jcarter1885

jay-cee's Build Log

I would LOVE to own the Leviathan, INFACT I have been seasoning the wife so she won't be so shocked when I buy it.LOL.

I think you will be ALOT HAPPIER when you do get done by taking your time and just mocking up different things to see how they work in real time. NOTHING EVER works how I have it envisioned in my head, BUT desire is the driving force, SO keep up the gOOd work.trink40.gif

HAHA. seasoning. I'm gonna have to use that term one day. Funny :woot:

I would LOVE to own the Leviathan, INFACT I have been seasoning the wife so she won't be so shocked when I buy it.LOL.

I think you will be ALOT HAPPIER when you do get done by taking your time and just mocking up different things to see how they work in real time. NOTHING EVER works how I have it envisioned in my head, BUT desire is the driving force, SO keep up the gOOd work.trink40.gif

HAHA. seasoning. I'm gonna have to use that term one day. Funny woot.gif

HAHA, "Conditioned" works good too.

My favorite term is SAF factor, I use that one alot too.LOL. SAF=Spouse Appoval Factor. I quit drinking 1 1/2 years ago and Smoking 3 1/2 years ago, SO my wife is pretty happy that I am interested in something BETTER. You could say the SAF fator is pretty high at my house.smile.gif

Appreciate you, I actually get a lot of inspiration from watching others build logs and it helps open my mind on what I want to do. I think Im gonna just CCF and MLV my hole ca(trunk, doors, floor) since I took car of the rattles with expanding foam earlier and not use any deadener but that is still a toss up (gonna wait till I talk to Don @ SDS).

The MOST effective places I LLPed, would be the rear wheel wells and doors. MOST of the road noise in a economy sedan comes from the rear wheels (and trunk floor) AS THEY share the passenger compartment. MOST outside city noises come threw your doors. I recommend starting with these areas if you are on a budget, as this will lower the noise floor the most, Probably 70-80% of it anyways. See if you EVEN think you need anymore after that.smile.gif

In theory, the MVL is a barrier, So blocking the noises at the source will be the most effective.

The MOST effective places I LLPed, would be the rear wheel wells and doors. MOST of the road noise in a economy sedan comes from the rear wheels (and trunk floor) AS THEY share the passenger compartment. MOST outside city noises come threw your doors. I recommend starting with these areas if you are on a budget, as this will lower the noise floor the most, Probably 70-80% of it anyways. See if you EVEN think you need anymore after that.smile.gif

In theory, the MVL is a barrier, So blocking the noises at the source will be the most effective.

One day what I need to do is let my cousin drive my car while I check all the places where I can find noise, that will be the start. I know the main problems in my car are trunk, rear wheel wells, doors and possibly the floor but havent diagnosed that as a trouble area yet. Thanks for the heads up now I have a new plan on the agenda, diagnose road noise while someone else is driving. :drink40:

One day what I need to do is let my cousin drive my car while I check all the places where I can find noise, that will be the start. I know the main problems in my car are trunk, rear wheel wells, doors and possibly the floor but havent diagnosed that as a trouble area yet. Thanks for the heads up now I have a new plan on the agenda, diagnose road noise while someone else is driving. trink40.gif

I drove around for a month and a half with the back seat out and the trunk gutted. I installed a couple pieces of LLP and drove for a few days before adding more. When I installed the rear wheel well pieces the road noise all but disappered, I am talking 75-80% from that one area ALONE. Honestly I think there is little to NO need to do ANYTHING under the factory carpet as the factory carpet is backed with a VERY RIGID material thats like MVL, Then there is padding (simular to CCF)glued to the under side of the carpet in most spots. THEN there is factory dampener in the worst spots already on the metal floor panel.

If your aren't sealing the trunk off I would definetly start there also. The next best piece was under the rear seat. I am still working on the doors, BUT ALMOST all the noise I can hear now is coming through the doors SO I know this will finish it up as gOOd as its going to get for a car anyways.trink40.gif

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, because I am SURE you can learn from my mistakes.smile.gif

So what is the ETA of the finished build? I am eager to see what it looks like. :popcorn:

So what is the ETA of the finished build? I am eager to see what it looks like. :popcorn:

Who knows but I plan on the end of the summer to be the ETA of the build and then I can start working on the car itself unless some issues arise that make me change priorities. Instead of rushing like a lot of people, Im doing more research on products instead of buying and installing like I have down in the past. If I did it this way years ago I would be finish by now or just changing a few things and not everything in the car. Im close to $5,000 worth of audio equipment that has been installed in my car since 2004-2005, so Im changing how I do things this time around. If I can finish things quicker then me and you both will be happy campers, everyday I just try to get one step closer thats all.

