I'm going to try to make this as simple as possible, there are only certain way woofers can be wired. You cannot wire them in anyway you choose to any ohm load you choose. There are rules to follow with Ohm's Law, which is why it's a Law and not a suggestion.

I have seen it a few times in the last 2 days, where people say they will wire them in two different way with only one being possible, and it is very annoying, and no ones seems to want to point it out.

So, I will try to make a simple list of basic woofer voice coil configurations and the only ohm loads you can wire them to. And for the noobs "Ω" is the symbol for Ohm

Single Dual 4Ω woofer: Parallel 2Ω - Series 8Ω

Single Dual 2Ω woofer: Parallel 1Ω - Series 4Ω

Single Dual 1Ω woofer: Parallel .5Ω - Series 2Ω

Two Dual 4Ω woofers: Parallel 1Ω - Parallel/Series 4Ω

Two Dual 2Ω woofers: Parallel .5Ω - Parallel/Series 2Ω

Two Dual 1Ω woofers: Parallel .25Ω - Parallel/Series 1Ω

At this point it gets to complicated to explain how they are wired so I will just post the total ohm loads.

Triple Dual 4Ω woofers: 2.67Ω

Triple Dual 2Ω woofers: 1.34Ω or 3Ω

Triple Dual 1Ω woofers: .1667Ω .6667Ω

Quad Dual 4Ω woofers: .5Ω or 2Ω or 8Ω

Quad Dual 2Ω woofers: .25Ω or 1Ω or 4Ω

Quad Dual 1Ω woofers: .5Ω or 1Ω or 2Ω

From Shizzzon:

Also, when troubleshooting, the following should be noted-

If trying to make sure you have wired your subs correctly, look below for the load range your multimeter will read in-

Before measuring resistance on your DMM, touch probes together. IF it reads 0, then you are ready to measure. If it reads something other than 0, then subtract this number from your measured reading to get the actual resistance reading.

8 ohms - 4.8-7.8 ohms

4 ohms - 2.4-3.9 ohms

2 ohms - 1.2-1.9 ohms

1 ohm - 0.6-0.9 ohms

0.5ohms- 0.35-0.45 ohms

0.25 ohms-0.17-0.22 ohms

If there are any errors feel free to tell me, but I think i got most of them right.

This needs to pinned or stickied, thanks man but I bet the noobs will still over look this (good write up).

Well it's pretty nice to get away from impedance rise. How do people not know this though?

This needs to pinned or stickied, thanks man but I bet the noobs will still over look this (good write up).

Thanks, some of the math was a little iffy at times lol. But I tried.

Well it's pretty nice to get away from impedance rise. How do people not know this though?

Trust me very easy or they just dont take the time to search how to wire a woofer like most of us do before asking quesions (most people only ask questions after searching and need more info, some people just either ask question before searching or grab the subwoofer and put speaker wire and press play/eventually damaging something).

Single Dual 1 ohm in series is 2 ohms.

Quad 1,2 and 4 ohm subs can also be wired as 1, 2 or 4 ohms as well using parallel/series wiring method.

Also, when troubleshooting, the following should be noted-

If trying to make sure you have wired your subs correctly, look below for the load range your multimeter will read in-

Before measuring resistance on your DMM, touch probes together. IF it reads 0, then you are ready to measure. If it reads something other than 0, then subtract this number from your measured reading to get the actual resistance reading.

8 ohms - 4.8-7.8 ohms

4 ohms - 2.4-3.9 ohms

2 ohms - 1.2-1.9 ohms

1 ohm - 0.6-0.9 ohms

0.5ohms- 0.35-0.45 ohms

0.25 ohms-0.17-0.22 ohms

Dude from some of your posts you have ZERO room to talk about people not knowing things.

Dude from some of your posts you have ZERO room to talk about people not knowing things.

Haha, no love over here :suicide-santa: .

what? get away from impedance rise?

:wtf:

Yeah, just referring to how it's nice to see a topic about impedance and not impedance rise.

Yeah, just referring to how it's nice to see a topic about impedance and not impedance rise.

There has been a topic on impedence rise thats why we didnt discuss it, plus we need the basics so people can stop cluttering the board with things that should already be known (people need to understand the basics before we move into advanced discussion).

I feel like I have finally helped the forum :)

I am going to unpin this and move it to the technical info section. :drink40:

I am going to unpin this and move it to the technical info section. :drink40:

Now pin it here :)

Quad Dual 4Ω woofers: 2Ω or 4Ω or 8Ω

Quad Dual 2Ω woofers: 1Ω or 2Ω or 4Ω

Please explain these. . .I guess I am missing something. . .

Brian

Brian

I wasn't sure about those, but I was told they were accurate so I included them. Are they wrong?

I think I see

no, looks right to me, you could also do Quad dual 4's to .5 ohm.

Brian

I wasn't sure about those, but I was told they were accurate so I included them. Are they wrong?

I think I see

They are wrong.

Quad 4 : 1, 4 or 16 ohms.

Quad 2 : 0.5, 2 or 8 ohms

Quad 1 : 0.25, 1 or 4 ohms.

It's actually a reference for people that are too lazy do do some math on their own.

The formulas for figuring out the final resistance are out there, these are just particular cases.

Brian

I think I see

They are wrong.

Quad 4 : 1, 4 or 16 ohms.

Quad 2 : 0.5, 2 or 8 ohms

Quad 1 : 0.25, 1 or 4 ohms.

It's actually a reference for people that are too lazy do do some math on their own.

The formulas for figuring out the final resistance are out there, these are just particular cases.

Correct fing05.gif