Sign in to follow this  
rickandleli

Rate the 18"s

With all things being equal (6.5 cu ft tuned to 30 hz), with each sub running at its RMS rating, how would you guys rate these subs in these categories:

SQ:

Loudness:

Durability:

Overall quality:

Subs are:

Fi BTL, Ascendant audio Mayhem, SSA XCON, Sundown Nightshade, Audioque HDC3, or DC Audio Level 4

The Xcon does not really fit in that list, it is the apple in the bag of oranges. But the quality of the Mayhem, BTL and Xcon are all quite close. ;)

BTL or Mayhem.

In my vehicle, BTL was slightly louder on the meter (less than 1 dB), but peaked at a higher fequency vs. the Mayhem. This made the Mayhem sound louder playing music.

I love the Xcon, very accurate sub that can be loud as...!in 18", wow!!!

But the others are spl sub, from what I know. I've never heared them, though.

You should tell what you're lookihg for : spl, competitions, sq,...? Ranking subs may not have sense.

Edited by Notorious from FWI

People look for different things in their subs, so just trying to get opinions on what would be better for SQ (XCONS PROBABLY ), what would be the best in between, mainly daily driver, but weekend competitions, and what is almost purely SPL SUBS. Thought about the level 5s, but they stick out as almost purely SPL from what i have heard about them (burp rated at 20,000 watts). Only reason i didnt list the DD 9500 is my selfishness on not being able to find any pricing or any dealers around me. Although i did hear a single 12" DD in the hatch of of an Acura integra at a local show hit a 147 on the dash! Just looking to expand some horizons.

I think you're going to be quite hard pressed to find somebody who has listened to each of those subs. And really, unless somebody has, you're not going to get a correct answer. I mean BKOLFO4's comment was helpful since at least he's comparing two of the drivers, but that may be about all you can get.

I've heard them all....Xcon and Mayhem will most likely be most musical. Nightshade and BTL will be loudest on a meter as they are the most sensitive per watt. DC audio Lvl 5 is more comparable, and the AQ IMO isn't quite as good as anything else there listed, Note it is less expensive and therefore is still a great woofer for the money. Hope that helps! oh, except I'm comparing all at same amount of power which is really how you should, nightshade is 1500 rms, but can handle 3kw, not fair to compare it at 1500 watts to a BTL or Mayhem or Xcon at 2000 or 2500. as another 1kw the others will surely be louder.