deanmpereira

Your input on my component system

I personally would never run more than a single r/l midbass/midrange/tweeter . Two sets has all sorts of bad written all over it.

I love my two sets, kicks and pillars it's quite nice :)

hey Dean, where are you located?

I personally would never run more than a single r/l midbass/midrange/tweeter . Two sets has all sorts of bad written all over it.

I love my two sets, kicks and pillars it's quite nice :)

hey Dean, where are you located?

Has to be great without midbass drivers. lol

I have mid-bass....I use my L4's and play them down to 31.5 hz for SQ demos. I also have a pair of hertz hi-energy 6 1/2's in the doors. I just want to try something different, which is why I don't have 3 sets in the doors mid-bass are still undecided. I think I want to try the Tang Band W6's.

I have mid-bass....I use my L4's and play them down to 31.5 hz for SQ demos. I also have a pair of hertz hi-energy 6 1/2's in the doors. I just want to try something different, which is why I don't have 3 sets in the doors mid-bass are still undecided. I think I want to try the Tang Band W6's.

Obviously shutting one of them off then if it is truly for SQ demo's.

And set to and play to are two completely different things.

yes, you are right, which is why i said play. output of course drops off pretty hard at about 50hz, but they still play every note. :) actually I might make a video of them during SQ, it's pretty amazing how much they can move and perform spot on. gettin ready to do a L8, Pro L1 SE setup in a friends ride, he has used JL, CDT Gold, Hertz Mille, and a few others in the past, and everytime he is dissatisfied and wishes he could sound like me, so now he's finally gettin his own Hybrid drivers. haha fing05.gif

Edited by mjmarovi

And set to and play to are two completely different things.

yes, you are right, which is why i said play. output of course drops off pretty hard at about 50hz, but they still play every note.

Roll off, play, and SQ don't compute in your posts. :(

doesn't compute? do you not understand? or am I just not explaining? I don't get what you are trying to tell me in that last post? Yes, when I have my SQ tune set, I let my L4's naturally roll-off both on the high-end and the lower-end. They PLAY down to 60 hz with sufficient audible output, and begin dropping off hard at ~50hz, but still pick up everything down to ~35hz. For those lower frequencies, the 6 1/2's in my doors do enough. So right now my SQ setup is quite solid, and I am in process of picking up the substage and building up the mid-bass for my louder daily driving. After I'm done my vehicle will be SQ lanes worthy, and also have ability to play music over 150 db's. which of course is not SQ, but I will more than 1 tune set on my processor for however I feel like listening to my music at that time. But this thread isn't about me, my system, or what it does, so lets finish helping the OP and find him some speakers.

OP: sorry for minor thread-jack, and Sac-town is a ways from me, otherwise I could give you a demo.

haha yea it looks like a long ways from you...

I dono sacramento is a big city and im not to far from San Francisco, there has to be places around here i can demo some of this stuff... but not that im aware of.

Plan a day searching Car Audio shops and go listen. Hopefully you are able to find some that have demo cars set up as well.

Plan a day searching Car Audio shops and go listen. Hopefully you are able to find some that have demo cars set up as well.

Thats a good idea, usually when riding around I keep my eyes wandering so I can find shops and remember where they are at so I can stop by when Im in that area again. I love just visiting shops to ask them questions to see what they sell, know or if they can help me out.

doesn't compute? do you not understand? or am I just not explaining? I don't get what you are trying to tell me in that last post? Yes, when I have my SQ tune set, I let my L4's naturally roll-off both on the high-end and the lower-end. They PLAY down to 60 hz with sufficient audible output, and begin dropping off hard at ~50hz, but still pick up everything down to ~35hz. For those lower frequencies, the 6 1/2's in my doors do enough. So right now my SQ setup is quite solid, and I am in process of picking up the substage and building up the mid-bass for my louder daily driving. After I'm done my vehicle will be SQ lanes worthy, and also have ability to play music over 150 db's. which of course is not SQ, but I will more than 1 tune set on my processor for however I feel like listening to my music at that time. But this thread isn't about me, my system, or what it does, so lets finish helping the OP and find him some speakers.

OP: sorry for minor thread-jack, and Sac-town is a ways from me, otherwise I could give you a demo.

Only describing what drivers you own and saying lane worthy is a joke. The install is really what is important.

Someday maybe you'll understand.

