tripslipfall

What's the best way to build a box?

Hey, I just built my first box. 2.18 cubic feet tuned to 34hz, for under the seat of a 2003 Silverado. The box sounds great, but looks horrible.

So, my questions are.

Do you use wood glue to hold the box together? Or just screws?

Do you use screws or nails?

What type of silicone do you use to seal the box?

Help is greatly appreciated.

And for those wondering; the box was built for an RE Audio SX 10", so far we've tested it with a Soundstream SPL 10" and it sounds great, the RE should be here in a few days.

Edited by TRiPP3R

Your first box will look like shit since you have not done it before. But I use screws and liquid nails. Or just wood glue if I have time.

Hey, I just built my first box. 2.18 cubic feet tuned to 34hz, for under the seat of a 2003 Silverado. The box sounds great, but looks horrible.

So, my questions are.

And for those wondering; the box was build for an RE Audio SX 10", so far we've tested it with a Soundstream SPL 10" and it sounds great, the RE should be here in a few days.

You could use different materials to build your box. Glue is the most important item to use in putting a box together (screws or nails are used to keep wood in place while glue dries, you can use clamps instead of screws or nails). I used Liquid Nails for my glue and my sealant. Most will tell you to use Tite Bond or some other type of wood glue. Sealent can be glue or silicone its up to you.

Everything to build a box can be bought form Lowes, Home Depot, Menards or your local hardware store. Some will say dont use Liquid Nails but I have no problem with it, my box is sturdy and strong (over a year and 2 months old, does well with 3-12" Kicker CVX's banging in it), but if you go with Liquid Nails then make sure its the kind that can be used on wood. Good luck man.

I'm assuming liquid nails are between $4 - $6? If so, I'm definitely trying those next.

Also, what does everyone use to make perfect cuts to exact dimensions?

glue pieces together with TiteBond, Seal the seams first with Liquid Nails. Once that dries, go back over it with Silicone.

Screw screws in every 3-4inches for close holding, predrill all holes prior.

i always map my cuts out on paper then have our local wood place cut them for me its like 50cents a cut

So, my questions are.

And for those wondering; the box was built for an RE Audio SX 10", so far we've tested it with a Soundstream SPL 10" and it sounds great, the RE should be here in a few days.

Always use wood glue for holding the box together. I personally use screws instead of clamps for holding things in place while the glue dries.

As for sealing the box on the inside, if the cuts are perfect you only need a very small layer of woodglue on the joints. No need for silicone. If the panels are cut a bit more rough, mix up some saw-dust with wood glue to replace the silicone.

I think Im going back to beats the nail or liquid nails on my next box. I have built probably 14 boxes using the stuff with no problems, used glue on the last box. works perfectly fine, but with the liquid nails stuff, say you cut one peice just a little too small or let the material get away from the fence for a second and gouge the edge. liquid nails not only glues the box together but it fills that void and seals the box at the same time. glue couldnt fill that gap because it will just run out before it dries. gorilla glue might fill the gap better than tite bond, but ive never used the stuff before.

also, on a ported box, I use to have the port walls held back to sit behind the front of the box, and then I would have to cut a rectangular opening in the front to try and match perfect to the port. not terriibly difficult, but if you cut the top and bottom peices to the overall size of the box, and then run the one side and the inner port wall all the way to the outside edge of the bottom, and then but the front into the port wall, then the top finishes off the port and theres no trying to match openings.

and if you need 2 identical peices you could use a router and a flush trim bit. I rip everything at one time for each different size needed, say all peices that will be something by 13.5, I rip all of them to 13.5 so I know they are all exaclty the same.

I use a skil saw to rough cut, table saw to rip to the final dimension(if the table saw had a bigger table I could skip the skil saw step), chop saw for length, and then 2 drills, one to predrill/countersink and the other to drive the screws.

Edited by ppiflat10s

How do you all cut the mounting hole for the sub? Router? If you don't have a router is there another way to do it?

How do you all cut the mounting hole for the sub? Router? If you don't have a router is there another way to do it?

i used jig saw and lots of sanding. if you get a straight blade and dont over push the jigsaw then youll get a straight cut. but im not a patient guy...

Router With A Circle Jig Works Best For Mounting Holes, Especially Since I'm Way Too Damn Impatient And Shaky To Use A Jigsaw For Such A Cut.