Don Ganso

3 questions for bass upgrade

BACKGROUND:

I currently drive a '93 Saturn SW2, (which I will probably need to replace soon, but more on that later), and use a single 10" sub, (Cerwin Vega VMAX: 500 watts RMS), in a ported enclosure tuned to 35ish Hz powered by a 500 watt RMS (at 2 ohms) amp, (don't ask what brand, its embarrassing). After the answers I recieved to a question I asked in another forum, I have decided to purchase a Fi BL. I want my setup to have great SQ and plenty of volume.

Question #1:

Is the 18 inch sub going to be amazingly louder than the 15 and what options would be best to improve the SQ and volume of eithersub?

Question #2:

If I am unable to upgrade my amplifier immediately, (budget constraints), will underpowering the sub destroy it? I have heard that I could get away with it as long as I keep the volume low until I get a better amp; is this true?

Question #3:

Eventually, I'm going to need a new ride, but i imagine that I will get the new sub and amp before then. Obviously, the stock electrical system is not going to handle 1000 watts RMS, so what can I do to allow my little Saturn to handle that power? I was hoping that if I did the big 3, I might be fine, because I really don't want to put money into things that I cannot remove from this car and the big 3 seems to be the cheapest upgrade. Will it be enough, or will I need a new alternator?

Thank you all for any input you provide.

Edited by Don Ganso

BACKGROUND:

I currently drive a '93 Saturn SW2, (which I will probably need to replace soon, but more on that later), and use a single 10" sub, (Cerwin Vega VMAX: 500 watts RMS), in a ported enclosure tuned to 35ish Hz powered by a 500 watt RMS (at 2 ohms) amp, (don't ask what brand, its embarrassing). After the answers I recieved to a question I asked in another forum, I have decided to purchase a Fi BL. I want my setup to have great SQ and plenty of volume.

Question #1:

Is the 18 inch sub going to be amazingly louder than the 15 and what options would be best to improve the SQ and volume of eithersub?

Question #2:

If I am unable to upgrade my amplifier immediately, (budget constraints), will underpowering the sub destroy it? I have heard that I could get away with it as long as I keep the volume low until I get a better amp; is this true?

Question #3:

Eventually, I'm going to need a new ride, but i imagine that I will get the new sub and amp before then. Obviously, the stock electrical system is not going to handle 1000 watts RMS, so what can I do to allow my little Saturn to handle that power? I was hoping that if I did the big 3, I might be fine, because I really don't want to put money into things that I cannot remove from this car and the big 3 seems to be the cheapest upgrade. Will it be enough, or will I need a new alternator?

Q #1-- yes that 18 is going to be considerablly louder than that CV 15. the equipment, install and box build is going to determine how the subs will sounds

Q #2-- If you set the amp correctly(gains, crossover, etc.) and you give the sub clean power, then it won't hurt the sub. If your clipping everything trying to get more sound out of the amp, then yes you will hurt the amp and the subs.

Q #3-- Big 3 upgrade would be the most cost efficient way of upgrading your electrical. upgrading the alt. wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

BACKGROUND:

Question #1:

Question #2:

Question #3:

An 18 wont be amazing louder than a 15 if you dont have the right enclosure for an 18", the most that will fit into your trunk comfortably will be a 15" sub so go that route and leave an 18" alone. A Bl will not be geared towards SQ, I would try a FI Q but from this post it seems like your not going for SQ but loud, so go with the FI BL. There is no such thing as underpowering, the only problem with having a amp with less power than a subwoofers rms is the fact that most people try to turn it up more than what it can do and start clipping the amp. Since you plan on upgrading the car why dont you wait to upgrade you equipment but if not then yeah do the Big 3 and throw a secondary battery in there so you wont waste any money on a bigger alternator since your not keeping the car (the battery can go to your next car when you upgrade but an alternator cant).

I just want a sub that sounds good with any music I play. I listen to everything; literally. I blast polka, hip-hop and rap, ska/punk, death metal, Broadway musical soundtracks, anything. So is the BL right for me? The Fi site had me convinced that the BL was the higher-powered alternative to the Q. I have been told that the Q can get plenty loud in the right enclosure, but if the BL will have that little bit extra in the volume department, (so long as it doesn't sacrifice SQ to the point of sounding like something dieing), then I'd rather go with that.

And BTW, thanks for your help. :)

I just want a sub that sounds good with any music I play. I listen to everything; literally. I blast polka, hip-hop and rap, ska/punk, death metal, Broadway musical soundtracks, anything. So is the BL right for me? The Fi site had me convinced that the BL was the higher-powered alternative to the Q. I have been told that the Q can get plenty loud in the right enclosure, but if the BL will have that little bit extra in the volume department, (so long as it doesn't sacrifice SQ to the point of sounding like something dieing), then I'd rather go with that.

Well now that you give us your music preferences the FI Q may be for you, the BL yes will be louder than the Q and it wont sound like something dying (if something sounds like that then it is an issue with the install not the subwoofer).

I don't think that you will be depressed with what the BL can do; however, I'd like to know what Broadway musical soundtracks you blast.

