ridn.strappd

True rms power for a BTL?

I've got a 12" fi BTL fully loaded in a 2.63^ft ported enclosure. Im powering it with a hifonics bxi2610d amp wired at 1ohm. Hifonics says it will push 2600rms at 1ohm but i feel like thats a little over-rated. I get a little bit of excursion here and there and im worried i might blow the sub? Everyone says its practically impossible to blow a BTL, but im still a little concerned. What do you guys think?

I've got a 12" fi BTL fully loaded in a 2.63^ft ported enclosure. Im powering it with a hifonics bxi2610d amp wired at 1ohm. Hifonics says it will push 2600rms at 1ohm but i feel like thats a little over-rated. I get a little bit of excursion here and there and im worried i might blow the sub? Everyone says its practically impossible to blow a BTL, but im still a little concerned. What do you guys think?

Any subwoofer can be blown, so whomever said that about the BTL steered you wrong. That amp will be fine, what is the enclosure's tuning frequency. The sub is supposed to be excurting, thats what they do.

What are the setting on the amp?

LPF= 80 Hz or lower

SSF= depends on enclosure tuning

Bass Boost= Odb

Phase= 0

Gain= How did you set it? Shoud be set by DMM (read tutorial under Amplifiers, Headunits/ Electrical Thread called Setting Amps Gain).

Head-unit

Loud= Off

Bass Boost/Extend= Off

Turn the bass boost off and set the subsonic filter.

I'm a dumbass, sorry i meant "distortion". and ive got the gain all the way up, the bass boost all the way down, ive got the bass knob hooked up and i turn that up all the way every once in a while when i want it real loud. Im not sure what the box is tuned to tho, the port measures 2in wide, almost 20in long, 16"deep, and the L shape continunes about 6 inches inside the box if you know what im saying, i dont know what terms to use to explain. im guessing low 30's hz because it hits the lows real nice and deep but the highs kind of sound like shit. amps subsonic is at about half way and the low pass is at about 60% up, the phase is at 0.

I'm a dumbass, sorry i meant "distortion". and ive got the gain all the way up, the bass boost all the way down, ive got the bass knob hooked up and i turn that up all the way every once in a while when i want it real loud. Im not sure what the box is tuned to tho, the port measures 2in wide, almost 20in long, 16"deep, and the L shape continunes about 6 inches inside the box if you know what im saying, i dont know what terms to use to explain. im guessing low 30's hz because it hits the lows real nice and deep but the highs kind of sound like shit. amps subsonic is at about half way and the low pass is at about 60% up, the phase is at 0.

Gain should be set using a DMM (digital multimeter) turn it down to about 50% or 60% until you get a DMM and set it right. The Low Pass Filter should be around 40%-50%, see which one sounds better. Sub Sonic Filter should be around 25% of the way up, Phase should be 0 and Bass Boost on Off.

When you get the settings changed get back to us and give feedback if it does sound better.

SSF needs to be 2-3Hz below the tuning of the enclosure.

Thanks, Ill see if i can find some time tomorrow to do the tuning on the amp. neighbors called the cops today, need to find a new spot to play it! haha.

You guys always seem to have the answers i need, the helps appreciated :)

Thanks, Ill see if i can find some time tomorrow to do the tuning on the amp. neighbors called the cops today, need to find a new spot to play it! haha.

:(

Stop being a social menace

You dont need it to be playing at full tilt to do some tuning, be respectful to those around you (stop degrading the Car Audio Industry).

Turn everything up and keep your hand on the volume, put on the loudest song you have and when the cone starts sounding overlapped, doubled, clangy, keep the volume full and turn down the gains until it sounds somewhat warm or neutral. Distortion sounds like the motor flapping back & forth too fast, and the cone can't stay linear, but I mean the motor will start sounding like a tin can and not bass.

Am I the only one that lives in the country?

Turn everything up and keep your hand on the volume, put on the loudest song you have and when the cone starts sounding overlapped, doubled, clangy, keep the volume full and turn down the gains until it sounds somewhat warm or neutral. Distortion sounds like the motor flapping back & forth too fast, and the cone can't stay linear, but I mean the motor will start sounding like a tin can and not bass.

FYI Do not do that at full volume............. Headunits will clip the signal to the RCA's before full volume is reached. Try setting the gains with the headunit at 3/4 volume.

For example my Eclipse CD7200mk2 will clip the preouts at volume 69/80. Also bass boost will make the signal clip earlier.

Jono

...With That Advice, You Should Be Stranded On An Island With Funky Pups And Hifonics Amps In A Suzuki Sidekick. /endrant

If you have a XXX you don't deserve it. That is terrible advice.

If you have a XXX you don't deserve it. That is terrible advice.

lol x2

ah shit so i've been doin it wrong this whole time?! :shrug: