tejcurrent

Tahoe Rebuild 10kw

I am currently working on a research paper that was supposed to take me all week, I've been doing it for about 1.5 hours now, and I think I need to have it done by 12. If I get it done in time I'll have more pics tonight. I really hate procrastination lol...

I hooked everything up today that I could, which meant 1 run of 1/0 + and ground, and 1 250a fuse. With the MLA module on high I let it drop to 15v at idle, but coasting down the road it stayed at least 15.3. I was surprised it hit the lows as well as it did. From the sound of it the tuning has dropped quite a bit from 36hz due to how close it is to the tailgate. Sounds pretty accurate on things like Devildriver, and definitely drops on the lowes. A bit too much in the higher frequencies for my liking, but I believe some tuning will help.

So with playing it for 1/2 an hour straight on chopped/screwed music with no fuse popping it can't be pulling that much power. I didn't have any equipment to test, just a dmm, so I have to guess from past experience that they are getting 1000-1500 watts each.

There were some small hair tricks, flutter a piece of paper with the window 1/2 down, slight hair movement. Neighbors came out when I tried to make a video so that will have to wait till I install the rest of the wire and hook up more than 2 batteries. Ear-o-meter says it's in the 149 range right now, but what do I know.

Running 2 more runs of power, 1 more ground. Removed a run of CCA to make room in the firewall. I think 8 runs is enough, and honestly I don't know if I have enough power to do another run and have extra for batteries and alternators. If I have left overs I'll probably go back in.

2btl_install_002.jpg

Drivers front side- I tried to group it all together so it feels smooth under your feet.

2btl_install_005.jpg

Needs cleaned good, but it looks and feels factory.

2btl_install_006.jpg

Someone had dirty feet! Sort of makes me angry it looks so bad, but I'll be redoing the interior if I keep the vehicle, and it needs a good cleaning anyway.

Now you see it

2btl_install_003.jpg

Now you don't.

2btl_install_004.jpg

Damn dirty feet. It's a work vehicle anyway I guess.

And it's all in place. I need terminals and buss bars just to fit all the wire on the batteries.

The run I removed. Getting ready to ship it to another forum member, I threw the bottle in there for visual reference. It's about 11 ft I think.

2btl_install_008.jpg

Voltage will playing music for 5 minutes:

2btl_install_001.jpg

Sorry no vids, and that's all the pics I could get today.

do you have any issues with your alt charging everything at 15.5?

Never had a problem yet. I normally run the low setting which is around 14.9 hot, I use it at this sort of voltage for maybe 1/2 hour at a time at most.

So the dash broke worse I really need to fix that- it rattles really bad.

Oct_09_2BTL_068.jpg

The terminals came in, glad I ordered 40. They aren't great, but they're worth $1 each imo.

Oct_09_2BTL_069.jpg

Tightened up the speaker wires, cleaned things up some. God it's the biggest pain in the azz to do this.

Oct_09_2BTL_078.jpg

Quick picture of the subs

Oct_09_2BTL_077.jpg

The port is small in relation to what it could be, but it's big enough to fit my Dr. Pepper good lol.

Oct_09_2BTL_082.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_070.jpg

Not many pictures because of A LOT of cutting, crimping, soldering. Anyone running more than this gets my respect, I bet I spent 3 or more hours from start to finish.

I finally got all 4 fuses in.

Oct_09_2BTL_071.jpg

This next pic made me really unhappy, I could barely fit 1/2 the wire on those 2 terminals, it's just temporary till I get the copper buss bars in, but I was still limited to 1 run of power from the front just hooking up the amp.

Oct_09_2BTL_072.jpg

So I made something temporary. It is pretty thin, but it's the equivalent of 1/4" x 1" bus bar, so it's plenty enough for my needs till the copper comes in.

Oct_09_2BTL_073.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_074.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_075.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_076.jpg

Gained a few more terminals.

Oct_09_2BTL_079.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_080.jpg

I've been using some mapp gas for the terminals, solders much quicker

Oct_09_2BTL_081.jpg

Hooked up the pre-existing wires.

Oct_09_2BTL_083.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_084.jpg

All 8 runs through the firewall. I put gas line as a grommet, fasted with glue/silicon.

Oct_09_2BTL_085.jpg

All the wires hooked up. I'll still do a lot of cleaning up once the final copper bus bars come in, just wanted to get it running and see what it will do.

Oct_09_2BTL_086.jpg

No vids because the camera died, but with drops to 14.4v, about 4500rms I was getting some nice air movement. I still can't turn it up all the way till I get more than the 3 batts/2 alts I have, but that should change in a few weeks.

Next pics: making a template for the quads

Ridiculous wire :woot: , keep it coming.

Thanks, charging the camera up for tomorrow. It's a nice (12meg) camera, but takes terrible vids that show next to no movement, regardless of how much things are flexing.

I couldn't do any listening or testing tonight because the 1 amp fuse for my line driver burned up. Bought a 20a replacement, so I'll be good to go tomorrow.

gotta see this video

I took short vids because people get angry when I play too long- have to keep moving.

I'll take some more when I can go to the boonies.

First one uploaded, waiting on the second:

I took short vids because people get angry when I play too long- have to keep moving.

I'll take some more when I can go to the boonies.

First one uploaded, waiting on the second:

Try Piece and Chain Swanging from Durrough also, it beats harder than Trunk Bang.

Sure thing.

Good song selections, seems like its going to get better from hear on out (how do you feel about the system - does it do what you want, etc).

Innovative.

I like the temporary buss bar it definitely makes things look much nicer.

Keep up the professional work. :)

Dear god, I just bought 4 idler pulleys and a belt to start designing the quad setup and was amazed at the cost. Napa has nice stuff but sweet Jesus. Anyway, things are at a stand still till I design the bracket and get more cash.

I'll be designing the setup this weekend if weather permits, then shipping to be machined. I know some companies offer a bracket, but I want my shot too :)

That battery looks pretty crazy. It looks really good and I bet its nice and loud. Keep it up dude.

I am kind of leery about the thickness and surface area of those aluminum buss bars. Better get the copper in soon.