Only describing what drivers you own and saying lane worthy is a joke. The install is really what is important.

of course it is all install, when have/did I ever say anything different? my car will be SQ worthy because of my install, not because of the equipment, the equipment is just a bonus to make it that much better. :)

Definitely a good idea, I recommend calling around some shops, and asking them what they can demo for you. If it was me, I would look up where the nearest authorized dealers are through the manufacturers I am trying to demo, and then call them up and make sure they will have something for me to listen to.

of course it is all install, when have/did I ever say anything different? my car will be SQ worthy because of my install, not because of the equipment, the equipment is just a bonus to make it that much better. :)

I look forward to seeing your install redone, maybe then I'll agree. At the moment though you have spent a bunch of money chasing results that aren't going to happen as implemented.

I look forward to seeing your install redone, maybe then I'll agree. At the moment though you have spent a bunch of money chasing results that aren't going to happen as implemented.

you are speaking as if you have seen and heard any of the various installs I have done in my vehicle. I have been very pleased with the past two setups I had, and everytime I make a change it just gets bigger and better. what results do you think I am chasing that I have not accomplished? My only new goal is to hit a 154 on music out of the trunk. I have already accomplished great SQ in the past....

everyone who sat in the car. of course you seem to feel you are more knowledgeable in SQ than all the guys winning the SQ trophies, so I guess you are going to tell me it isn't SQ until you say it is. get off your high horse as an admin here, really it doesn't scare me, and I am tired of you belittling my credit when the only credibility I have of you knowing anything is the fact that you are on the SSA tech team. fing05.gif

since you know so much about SQ, why don't you compete?

everyone who sat in the car. of course you seem to feel you are more knowledgeable in SQ than all the guys winning the SQ trophies, so I guess you are going to tell me it isn't SQ until you say it is. get off your high horse as an admin here, really it doesn't scare me, and I am tired of you belittling my credit when the only credibility I have of you knowing anything is the fact that you are on the SSA tech team. fing05.gif

since you know so much about SQ, why don't you compete?

Not trying to "scare" you. Could care less, actually just wish you'd shut up most of the time. I definitely want to make sure you don't confuse the OP with your ideas.

Again never said I was all knowing, I learn everyday. What I do know is that you have absolutely no experience in actually understanding what is happening, but are good at e-gurgitating crap you've read on forums. Perhaps you should actually try in learn instead of preaching what you think you know. ;)

Credibility comes with how and what you state. My title is meaningless, but what is obvious to everyone who does know something is that you are regularly confused. Real obvious to anyone who has ever played around with things to try to actually understand what is going on when you make changes.

Unlike yourself I don't need to cite that "I know people winning trophies" and this is what they'd do. Instead I actually use my brain. You should try this once, much more effective.

As for why I don't compete right now? A couple main reasons, the first being there are no local feeder competitions. Second, I won't cut up the M5 to do it right and my truck is a beater and was a quick one day install. Most importantly my whole involvement in car audio has just been to relax away from my normal stressful job. I stopped doing installs for money in 1995, now its just for aural pleasure.

.I use my L4's and play them down to 31.5 hz for SQ demos. .

No you don't. . . Unless you have them in a horn, they simply will not play that low.

currently I am using hybrid legatia series 4" mids, their high-pass x-over point depends on how much power you are trying to push to them, but they can handle quite a bit even down to 100-120 hz. I have them naturally rolling off on the high end.

My Legatia 4's for example at even higher power levels can play from 125hz, and have no need to even cross them over on the high-end. their flat response covers from ~120 hz up to 17khz. and when doing more easy listening, I even cross them as low as 80 hz.

I let my L4's naturally roll-off both on the high-end and the lower-end. They PLAY down to 60 hz with sufficient audible output, and begin dropping off hard at ~50hz, but still pick up everything down to ~35hz.

So which one is it? Where exactly do you or do you not filter the drivers? Apparently, even you don't know.

To the original poster. . . Most of what these guys are talking about is for advanced users and extreme hobbyists. Much of it is proven in the world of Sound Quality competition, but that competition means jack shit. It is essentially a popularity contest with biased judges. That's how it's been since it's inception. Think about it. You set up your equipment in a way you find pleasing to your ears. You take it to a competition and a "judge" tells you it sounds like shit. Now do you still think your car sounds good?

All that matters is that you like it.

I say buy what you can afford (the 720PRS set is a GREAT choice by the way) and do whatever your abilities allow to get it to sound as good as you can with what you have. That's the beauty of this hobby. It's about self-gratification, not what others think.

Thank you for the input, I think im going to try to look around at some 'higher end" components in my area if i can come across some. but as of now i think im going to go with the 720 prs being I have heard them and really liked them, they are "only" 250 and i already have a rockford amp that is putting out 60w rms at 4 ohms. anyone have experience with these? I do like to listen to music "loud" at times and being these are 50w rms speakers and i will be running 60, do they have the ability to be cranked up?? I realize everyones idea of loud is different but i think i have a pretty average view of loud. when i heard them they were "loud" and didnt distort but when i asked what they were running to them they said 100 watts. Is it normal to run twice the RMS to speakers? they sounded good to me, but it doesn't make since "to me the unknowledagable installer" to run double the suggested watts.

Thanks for the input guys, i did the big three over the weekend, now im starting on some dampening which will keep me busy for awhile. and a question about that?

I plan on doing layers of Dynomatt, CCF, and MLV on all door panels and behind my back seat on the back "wall" under the window. would it be worth my time to do the floor as well? that would require quite a bit more labor. would the benefits be worth the labor?

as I already stated my crossover points on my mids change depending on what I am listening to. My tune for SQ which is mostly from the easy listening genre is much different than my daily driving which involves hip/hop, hard rock, metal, techno...

I have already said the same thing to the OP....

never hurts to dampen every piece of metal in the car. depends on the vehicle on which spots are more important than others, but IMO it's best to just cover everything to start and not have to worry about it in the future, which is floor, roof, doors, everything.

you can run quite a bit of power on speakers as long as it is clean. just have to realize the limits and use the volume knob wisely. they should handle that power no problem

Thank you for the input, I think im going to try to look around at some 'higher end" components in my area if i can come across some. but as of now i think im going to go with the 720 prs being I have heard them and really liked them, they are "only" 250 and i already have a rockford amp that is putting out 60w rms at 4 ohms. anyone have experience with these? I do like to listen to music "loud" at times and being these are 50w rms speakers and i will be running 60, do they have the ability to be cranked up?? I realize everyones idea of loud is different but i think i have a pretty average view of loud. when i heard them they were "loud" and didnt distort but when i asked what they were running to them they said 100 watts. Is it normal to run twice the RMS to speakers? they sounded good to me, but it doesn't make since "to me the unknowledagable installer" to run double the suggested watts.

Thanks for the input guys, i did the big three over the weekend, now im starting on some dampening which will keep me busy for awhile. and a question about that?

I plan on doing layers of Dynomatt, CCF, and MLV on all door panels and behind my back seat on the back "wall" under the window. would it be worth my time to do the floor as well? that would require quite a bit more labor. would the benefits be worth the labor?

as I already stated my crossover points on my mids change depending on what I am listening to. My tune for SQ which is mostly from the easy listening genre is much different than my daily driving which involves hip/hop, hard rock, metal, techno...

I have already said the same thing to the OP....

Care to tell the application that allows you the ability to play them as low (audibly) as you claim?

They'll easily handle 60 watts. AS for experience, I have heard them in a couple installs and on a sound board (worthless), and for their price, I found them to be amazing.

I do like to listen to music "loud" at times and being these are 50w rms speakers and i will be running 60, do they have the ability to be cranked up?? I realize everyones idea of loud is different but i think i have a pretty average view of loud. when i heard them they were "loud" and didnt distort but when i asked what they were running to them they said 100 watts. Is it normal to run twice the RMS to speakers? they sounded good to me, but it doesn't make since "to me the unknowledagable installer" to run double the suggested watts.

You are correct, running double RMS doesn't usually make much sense, even to "knowledgeable installers'" (actual power applied to speakers. It's perfectly ok to buy a larger amplifier just to have some headroom, but it doesn't mean you have to use all of the amp's capability). But don't look squarely at the RMS figure of a speaker to figure out how loud it gets. Efficiency and sensitivity of a speaker play as large or more of a role in how loud a speaker will get than the power handling. Say you have two speakers, one rated at 88 db and 100 watts RMS and another rated 93 db but only 50 watts RMS. Theoretically a speaker realizes a 3 db increase with a doubling of power. So with 2 watts going to the first speaker, it will be at 91 db, still 2 db lower than the more efficient speaker receiving only 1 watt. Once you carry that power up the RMS, the second speaker is still 2 db louder with 50 watts than the first is with 100.