slim142

New Setup, Starting from Zero. Tips Welcomed!

Hey guys

I hope going a little offtopic is not a problem. I would like to have a quick discussion about my current system.

I currently have

Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer stock receiver

Sony XM-D9001GTR (900watts @ 2ohms)

Pioneer TS-W3002D4 (1000watts @ 2ohms)

Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge kit

Subwoofer in (what seems to be, from outside measuerements) 1.75 cubic feet box.

Now, I know the first mistake here is that the sub recommends 1.25 and the box it is in is too big. Am I losing a lot of bass there?

Also, the amp is connected through High-Level input with only the right channel signal. How bad is this and how much performance am losing from the amp/sub?

Does High-level input give a lot of distortion? Sometimes I feel my system is not really 1000watts but barely 500...

I know this system is not the best and thats why I spent almost 6 months reading and reviewing not to make mistakes which could have been easily avoided.

I have never used the high-level input in my life but why not use low with rca's and ditch that stock deck? I would.

Having a bigger box will give you a more boomy type response while a smaller one will have a tight bass response.

If that's outside measurements then you're probably only at like 1.4 cubes internally, and minus sub displacement will get you down to 1.3. So it's about right.

You won't lose bass from either a box too large or from using high level inputs as long as the gain is set correctly.

If that's outside measurements then you're probably only at like 1.4 cubes internally, and minus sub displacement will get you down to 1.3. So it's about right.

You won't lose bass from either a box too large or from using high level inputs as long as the gain is set correctly.

x2, the reason why you say your system is around 500-600 rms is because that amp probably is rated at 900 watts but doesnt do 900 watts. New headunit and amp and subs will benefit you but you already know that.

what I think of present system...well I think after getting help on here with the new system, you will be that much more grateful and happy with the new build!!

I cant get rid of the stock receiver because like mentioned before I never installed one and I dont want to buy the Alpine, pay to install it. Then couple months later pay again to take it off. Besides the fact that Im going to be using a different car by the time I get the new Fi system.

The car currently has good bass. Bass comes out where its suppose to. For a long time I thought the box was too big for the sub. Pioneer advertises "small box for their subs" every single page you click on when checking the sub specs.

My gain is currently set at 50%. I dont have a multimeter to measure the right point. The subwoofer releases just a bit of burning smell (barely) after some time but thats when playing pure bass nonstop. Since most of my trips are short, its really hard for me to get to that point.

A lot of people have been telling me that my amplifier might be crap. Something with Sony changing their manufacturing process after they started something with Rockford or something. The thing is that my amp never gets hot or into protection mode. The only thing that annoys me is not having a bass remote. And yeah, Im starting to think my amplifier might not be as efficient as it sounds. I seriously dont think my system currently throws 900watts RMS.

Yes marovi, when I get close to be done with the parts, Im going to sell this system to get whatever is left and just play with the best.

I have one last question

Is there a difference if I buy the amplifier from SSA website or db-r?

The SSA store sells new amplifiers, db-r sells both new and refurbished ones.

SSA will be new and carry a two year warranty

db-r will sell new with a two year warranty and refurbished with a one year warranty

Im not sure if you get a bass knob with the new ones but i know that the refurbished ones do not come with a bass knob

Well the better one with that price should come with a bass knob.

I have one last question that arised recently.

I watched on of S-M-D videos and he put a DMM on one BTL and you can see that when in Dual 1 ohm mode, it can be wired so that it works at 0.7 or 1.4 ohms.

This leads me to believe that if I make my BTL Dual 2 ohm, I will be able to wire it 1.4ohm or 4 ohm. Am I right???

I plan on making my BTL universal just so that I will be able to change it if I need to anytime. However, when I order it from the website, what should I put, Dual 1 or 2?

I plan on using the Sundown 2000 which is stable down to 1 ohm

Thanks

You want the dual 2. That way you wire the coils in parallel for a 1 ohm load at the amp.

Ok I see, Thanks

Btw, is paraller always better than series? (considerin we talking about the same wattage like in this case)

There won't be any noticeable differences.

I see, so basically the ohm is to give more power to the sub right?

One question just came up to my mind too.

You know how you get the Gain by the formula sqroot of (watts x ohms). Well, when they say multiply watts x ohms, which ones do they mean, the one from the amp or subwoofer?

So in my current system I have a 900watt RMS @ 2ohm amplifier with a 1000watt RMS @ 2ohm subwoofer. Which one should I use in the formula to configure my gain?

I see, so basically the ohm is to give more power to the sub right?

One question just came up to my mind too.

You know how you get the Gain by the formula sqroot of (watts x ohms). Well, when they say multiply watts x ohms, which ones do they mean, the one from the amp or subwoofer?

So in my current system I have a 900watt RMS @ 2ohm amplifier with a 1000watt RMS @ 2ohm subwoofer. Which one should I use in the formula to configure my gain?

You usually go by which one is lower and since the amp has a lower rms rating you go with the 900rms.

Ok thanks man, will try to get a DMM and set it correctly

Is it true that you never put the Bass Boost higher than your gain? or it doesnt matter?

Edited by slim142

The two relative to each other doesn't matter. I just wouldn't use the bass boost at all. It just boosts the output of a small band of frequencies, giving you a peak in the response that won't sound good and can make you enter clipping sooner.

The two relative to each other doesn't matter. I just wouldn't use the bass boost at all. It just boosts the output of a small band of frequencies, giving you a peak in the response that won't sound good and can make you enter clipping sooner.

I see thanks for clarifying that. I heard in some forums that you should never have your boost higher than the gain but I thought it was weird.

Anyways, does that mean I should set my bass boost to 0 (absolutely to the left)?

I see thanks for clarifying that. I heard in some forums that you should never have your boost higher than the gain but I thought it was weird.

Anyways, does that mean I should set my bass boost to 0 (absolutely to the left)?

Yeah leave it at the 0db position, all the way left.

I can't see where the bass boost position has anything to do with the gain position. What was their reasoning?

They didnt say why, they just said dont put bass boost past the gain, set them equal or bass boost lower than gain.

I still dont know where to put the bass boost, is it a personal preference or does it really kill music?

Since my amp doesnt have a bass remote, I have to find a "good" spot and leave it there.

Leave the bass boost alone is the consensus in this forum. It introduces unnecessary peaks into the signal which in turn clip the signal at high volumes: aka blow your shit up when you turn it up. Set the gain with a DMM or by ear if you know how and you're good to go. If you really insist on tweaking the bass boost just make sure you aren't stressing your drivers too much. And there isn't a relationship between the gain and the bass boost so don't go looking for one :)

Leave the bass boost alone is the consensus in this forum. It introduces unnecessary peaks into the signal which in turn clip the signal at high volumes: aka blow your shit up when you turn it up. Set the gain with a DMM or by ear if you know how and you're good to go. If you really insist on tweaking the bass boost just make sure you aren't stressing your drivers too much. And there isn't a relationship between the gain and the bass boost so don't go looking for one :)

Agreed, I used to not know what Bass boost meant and thought it was to make ur system better but now I learned thanks to this forum that it is a no-no.

In conclusion, when you say leave the bass boost alone you mean completely turn it left (to zero) right? Answer me this question so I can go ahead and turn my bass boost all the way off.

Yeah completely to the left, 0db is where your bass boost should stay.

SSA will be new and carry a two year warranty

db-r will sell new with a two year warranty and refurbished with a one year warranty

Im not sure if you get a bass knob with the new ones but i know that the refurbished ones do not come with a bass knob

My saz-1500d from db-r came in a sundown box and bass knob and owners manual. it came just like brand new but was a refurb.