Well, the tortoise did win the race, not the hare. Good luck; I will be watching and waiting patiently. :peepwall:

I have to give you :fing34: :fing34: Mr. Tatts, I did a little cheapo method of lowering road noise for now until I get my mlv and ccf from Don. Earlier today I started using expanding plumbers foam for my rear wheel well areas, where I had gaps between the metal frames in the trunk. I went riding around after I did it, without letting cure (waited close to an hour or two) and it helped drastically with the noise. I still have a lot of noise left, I didnt expect it to completely get rid of the noise but it helped the situation until I can get the proper materials to kill the noise completely. Just wanted to say your are right in most cases, the road noise is coming from the rear wheel well especially in my vehicle.

All the plans are changing, I just ordered some Super Tweeters from Crescendo Audio as a replacement till I get the horns. I also just ordered a MB Quart DSC280 for my horns (temporary amp), will either keep or sell Sundown SAX-125.2 until I get a 4channel amp in the future to run horns and mids (but that is a secret for now). I sold the Z15 V.1 and box last night to a friend so in the works of deciding on some new subwoofers, so far either it will be the 15" Xcon or Z15 V.2 in 3.5ft^3 @ 30hz. No pictures or anything since I made purchases this morning but as soon as I have equipment in hand I will be posting pictures.

My friend who I sold the Z15 to, just got a 7" flip out radio so I will be doing the install and will more than likely post pictures for that as well. So just a little update fellas.

I have to give you fing34.giffing34.gif Mr. Tatts, I did a little cheapo method of lowering road noise for now until I get my mlv and ccf from Don. Earlier today I started using expanding plumbers foam for my rear wheel well areas, where I had gaps between the metal frames in the trunk. I went riding around after I did it, without letting cure (waited close to an hour or two) and it helped drastically with the noise. I still have a lot of noise left, I didnt expect it to completely get rid of the noise but it helped the situation until I can get the proper materials to kill the noise completely. Just wanted to say your are right in most cases, the road noise is coming from the rear wheel well especially in my vehicle.

I also filled the spaces between the wheel wells and the quarter panel with the foam and between the box and wheel wells. I only did the LLP on the front side of the wheel well as my barrier. I will be spraying rubberized undercoating on the outside of the wheel well (at the source baby) and I will let you know the results. trink40.gif

All the plans are changing, I just ordered some Super Tweeters from Crescendo Audio as a replacement till I get the horns. I also just ordered a MB Quart DSC280 for my horns (temporary amp), will either keep or sell Sundown SAX-125.2 until I get a 4channel amp in the future to run horns and mids (but that is a secret for now). I sold the Z15 V.1 and box last night to a friend so in the works of deciding on some new subwoofers, so far either it will be the 15" Xcon or Z15 V.2 in 3.5ft^3 @ 30hz. No pictures or anything since I made purchases this morning but as soon as I have equipment in hand I will be posting pictures.

My friend who I sold the Z15 to, just got a 7" flip out radio so I will be doing the install and will more than likely post pictures for that as well. So just a little update fellas.

I hope for your sake that you atleast have something in your car now to listen too until you done planning?

I have been without a sub since October so no bass for months. Yeah I have speakers in the car but barely listen to it, mostly wind some days and trying to locate where noise is getting into the car.

Fuck all your planning man, we want some installation pics stat.

lol

Good luck with the build. I am sure it will be nice when you get it all set up the way you want.

Question for SSA, right now I want to go back to 2-12"s on a SAZ-2000D (minus well go for cone area instead of just one 15"). I have 3.5ft^3 to 4ft^3 to work with after displacements (subs, port and bracing), I will be tuning to 30Hz. My budget for subs is going to be around $200-$300 a subwoofer, right now Im looking at the SSA Icons or RE Audio SX's.

My goals are a great ground pounder with crushing lows, I listen to mostly: Chopped & Screwed, R&B, Old School and some Rap. The enclosure will be port and subs rear firing, if there is any more information you want to know let me know (also electrical will be up to par so that is handled).

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

I say go ICONS! From everything I have read, they are low end monsters. My 10" DCON is an amazing driver that has great sq, lowend and output imo. The ICONS would accomplish your goals with ease and be a great match on your SAZ-2000D.

I would check with Mark and see when the new ICONS are due.

The current ICON would be very sweet, but I think the XCON dust cap on the new ICON is sexy!

I would think twice about the RE's. From reviews they are not what they used to be. You know I dont put a lot of stock in hear say and prefer 1st hand experience, so know that comment on the RE subs is all hear say I am passing along.

Why not a BL?

Nothing against them just dont really feel the BL's for some reason at least not for my goals. Im torn between the new look on the Icons and the old look, I still really dig the old look.

I've heard a setup with 2 12" RE SX's, I think they're the 08 model, they got LOW and They were in a little Volvo on a hifonics Brutus 2610. Don't count them out.

I'm sure the ICONs are beastly though and the new dustcap is sexy as hell!

i found this bench in tampa. lol had to take a pic to show ya

IMG_1134.jpg

:+1:

Appreciate ya, Im going to make that my avatar :drink40:

I vote icons! :drink40: