thebiggmann12

Box size difference

hey guys, i have a 18" fi q with bp power. im running it off of a 1600 rms hifonics amp. i have it in the back of a focus hatchback in a 6.3 cubic foot box tuned to 28 hz after displacement. my question is, if i take my backseat out i can build a bigger box. i dont use my backseat much so idc about that lol but say i built a 8 cubic foot box and tuned it the same, would there be any difference? if so what would the difference be besides no backseat?

lows could be better... build it and find out.

lol i dont really wanna waste 50 bucks on wood and 10 bucks on screws and glue if its not gonna make any difference.

it probly wont handle that 1600 wrms very well in a bigger enclosure like that. the lows should be better. the best thing to do is to try it out. no one will give you a yes or no answer on any forum from what im seeing. so im going to just say it again. your probly going to have to try it out to find out. if it doesnt work out for you then sell the box to some punk kid. lol

I would personally leave it how it is, sounds like a lot of work and monet your not willing to spend to find out (the lows would probably be slightly better but propably not to be noticeable if any.

What do you hope to gain. Without a goal it is ridiculous to recommend anything.

idk what im really looking for lol, i just want my lows to be louder, they are already loud, but i was just kinda wondering if i can get more from them with a bigger box. and im not running all 1600 watts to it, i have it turned down to 1300

"lows"

That was helpful. Considering your vague description you probably should just run what you have.

Trying different boxes is part of the hobby. Maybe you should look at how your sub woofer maps out in the box you have now and how it will in a larger box and see if there is enough of a difference in your target frequencies to make building a new box worth it to you. Also, consider the suggestions of what Fi gives, maybe even ask them directly here in the Fi forum.

im not sure how to be more specific about lows...do u want like frequencies? bc i dont know what they are. and what do u mean by finding out how my subwoofer maps out?

im not sure how to be more specific about lows...do u want like frequencies? bc i dont know what they are. and what do u mean by finding out how my subwoofer maps out?

I dont think your lows could get any better (they are probably at there optimal level now). It just might be time for another 18" Q only if you could fit it (I think it may be time to sell the Q and get 18" XCON).

i would love an xcon but i would have a hard time powering it...im a little low on cash, lol no job and everything...so i wouldnt b able to get enough power to it, without having to buy another amp. i was thinking maybe a bl tho...idk.

i would love an xcon but i would have a hard time powering it...im a little low on cash, lol no job and everything...so i wouldnt b able to get enough power to it, without having to buy another amp. i was thinking maybe a bl tho...idk.

Well with the way you like lows I would stay Xcon route if you upgrade but Im know expert. Since there is no such thing as underpowering, you have enough power for an Xcon (you dont have to give it its full 1750 for it to perform and perfom well, your amp will suit that subwoofer nicely). Just some food for thought.

o i thought they were much higher than that. im gonna look into that. thanx man.

What do you define as low 15? 20? 25? 30? Larger box size will allow for more low end extension but only so much. once you hit the drivers FS it'll unload and do harm. Power handling will also be greatly reduced with the larger box.

right around 25 hz. i like it to b loud around there. i listen to alot of chopped and screwed, and most of that stuff gets low low. and my setup right now gets it ok but i would like for it to just b a little louder that low.

most likely gonna have to build a big box with moderate port area. I think if you go to big with to much port area your gonna run an even bigger risk of damaging the driver. something like 9 cubes at 28hz with say 110-120sq/in of port

do u think i would b better off going with like an xcon or something like it?

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

night and day!!!

alright well i will have to look into it. thanx guys.

you may hear a lil difference, but a majority of the difference that you'll hear is from the enclosure as it's 80% of an install. i'd go with what memphis mzd said on port area. maybe a slightly smaller box tho, and maybe even a tad less port area per foot. tune 32-35 hz. i know you said you're jobless, but if you could get ahold of some aeros that'd be more efficient than a slot/square port and save some volume so you may be able to keep your back seats still, depending on how big the box needs to be

you may hear a lil difference, but a majority of the difference that you'll hear is from the enclosure as it's 80% of an install. i'd go with what memphis mzd said on port area. maybe a slightly smaller box tho, and maybe even a tad less port area per foot. tune 32-35 hz. i know you said you're jobless, but if you could get ahold of some aeros that'd be more efficient than a slot/square port and save some volume so you may be able to keep your back seats still, depending on how big the box needs to be

He wants some incredible lows, so tuning at 32-35Hz just isnt what he wants.

i got the new box done and im pretty sure its perfect...it sounds amazing. i think that if i want more, i will have to upgrade to a better sub

i got the new box done and im pretty sure its perfect...it sounds amazing. i think that if i want more, i will have to upgrade to a better sub

Whats the new box size and tuning of the enclosure?

6.3 cubes after port and sub displacement tuned to 26.5 hz.