deanmpereira

Your input on my component system

So to start things off I have a 2000 Silverado ext. Cab. And would like to get away from the Coaxials I have now and put in two sets of Components. My plans are to put both sets of drivers in each one of the doors, two tweeters in the dash, and two tweeters in the back columns.

I Personally am a Fan of Pioneer Premiers line of products when it comes to speakers. and this is what im looking to do.

Front

6 3/4 Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS 50w rms 200max

Back

5 1/4 Pioneer Premier TS-C520PRS 30w rms 150max

For the most part I will be fading the music to the front speakers, the reason i am getting the back is for a little bit of a rear fill, and because I often have people in the back seat of my truck.

Now here comes the question. I currently have a 2 channel 60w rms amp, Can I run this to my Fronts? and run my rears off the head unit (22w rms) ? does this make sense? If not what does?

you can do that, and if you already like the pioneers then cool go with them. normally I would say no need for rear fill, as all sound should appear to sourced in front of you, but if you want "rear fill" for ppl in back then go for it. IMO it's just really unneccesary

It is really NOT a good idea to have so many tweeters. 2 is all you should use.

Rear fill in a Silvy is a joke...and yes I know I have one. When people ride in my back seat they regularly ask me what I have for front speakers followed by the rears. They always crap when I say none, but its true and it sounds WAY better.

if you have money to spend, take better component speakers ! and forget about the rear fill. The music will sound much better and the bass will be more accurate.(just my 2cts).

That way, you only need one amp for the comps. The one you have will have to be stable at 2 ohms with the pair of comps, or you can use a 4 ch amp for all.

In my experience of riding in the back seat of someones car with a nice stereo it has been way to loud. Usually the speakers are so close to you its deafening. I have a silverado as well and the rear pillars shoot that speaker right into the side of your dome being in the back.

Id ditch the rears and go with a better set up front if it was me. Ive heard the same thing about having more than 2 tweeters like ///M5 said. In that truck, with the right positioning, 2 should be plenty loud and clear.

So for those of you that are running a single pair in a silverado where are you placing the tweeters? I was thinking on the top of the dash/front columns, up against the bottom of the front windshield? the only thing is that would be pretty far from the drivers. is there a better location that im missing? the stock location doesn't seem very optimal either?

And I can see how 4 tweeters in that small of a cab would be overkill... what speakers would you guys recommend then? the only reason I like the Premier 720's is because thats one of the better products "local" audio shops have and those are the ones i like out of the ones iv heard.. Compared to speakers such as alpine type x's.

the only reason i was going to go with 2 pairs is because iv never really heard a setup up with a good front stage. I am very interested in just doing a front stage, but not exactly sure on what i need to focus on? any ideas on some good component sets? price not a huge issue.

So for those of you that are running a single pair in a silverado where are you placing the tweeters? I was thinking on the top of the dash/front columns, up against the bottom of the front windshield? the only thing is that would be pretty far from the drivers. is there a better location that im missing? the stock location doesn't seem very optimal either?

And I can see how 4 tweeters in that small of a cab would be overkill... what speakers would you guys recommend then? the only reason I like the Premier 720's is because thats one of the better products "local" audio shops have and those are the ones i like out of the ones iv heard.. Compared to speakers such as alpine type x's.

the only reason i was going to go with 2 pairs is because iv never really heard a setup up with a good front stage. I am very interested in just doing a front stage, but not exactly sure on what i need to focus on? any ideas on some good component sets? price not a huge issue.

I dont have any at the moment but I planned on putting them in on the front pillar. I seen an awesome idea on here where someone used a pvc cap on the back of the tweet and a small metal adapter for the wire to pass through. Id like to get to closer to my mids but until I finish my door speaker project, I will have to wait to find out for sure. Its just what sounds best to you.

Im waiting to try out the MLI-65's. Im super stoked to see how they sound. But if you have checked around and done your homework and you like them, get em. Its your ride. I prefer to go active so I dont really look at the sets with the crossover. Are you using any deadening in the doors?

kick-panels are a great location. on your dash further back closer to the windshield is another great location, and third would be the pillars. I have custom fiberglassed kicks and pillars, and absolutely love it! if you are lost on speakers, or want to tell us your price range I can make some recommendations for speakers, but in the end you have to listen to them and use your own opinion on what sounds best.

As you can see, everyone agrees that rear fill is quite unnecessary, and since people in back are much further from the stage it actually generally sounds better to sit in the back! only problem is sometimes it narrows the stage, but don't worry about that, it's not a competition build :)

The Silvy dash sucks for speakers, but kicks aren't really a great solution either. No matter what you are going to have an issue with stage height. Then it comes down to budget. If it isn't a problem a 3 way would be the way to go, but you are going to be spending some money on the drivers, amps, processing, and install then.

properly installed kick-panels will give great results, you just have to be conscious of angle that you build them. probably a simple install and solution I would recommend to OP is to go with a 3-way passive set of components. Mount the mid-bass in the doors, and 3" mids and tweets in the pillars.

