Sign in to follow this  
antonmiller

trunked car subwoofer enclosure question

Which Way?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which way should the box be made? (READ POST FIRST)

• top gap
    • side gap

Hi,

I am curious as to what the best way it is to have the system not be choked up in a trunk. currently my box leaves about 4-5 inches of room between it and the side of the opening that goes into the cabin from the trunk. so thats the only gap there is between the trunk and the cabin, unless you count the rear deck, but that doesnt let much air through. so im designing a new enclosure to fix this problem, now my question is, is it better to have space for air to flow above the box or on the side of the box? this will be for a sinlge 12" BTL, and if i do it with the airspace above the box i will have about 3 inches tall by around 28-30 inches wide of a gap between the sub box and the top of the opening, and if i do it on the side, i will have about 10 inches wide by about 16 inches tall (give or take some area because of angle side pieces). basically witch way should i do it? or should i try both and test? i just want to do it right, this time im going to seal off the rear deck so its no floping around so much like it is now, so there wont be any where for air to get through that anymore.

oh and if i didnt mention it the sub and port will be facing the trunk lid and my rear seat folds down. ill try to get some pics up later. any help or suggestions, or even theories will help me.

thanks

Edited by Anton Miller

if you are using a single sub in a cavalier if u want spl 49hz works real wellwoofer back port off the driver side firing 4 in. into the pocket depending on power i made 146.0 with a single dd 3512 in 2.5 cu. ft.3.25 in. of port firing in the corner not straight back. for sq tune the port to 37hz it pounds un godly. missed the world record in n.s.p.l 0-501 trunk by one tenth of a db.

its going to be a daily tune of 34 hz. i just want to know how i should let the sub breath into the cabin, how much space to i need between box and side of opening to be ample area for air to eisily go in and out of the trunk to the cabin. top or side opening?

5in. from the rear port 4 in. from driver's side of car my box was 17in. deep left ample amount of room to get around the box

5in. from the rear port 4 in. from driver's side of car my box was 17in. deep left ample amount of room to get around the box

sounds like my box i have right now, and its super choked off. ill snap some pics tomarro. i know it could go closer to the trunk lid, but not much before hitting 5-6inches away. but ill get some pics tomarro.

thanks for the help

its going to be a daily tune of 34 hz. i just want to know how i should let the sub breath into the cabin, how much space to i need between box and side of opening to be ample area for air to eisily go in and out of the trunk to the cabin. top or side opening?

By no means am I pro, but Im gonna guess the more air that you can allow in the more bass? So go with the one that allows more air flow, probably over the box. But like I said, not a pro, just trying to help more than that other guy lol

15t x 17d x 27 w port 3 in.w x 13.5 t port fires straight out the side for max efficiency box was 2.5 after woofer tuned to 40 which peaked at 49hz the resonant freq. of all cavaliers49-51hz but if you like the lows it will get it all the way to 33hz but very strong try these dimensions you wont be sorry

is anyone holding the trunk when u run on the mic

is anyone holding the trunk when u run on the mic

no.... i really should, but i hate to ask people to do me a favor. none of my friends really are into the audio scene so i usually go alone ot comps and i really dont like to ask strangers for a favor....

would its help to hold the trunk down?

not only does it help,, but it makes fat asses like me feel important! fing05.gif

chop

you know chop has a point if you find a couple true competitors(real ones) they r always willing to lend a hand in one way or another box designs help with the car and who knows maybe a friend when you show up at the next show.is your box removable try the specs i told you the length on the port is 13.5 long tuned to 40hz i changed my box ten times before i was happy different ports box sizes its never ending on my project thats what keeps me on top of my game.How many have you tried before you were happy if not find a Fatchick to sit on your trunk then you only have to have to worry about snail tracks but your score will go up!

:ehh: ^^^^^^^^ snail tracks = ftl.................> picking up trash basket, going to earl!

lol.

you get a fat chick to wiggle u have a friend for life anyway she might even try to follow ya home be CAREFUL

hey chop i see your link is to a assman hair trick its always a treat to see randy kubek in action the truck is only good for a 155 these days he changed the wall and his score went down. still a very impressive van but now up for sale 10,000 loaded he is coming out with an extreme blazer with 8 8in dd 1508s i got them for him. he competes on the local circuit with us he is a hell of a guy and a good friend too

ok so i think im just going to build box boxes and see which one perfroms better and then report back here when the results are done. so ive design up 2 boxes both tune to 34 hz with about the same port area. and they box have almost the same interior volum they are off by about .06 cu ft (like nothing).

so first here is the top gap box that i design its port is 11.25 high x 3.75 wide x 32" long and the interior volume is 2.4 cu ft. it will leave a gap of about 3.5" by around 20-23 inches long on the top. it also features a 2x4" on the back of the box for support as i couldnt get a support inside the box...

fibtltopgap_2-1.jpg

fibtltopgap_1.jpg

next is the side gap box. its port is 14.5 high x 2.875 wide x 32" long. it has 2.46 cu ft internally and will leave about a 8-9"" gap by 10-15 inches tall (angled sides) on the driver side. it also has a nicley rounded edge for that side of the box, i would assume it would help with flow.

fibtlsidegap_2.jpg

fibtlsidegap_1.jpg

please all comments and concerns welcome i just want to do it right.

Edited by Anton Miller

Box design number 2 is sexy, good luck with the testing.

thanks! and speaking of testing i went and got my alt tested, the one from motor city reman and it only does 30 amps at idle..... its going back as soon as i get time to take it off the car. (its snowing here other wise i would do it in the parking lot of my apartment complex)

thanks! and speaking of testing i went and got my alt tested, the one from motor city reman and it only does 30 amps at idle..... its going back as soon as i get time to take it off the car. (its snowing here other wise i would do it in the parking lot of my apartment complex)

Appreciate the info, you see I already took it from my signature. Guess Ill have to find one locally, but Ill wait till the time comes.

Why not just face the sub forward and seal off the whole trunk behind the front baffle? Solves the problem completely. Plus you have less volume to pressurize since you're taking the trunk out of the equation so your score will probably go up.

Why not just face the sub forward and seal off the whole trunk behind the front baffle? Solves the problem completely. Plus you have less volume to pressurize since you're taking the trunk out of the equation so your score will probably go up.

i dont think im ready to go through all the work to seal off the trunk from the cab just yet. i want to try this out. but yes eventually over some time i will do that. just not right now.

thanks for the input!

i dont think im ready to go through all the work to seal off the trunk from the cab just yet. i want to try this out. but yes eventually over some time i will do that. just not right now.

thanks for the input!

I'm curious on how the testing went esp since I am running a single 12" BTL in the trunk but am on the verge of sealing the trunk off with sub and port facing the cabin but if either of these turn out well I would def consider them

in my gf's elantra i have it sub up port back and i took out the factory 6x9's and cut out a section of sheet metal in the rear deck and with two 10" jbl power series on a single hifonics 1606bxi she got a 149.9 sealed up at the dash on the ac with the seats up.

I have an 03 cav and sealed off the trunk... get quite a bit of cancellation.. my highest score is a 147.3 legal sealed off.. im gonna build a box firing backwards and see what happens.

thanks for the input!

I'm curious on how the testing went esp since I am running a single 12" BTL in the trunk but am on the verge of sealing the trunk off with sub and port facing the cabin but if either of these turn out well I would def consider them

no testing has been done yet since none of the boxes are finished yet. when they are done ill post up some testing results by ear since i dont have a MIC, and i will also be using my BL for the initial tests. once i find a shop that doesnt charge 70$ to do some testing ill get some results up.