deanmpereira

FI Q 10's or 12's?

So to start things off I have a 2000 silverado ext. cab. I am very interested in the FI Q series subs but have a quick question for those of you that are more knowledgeable than I. I would like to keep my back seat and put two subs underneath the seat, now my question is. which would be a better setup for a daily driver? I have approximately .8 cuft available for each sub. would two 12's sealed or two 10's ported be a better option? I understand that .8 cubs fits in both categories but have also heard that the 12's really need somewhere around 1.2-1.3 cuft. I listen to huge varieties of music at all different levels. and am not so much interested in hitting 145 db at one tone than having good sound and some hard hitting throughout the spectrum.

My second question would be, Since i would be running somewhere around 1000 rms to each sub would the BP option be helpfull? or is that strictly for you crazy guys doing things way out of my knowledge? thanks for the help

-Dean

It matters more on weather you want sound quality or to have it loud. You really havent specified yet. That will help to answer your question better.

Im not into numbers either but I didnt find what I wanted till I got a BTL.

Edited by bigrank916

I am looking for Sound Quality, I would also like to be as loud as possible while sounding good, but i do understand that you cant really have both

So to start things off I have a 2000 silverado ext. cab. I am very interested in the FI Q series subs but have a quick question for those of you that are more knowledgeable than I. I would like to keep my back seat and put two subs underneath the seat, now my question is. which would be a better setup for a daily driver? I have approximately .8 cuft available for each sub. would two 12's sealed or two 10's ported be a better option? I understand that .8 cubs fits in both categories but have also heard that the 12's really need somewhere around 1.2-1.3 cuft. I listen to huge varieties of music at all different levels. and am not so much interested in hitting 145 db at one tone than having good sound and some hard hitting throughout the spectrum.

My second question would be, Since i would be running somewhere around 1000 rms to each sub would the BP option be helpfull? or is that strictly for you crazy guys doing things way out of my knowledge? thanks for the help

-Dean

If by better you mean SQ, which you said you did, then go with sealed. If this is your first Fi driver then you will be impressed anyway.

The BP option is for free so no it cant hurt to add it.

Edited by bigrank916

I am looking for Sound Quality, I would also like to be as loud as possible while sounding good, but i do understand that you cant really have both

Subs are gonna be loud regardless, pick what you want sound quality or loud. If you want sound quality then go 12's sealed and if you want loud then go 10's ported.

sounds like its going to be two 12's then thanks for the help guys, and yes it will be my first FI speakers. I was debating between the FI Q and the ICON the deciding factor being the amount of space availbable in my truck.

will .8 cuft "after displacement" be suffiecent? I have heard a few people say "as well as in the recommended enclosure thread" that 1.2-1.3 is really optimal. and theres a pretty big difference between .8 and 1.2 cuft

and also would 1000rms to each sub make since? that is what there rated, but i was just curious if less would be equal or more would be better?

feels like two really stupid questions... but thanks for the help...

sounds like its going to be two 12's then thanks for the help guys, and yes it will be my first FI speakers. I was debating between the FI Q and the ICON the deciding factor being the amount of space availbable in my truck.

will .8 cuft "after displacement" be suffiecent? I have heard a few people say "as well as in the recommended enclosure thread" that 1.2-1.3 is really optimal. and theres a pretty big difference between .8 and 1.2 cuft

and also would 1000rms to each sub make since? that is what there rated, but i was just curious if less would be equal or more would be better?

feels like two really stupid questions... but thanks for the help...

Give each sub what their rated for or less (since you have Q's then you dont have to give them rated power but since the BP Power is free you should get it and dont have to worry about sending each sub 1000rms all day).

If .8 is what FI recommended then after displacement it will do fine (I doubt they would tell you what box to put it in and it not work, its just yeah most people achieve for the biggest recommended enclosure size when making enclosures).

With an SQ driver there is no need to go over rated wattage. It will be just fine with that 1k.

With the enclosure its just guess and check. Start building boxes and see what sounds best to you.

No problem and good luck with install, dont forget to post pictures of your build log when you get started.

No problem and good luck with install, dont forget to post pictures of your build log when you get started.

X2. We love the pics.

Q's will work better in a sealed enclosure without the BP power option. they will still easily take 1kw a piece without the option, especially in sealed.

