Sign in to follow this  
loveeemachine

Sub position

Not sure if this belongs somewhere else. .

Okay, because i have a hugeee box for my sub that barely fits in my trunk of my crown vic. ya lol

The sub faces upward toward the trunk. Whenever i turn up the volume my trunk piece flexes and moves like crazy.

Although it doesn't sound as bad as those 200 watt shitty bass system that is just rattle.

The previous owner of my car put some type of insulator in all of the cracks that would normally rattle in my car, not sure what he used.

But the only thing that moves like crazy is the dam trunk hood thing itself.

If i face the sub toward the license plate there would be about a minimum of 10" inches possibly more , between in and the end of the trunk.

And closer to 2-4" inches if i face it toward the back seats. (my box has a lip on the end so the subs wouldn't be right next to the wall of the trunk)

Does it matter which way i position my subs, or if they're close to a wall?

I'd like to clerify before go aiming it at a corner, with my luck i'd break something of course . lol

Any info. would help lol, could just be one of those things where i have to listen an go by ear?

Well I personally have always recommended putting feet on the sub and firing it down. I think it just has a cool sound to it :)

Ya my box has 'feet' on it,

Because home depot can't cut a dam board right lol

There on the same side as the sub so it could face downward easily, hmm good idea lol.

Also the port is on the same side as the sub. (front)

So basically what you are asking is how to position drivers to not rattle the car? I must be missing something.

So basically what you are asking is how to position drivers to not rattle the car? I must be missing something.

Lol, no. I think you pretty much got it all. I thought it was weird too. I didn't put any consideration into the rattling. I was just stating an opinion on down firing subs

Edited by Christian McKay

Will it make a difference if i have the subs pointed toward a wall thats close in front of them?

Or if theres alot of space between it and the next object?

What are you trying to stop, again? the trunk from flexing?

i was also wondering if i'm losing some 'hit' towards the inside of the car because its faced upward?

If it doesn't matter which way it faces, and all different directions will give the same impact of bass for the passengers then i'll just leave it the way it is.

But if it makes a difference then i'll rearrange my box.

Edited by loveeemachine

Well, I'm not sure about your car, but I got the best results from having them firing down. Just gotta make sure the sub doesn't slap against the carpet (or whatever you have under it)

Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out. I'm curious if this is universal.

Ya theres plently of room to face it down, in terms of excursion.

So facing it downward in the trunk won't affect it at all mechincally.

Because its facing directly toward a wall with not much air space between. . . .

I remember when I only had my two 10's, i tried having them firing in all kinds of other directions for a little while, but there wasn't any real bass. There was a little bit, but there was a lot more when I finally just left them firing down.