Rainbow, Focal, and Eclipse all make a nice sets that you can pick up for ~350, and IMO any three would be much better than the pioneers.

properly installed kick-panels will give great results

Not if stage height is important

yes, even when stage height is important. you need to get some demos in some world class SQ cars, when properly done, you wouldn't even know the speakers were in the kicks because in a true SQ system the location of the speakers is audibly in-detectable. and the best location to achieve this is in the kick-panels. when kicks are not done properly is when the stage is lowered and and audible attention is brought to the location rather than the stage.

yes, even when stage height is important. you need to get some demos in some world class SQ cars, when properly done, you wouldn't even know the speakers were in the kicks because in a true SQ system the location of the speakers is audibly in-detectable. and the best location to achieve this is in the kick-panels. when kicks are not done properly is when the stage is lowered and and audible attention is brought to the location rather than the stage.

I have and most definitely it is NOT the best location. Vertical cues really eff up the stage and when they are low there isn't a way around it.

I'm not familiar with the acoustics of a Silverado....but my kicks didn't have any problems with stage height :shrug:

It's all a compromise as it's a vehicle. You get to choose what concerns you the most and address your install from there.

properly installed kick-panels will give great results, you just have to be conscious of angle that you build them. probably a simple install and solution I would recommend to OP is to go with a 3-way passive set of components. Mount the mid-bass in the doors, and 3" mids and tweets in the pillars.

Rainbow, Focal, and Eclipse all make a nice sets that you can pick up for ~350, and IMO any three would be much better than the pioneers.

so should I look into these three brands and look into a three way system? and yes I think a passive system would be a better option for me.

Passive & 3 way shouldn't ever occur IMO.

oh really? and I suppose now you are going to tell me the best sounding cars in the world are active and not passive? haha sorry, but I have some strong foundations on this stuff, maybe you would like me to grab a couple world class SQ guys to chime in?

oh, and I would also love for you to tell Scott Buwalda, the godfather of Sound Quality (before Hybrid even existed) that the car that won back to back SQ world championships with kick-panel installs has problem with stage height! LOL I would love to see you try tell him that.

Kicks work great because they are further away from you, and the distance difference from left and right drivers is very minimal, so sound waves hit you at the same time resulting in the affect of the drivers sounding as if they are far in front of you, and present a beautiful stage that is at eye level (ear-level) and also great stage width as that is also the widest spot in the vehicle.

In SUV's many times kicks are even that much better because the dash overhand doesn't interfere. however, trucks are much wider than cars and usually a couple m/s t. corr. fixes the problem where it feels as if you are sitting on the left side of the stage from the driver's seat.

oh really? and I suppose now you are going to tell me the best sounding cars in the world are active and not passive? haha sorry, but I have some strong foundations on this stuff, maybe you would like me to grab a couple world class SQ guys to chime in?

oh, and I would also love for you to tell Scott Buwalda, the godfather of Sound Quality (before Hybrid even existed) that the car that won back to back SQ world championships with kick-panel installs has problem with stage height! LOL I would love to see you try tell him that.

Kicks work great because they are further away from you, and the distance difference from left and right drivers is very minimal, so sound waves hit you at the same time resulting in the affect of the drivers sounding as if they are far in front of you, and present a beautiful stage that is at eye level (ear-level) and also great stage width as that is also the widest spot in the vehicle.

In SUV's many times kicks are even that much better because the dash overhand doesn't interfere. however, trucks are much wider than cars and usually a couple m/s t. corr. fixes the problem where it feels as if you are sitting on the left side of the stage from the driver's seat.

Well im glad that my post is getting people fired up. but back to suggestions on what you would do if you had a silverado and wanted to put new components in it? ;)

thanks for the help guys. it would just help if there was somewhere in the sacramento area i could get some more help, or at least listen to some high end components, cause like i said, I like the premiers... but i havn't listened to anything of higher quality, or something with just a front stage..

what price range are you looking at? I think you may really like a set of zapco i-force components on a strong 2-channel amp. they have a great open sound, and can also handle a large amount power for those times you feel like cranking it up! let me know your price range and I can make a few other recommendations, I think I asked for that before, but just let me know.

what price range are you looking at? I think you may really like a set of zapco i-force components on a strong 2-channel amp. they have a great open sound, and can also handle a large amount power for those times you feel like cranking it up! let me know your price range and I can make a few other recommendations, I think I asked for that before, but just let me know.

yes I apologize for not responding to that, but honestly as long as its a good investment im not to worried about price. obviously the lower the better but I wouldn't be to worried spending 600 or so? maybe even higher if its something that catches my eye.

