Sign in to follow this  
the mange

Will the SAE-1200D v.2 be ok with 1/0 wire (+big 3) with stock alt?

I currently have a 12" fi ssd (800 rms) with an alpine pdx 1.600 (600-700 rms), and I'm thinking of upgrading to 2 fi ssd 12"s with the new saz-1200d. I'm willing to upgrade from 4 to 1/0 wire, and I already have a yellow top, but will the stock alt in an 03 passat be able to keep up without terrible voltage drop?

well 1/0 wire upgrade is in my books a must have!! and how many amps does the 03 passat output (stock)?

Did you do the BIG3?

Did you do the BIG3?

x2, First do big three upgrade (battery ground to cars frame, engine block/alternator ground to cars frame, battery positive to alternators positive with 1/0 gauge wire). Then buy a volt meter to watch voltage, you should be eyeing batteries and if you have bad voltage drops then you know its time for a bigger starter battery if it can fit or just add a secondary battery in the rear are by the equipment.

I'm running stock alt (like 110-115amp) and stock battery in the front with big 3 in 0/1 guage and equipment in my sig with zero dimming issues. Between the secondary battery (Deka Intimidator 9A31) and big 3 it cost me like $250 or so. BIG 3 in 0/1 guage is definitely the first thing I would do.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I will definitely be doing the big 3 in 1/0 if that's the size I'll need. I think the stock alt on my passat is like 90 amps, possibly 120 but I doubt it. I just want to avoid an unsafe voltage drop when the subs are going.

Put another battery in the car? Maybe like a Kinetik HC800 ?