So i was reopening this thread to try to learn a little more about my "goals" and to see if you guys can help me out a little bit.

as the thread previously discussed I am looking into getting a new sub setup after i finish my current project of Sound dampening, Front speakers, and head unit. realistically probably a month from now. I started this thread with the idea that i like "Sound Quality" While after learning more and more I have found that this (might) not be true. now Id like to see if you guys can help me out a little.

My current setup is two Pioneer Premier 10's sealed in about .7 box "each chamber" Im not positive on the model number but they are the ones that are 350w rms. I am running 300w rms to them from a premier amp. after having this setup for about two years now I am ready to move on.

I listen to all types of music from country, rock, alternative, rap, and r&b, even a lil techno at times, I have no desire in hitting 150 db or anything like that, I just want a sub that is great at playing music. Whatever i do decide to go with it must be in less than 2.0 cuft. because the box will be going under my back seat, and even 2.0 is pushing it, i would probably be losing some foot space at that. and since it will be going under my back seat the box design will be very "non square" the box will have to rise up in the middle with the two bigger chambers on each side "so im thinking it might be better to go with two subs, one on each side rather than getting one sub that needs 2cuft of space. "because from my previous understanding you want the box to be somewhat uniform in size." correct me if im wrong. not to mention mounting depth on a larger driver might become an issue.

my buddy has a FI BL 15 in his saturn running off a alpine 1000 watt amp in a 4cuft box at 32htz "ruffly" And I think it sounds amazing when listening to rap. it hits lows great, and you can really feal it. but when listening to rock i feel like its missing something, it sound good, but not quite as "tight" as i like. I almost prefer my premiers although they have extremely less output, they seem to sound better.

my question is... is there somewhere inbetween?? iv heard other people say that you cant have both SQ and SPL.. but is this true?? I dont Desire a SQ system that can break SPL records. I really dont want either. I just want to turn my stereo on, Turn to some rock and have a great listening environment, then turn my stereo on the next day, turn some rap on and feel some bass. this seems very Simplistic but yet impossible at the same time.... any thoughts??

The ideas I currently have are

2 FIQ 10's ported

2 FIQ 12's sealed

1 FI BL 12 ported

2 FI BL 10's Ported

2 Mach 5 IXL 10's ported "because they require very little space" but i haven't heard much about these? should this even be a option i should consider?

Im lookin to be using somewhere between 1000-2000 watts.. im tryin to keep the electrical system as low cost as possible.. trying to keep it at my Optima yellow top, big three, and im assuming a after market alternator will be necessary either way.. and obviously running two subs would be a more expensive route and generally more power would be needed. but tens would be easier to fit and since my box will be awkwardly shaped would it be better to go with two subs? it would make each chamber more "uniform"

It feels like this is a somewhat long and rambling post, but any help in a direction would be greatly appreciated. I am obviously not near as experienced as all of you, and from my understanding I have different goals.. I hear you guys talk about being crazy loud at tones that arn't found in music?? or things that you wont experience in a song? like that whole blurping thing or whatever :popcorn2: haha id like to walk by a car 30 yards away and experience something that would completely damage my hearing for the rest of my life but i dont want it in my car, haha Im just some 20 year old kid that want my buddy's to jump in my truck and say hey, that sounds pretty good.

any ideas on what i should do? or what my desires are?

2 Mach 5 IXL 10's ported "because they require very little space" but i haven't heard much about these? should this even be a option i should consider?

They wouldn't be on here if they weren't great subs :woot:

Unless you get extreme with your seat lift you only have room for 2 10's sealed or 1 12 ported.

If you are concerned about SQ, the sub isn't the spot where you should be concerned. Having a front stage that can even keep up with a single 12 isn't trivial.

well I think two FIQ 10's ported would be doable? and possibly the mach 5's.. as for the BL's i would lose some foot space.. but at a about .8cuft per sub (before losing any foot space)i think a few 10's would fall into that??

and yea 2 tens sealed would be very doable i think, and one 12 ported should be doable as long as mounting depth and circumference isn't an issue. M5 you seem to respond to both my posts quite a bit, and you have the same truck as me, what would you suggest doing? I know you have stated a few times that SQ is dependent on front stage mainly, but as we concluded in the other thread, with my lack of knowledge on fiber glassing, and doing custom work. the silverado is a pretty poor music environment to say the least. so what should i do? I realize im not going to get extremely good results, im just looking for the best in my situation. and with what i have to work with.

My desires are a system that sounds good listening to many types of music. "is this a definition of SQ?"