Im only 20 and listen to alot of varieties of music, from rap to country to rock. I told one of my buddies "who is slightly more knowledgeable than I in audio" that I was contemplating just doing a front stage, and he looked at me like I was stupid. Basically my future goals "as of now" is to get the Premier Double din Navigation system. A pair of FI Q's not positive exactly but I believe 12's sealed. and new components. Iv been looking around on the sound dampening forums and am currently Dynomating the majority of the cab and will try a few other things that caught my eye when it comes to mounting the mid drivers and deadening my doors further more.

so long story short Im not necessarily looking for a strict SQ setup. (If my understanding of SQ is correct) Basically Im looking to find a set of components that sound really good but can be cranked up at times as well. "basically me and my buddy have been messing around with car audio since we started driving in high school, and he outdid me with a BL 15 and some "ok" components so now its my turn to kinda catch up." And as for the install A passive setup consisting of Drivers in the doors, and tweeters on the dash up against the front windshield, is what seems to be doable for my knowledge range. Obviously if i get a 3 way set up I can throw the midrange wherever need be.

My truck seems to be the one everyone rides in when going out. My personal goal is to have a setup that sounds great to me and the average listener in my truck.

"and if this helps, I do prefer the sound of the silk dome tweeters from the cheaper brands that I have heard.. I like the more mellow sound compared to the more bright and sharpe metal domes"

Edited by deanmpereira

here's some 6 1/2" component sets I would recommend, and once you invest in some nice speakers, you won't want to listen to anything else. I almost hate listening to music in anyone else's car cause it sounds so inferior to me. lol

Hybrid Audio Clarus

Zapco Reference

DLS Iridium or Nobelium

Morel Dotech's

Dynaudio mkII's

Rainbow Vanadium or Germanium series, SLC's are great too and are a few bones cheaper. lol they do make a 10k set, but not worth it IMO.

all above are fantastic speakers, I think you would be extremely happy with any of them, and all would do well for you. all of those companies except for Hybrid make a higher-end component set, but costs gets up around the 800 dollar range. IMO the 500 dollar Hybrids are more fairly compared to those.

I would recommend looking into some local shops and see if you can find anyone that carries anything on that list you can listen to. You would probably find somewhere to demo the Zapco or Dynaudio's before anything on the list, as most of those companies aren't carried by your average shop.

on the subs, unless trying to save space, go ahead and go ported on those Q's, they are awesome woofers and will remain quite accurate even in ported, and you will most likely appreciate the extra output.

what are you thinking on amps?

Edited by mjmarovi

Well honestly I havn't put alot of thought into the amps yet. Im still not sure on what speakers im going to go with. I figured i might as well wait tell i know exactly what im going run before looking into the amp world. But yes i realize i need to give the amps just as much thinking and money as the speakers. I just figured id kinda look into it after I came to a concrete choice on what speakers im going to run. but all of this will hopefully be done asap. I have the funds just trying to learn as much as possible before making my choice.

and as for the comment on the subs.. as you know im doing all of this to a silverado, and ill have to take some more accurate measurements but i believe 2 12's ported is going to be a little bigger than the space im going to have available. so i could easily do two 10's ported, but 2 12's might be a problem? whats your input on that?

and thanks for the companies i will definitely be taking some time looking into them, should I be looking at the three way systems more so than the two ways? it seems like your a fan of the hybrids personally?

and thanks alot mjmarovl your really helpin me out

so far im liking the clarus, and im liking what hybrid has to say about there product. but i also like the Zapco- competition set for 650, and the morels...

Edited by deanmpereira

Well honestly I havn't put alot of thought into the amps yet. Im still not sure on what speakers im going to go with. I figured i might as well wait tell i know exactly what im going run before looking into the amp world. But yes i realize i need to give the amps just as much thinking and money as the speakers. I just figured id kinda look into it after I came to a concrete choice on what speakers im going to run. but all of this will hopefully be done asap. I have the funds just trying to learn as much as possible before making my choice.

and as for the comment on the subs.. as you know im doing all of this to a silverado, and ill have to take some more accurate measurements but i believe 2 12's ported is going to be a little bigger than the space im going to have available. so i could easily do two 10's ported, but 2 12's might be a problem? whats your input on that?

and thanks for the companies i will definitely be taking some time looking into them, should I be looking at the three way systems more so than the two ways? it seems like your a fan of the hybrids personally?

and thanks alot mjmarovl your really helpin me out

so far im liking the clarus, and im liking what hybrid has to say about there product. but i also like the Zapco- competition set for 650, and the morels...

The only input I can put in on this thread is, if you dont have the room for 2-12" ported in the right enclosure then dont do it (too small of a box will choke your subs). Whenever you do look into subs, there are some companies like Sundown who make subs to do well in smaller than normal size boxes, for instance there SA-12"s can be tossed in 3.5ft^3 enclosure after displacements (port, bracing and subs). To get the most out of your subs put them in the right amount of space and you will slam, just my .02