting into some factory side panels then i would say get some air vents out of a junk yard to your style you like. i personally like the camaro or PT cruiser air vents, the camero has small 1inch wide by about 5inch long vents that are pretty flat so you can just cut a hole in your hanel and run the duct work to your fan setup and it shouldnt stick out to much.

my favorite so far is the pt cruiser air bents since they are round and vents can be turned to any angle and also fully closed this way you can paint them to match if you wish and simply push the vent over and have it closed so it just looks like a cap when showing off the car, then just open the vents back up for the system.

those cross flow fans are pretty nice. just be sure they can get air from somewhere fresh.. if you hide them under some carpeting or small crack they cannt push/pull to much air.

so if you have to build some kinda duct work you might want to put a extra fan on both ends at the ends of the duct work.

if you dont mind cutting into some factory side panels then i would say get some air vents out of a junk yard to your style you like. i personally like the camaro or PT cruiser air vents, the camero has small 1inch wide by about 5inch long vents that are pretty flat so you can just cut a hole in your hanel and run the duct work to your fan setup and it shouldnt stick out to much.

my favorite so far is the pt cruiser air bents since they are round and vents can be turned to any angle and also fully closed this way you can paint them to match if you wish and simply push the vent over and have it closed so it just looks like a cap when showing off the car, then just open the vents back up for the system.

Are you saying the vents should be receiving air from the outside of the car?

I'll try and find some pics, but I did a false floor for a friend of mine. He had a 2007 Xb, we put a pair of 10" Pioneer Shallow mount subs, and a Rockford 1001bd in the floor with two small cooling fans on the front and the back of the enclosure. I put a sheet of Lexan over the amp, and blue L.E.D.'s all around the amp. I made a shelf to fit over the floor, gave it about 3-4 inches clearance between the subs and the shelf and the shelf was the same size and shape as he Scion carpet that was there from the factory. If anyone looked in the back window all you'd see was the factory carpet, no box. Downside was he had to pull the spare tire out to fit it all.

Here's the only pic I still have loaded, you can still see the cooling fans in this pic. We ended up making another trim panel to hide that part too, but just never took a pic of it.

9.jpg

Here's the only pic I still have loaded, you can still see the cooling fans in this pic. We ended up making another trim panel to hide that part too, but just never took a pic of it.

9.jpg

Thats a good idea....can't really shallow mount the fi q lol. I dunno how much room the 07 has, the 08's and up have quite a bit of room. I think i may just be able to mount the sub underneath the floor in there already.