b34tBoX

"Dum-Dum" = Butyl Tape?

I was at a car audio shop a while back and they had this stuff they called, "Dum-Dum" I think. It came on a roll like tape, but was thick and kind of like putty but sticky as well.

Anyone heard of this?

\Where can I get some?

I was at a car audio shop a while back and they had this stuff they called, "Dum-Dum" I think. It came on a roll like tape, but was thick and kind of like putty but sticky as well.

Anyone heard of this?

\Where can I get some?

Dum Dum is what the window companies used to seal windshield with back in the day.. Basically it was a 3m extruded butyl ribbon, sold as a tape. Unless there is a stiff foil backing, it won't reduce vibrations.

The foil needs to be at least 4 mils thick to do any serious vibration damping. This is about 12 sheets of Kitchen foil thick. give or take.

Hope that helps!

ANT

Anyone heard of this?

\Where can I get some?

This eBay seller sells "Dum Dum" for automotive leak repair. Many times when you pull a car apart you will find hole plugs covered with some butyl compound and a piece of plastic sheeting. What are you planning to use it for?

If you want it so bad then go back to the shop and ask them where they got it. And what do you plan on using this for?

you can get rolls of that at the Army surplus store here........i was looking at it the other day when i was there

Edited by millertime