Whoever told you #2 doesn't know what they're talking about. When you're driving past your grandma's house and you have the volume down at only 5 out of 35 or whatever, guess what, your amp isn't putting out full power (Even if it's 1000 watts RMS and matches the sub's RMS). Is that hurting the sub? No. So it would be completely illogical to think that an amp that does less than the sub's rated power would hurt it.

Are you sure you could fit an 18" sub and its required box in that trunk?

My sister was bumpin' some songs from "Wicked" and polka is just plain cool. I can fit a box with as much a 8 cubes in my trunk without affecting my view cause my little wagon's back end is 34 inches wide on the inside and the backs of the seats are 20" off the floor of the back end. Course, I'm sure not gonna get at my spare tire with that box in the back, but that's the price you pay.

Wow on who ever told you #2. They need a smack.

Wow on who ever told you #2. They need a smack.

Done. He didn't much appreciate it though. :P

So, is the BL still capable of producing audiophile-grade sound? I'm certainly not a full blown SQ freak, but I still want to sound good. The reason I ask this is if the BL is louder than the Q but still sounds good then I'll go with that.

Audiophile and Loud don't go hand in hand. Choose where you want the compromise. I do think a BL will give you more quality than you expect though.

Audiophile and Loud don't go hand in hand. Choose where you want the compromise. I do think a BL will give you more quality than you expect though.

Usually you cannot have your cake and eat it too, but I think with the BL I might come close. Thank you for the tip(s).

For starters. A bad arse sub in the wrong box will sound like arse! So think about this. If you could fit 1-18 or 2-12's in your trunk, which would you choose? Trick question, the 12's. Its more cone surface area. So you might wanna concider something like that as opposed to just one massive sub. I run 2-10's off 4.5k and can do 150 musically. I also love the wow factor when someones shirt is rippling and their hair is moving, then they see the subs and are dumbfounded! If you want to get loud and have some of the best SQ, search different drivers. Fi is decent, but there is better. Try TC/ Audiopulse or a RE XXX. But you can get just about any sub to sound "SQish" or to the level that your asking about, just by the adjusting the box. Look for something that would be an easy box build for a completely FLAT response. I have a DD3512 that people say is very peaky. Well after careful planning and a stupid, retarded box, it has about the flatest response ive achieved yet. And great Sq too. So just remember that SQ and SPL is mainly dependant on the enclosure, not the sub. Though company's my make it easier to do either/or with their technology.

I think I'm just going with one 15 BL, but for the enclosure, I want to do something like these guys:

iputon326

Mac N Cheese

(sorry to point out your awesome systems you guys)

I really like how they've done their boxes and I was thinking the same thing, (slot port to the back of the car, sub mounted on top).

External box dimensions:

Height: 20"

Width: 24"

Length:20"

Internal, (3/4" MDF with a double layer top)

Height: 17.75"

Width: 22.5"

Length: 18.5"

So before displacement, about 4.28 cuft.

Does it sound OK?

Depends on what port you're going to use and how much volume it will take up.

so wait, I need 3-5 cubes AFTER PORT AND SUB DISPLACEMENT?

For starters. A bad arse sub in the wrong box will sound like arse! So think about this. If you could fit 1-18 or 2-12's in your trunk, which would you choose? Trick question, the 12's. Its more cone surface area. So you might wanna concider something like that as opposed to just one massive sub. I run 2-10's off 4.5k and can do 150 musically. I also love the wow factor when someones shirt is rippling and their hair is moving, then they see the subs and are dumbfounded! If you want to get loud and have some of the best SQ, search different drivers. Fi is decent, but there is better. Try TC/ Audiopulse or a RE XXX. But you can get just about any sub to sound "SQish" or to the level that your asking about, just by the adjusting the box. Look for something that would be an easy box build for a completely FLAT response. I have a DD3512 that people say is very peaky. Well after careful planning and a stupid, retarded box, it has about the flatest response ive achieved yet. And great Sq too. So just remember that SQ and SPL is mainly dependant on the enclosure, not the sub. Though company's my make it easier to do either/or with their technology.

You mean one 15, right? Cause one 18 has more surface area than 2 twelves. In a perfect world where an 18" had 18" cone diameter and the 12s had 12" diameter, two twelves would have 226.195 square inches and the one 18 would have 254.469 square inches. Now this isn't a perfect world, but the one 18 will still have more cone area. But props on putting out 150 dbs! That's great!

yeah you need 3-5ft^3 after displacements (sub, port,bracing or whatever is inside the box that is taking up space and volume).

Although I forgot to mention you're right that they'd be more musical, not to mention that they'd have probably twice the power so they'd be louder...

YES

YES

Just so I'm sure on this, do I need to design the port for a box that is closer to 6 cubes or I need to design the port for a box that is ~4.2 cubes and build a box that is closer to 6 cubes, (including port)? I really must've got misled on caraudioforum.com... wow.

build your port according to the size of the enslosure, if you want it 5 ft^3 (12 - 16 in^2/per cube of space). So your box is gonna need to be 5ft^3 after port area is taking into account, sub area and bracing are taking into account.

That doesnt mean design the box to be 5ft^3 and then start making the port because that will decrease the volume from 5ft^3.