mjmarovi

Alternator took a crap...suggestions?

so I knew it was happening, and was in process of saving up for a custom valeo Ohio Generator alternator. current alty decided to crap on my today, so I need to order a new one this weekend. I don't have the 450 to dish out for the Ohio right now, and saw what seems to be a reputable company selling a 200 amp for 210 plus shipping on ebay.

BNR alternators and starters? I would rather spend the money on a 160 amp higher quality alty than a 200 amp piece of junk.

My experience in past with alternators is iraggi, ohio, green monster, and that's about it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

right now battery bank consists of a single hc1400 and hc2000, and plan on doubling this...

i've had some experience with those ebay brand alt. like DB electrical. but not BNR alternators and starters

All they do is take a stock alt and rewrap it with more copper. but what that does is take away from the idle output of the alt. even still I had a DB electrical "200amp" HO alt. bought on back in 2005 for my truck back then and it did nothing to help my system. my idle voltage actually dropped and I did the big 3 and everything. Overrated in my opinion

Edited by djphilly

I looked online and didnt find anything but call 1.888.MECHMAN and he might have some good prices for you. Whoever you order it from, I dont think it will get here by this weekend on ground shipping though.

Edited by bigrank916

I looked online and didnt find anything but call 1.888.MECHMAN and he might have some good prices for you. Whoever you order it from, I dont think it will get here by this weekend on ground shipping though.

Yea mechman has great customer service and they will help you get what you need

i've had some experience with those ebay brand alt. like DB electrical. but not BNR alternators and starters

All they do is take a stock alt and rewrap it with more copper. but what that does is take away from the idle output of the alt. even still I had a DB electrical "200amp" HO alt. bought on back in 2005 for my truck back then and it did nothing to help my system. my idle voltage actually dropped and I did the big 3 and everything. Overrated in my opinion

yeh, the two I am looking at, well here are the links....I am going to call mechman though and see what they have to say, I am waiting on a quote from excessive amperage, and highoutputalternator.com

actually while writing this reply, I tried calling Mechman, said they will would be out of the office until today, but hence I still got that recording. Will try again later or tomorrow.

I dont see the links anywhere for the ones you are currently looking at. Ive heard of the other two you just mentioned. Seen a lot of excessive amperage in the sigs or talked about but no so much from highoutputalternator.com though. Definately keep calling mechman till you get ahold of him.

I dont think I would put any money down on those. They are both remanus and the companies dont look too reputable. Id just save it for a better quality one.

Ordered one from DC Power. they had a 250 and a 150, well 180 I guess, and Rob said both would put about about same at idle. I went with the smaller one. Looking at ~120 amps at idle if not more, and I guess they are working on getting casings for some in future that will do over 180 at idle.

Thank you all for your input and I will be sure to let ya'll know how it works out!

DC Power FTW! I want to say that I have told you about DC Power before, didn't I. :D

DC Power FTW! I want to say that I have told you about DC Power before, didn't I. :D

yes I believe so in another thread I believe maybe the thread I had about my alternator going bad...

Is it a closed case style? Ive seen a few open case in some pics and they definately look sexier than mechman but if it at works the same...

DC and Ohio are the only two companies I found that wound and built their own alternators. Everyone else used more generic parts. they all work, but for me idle is most important, should see great results. BTW mechman never answered.

Well thats the same with me. Mechman never answered. I called a Ohio Gen and they said they were going to call back and they never did twice. Iraggi wouldn't answer any questions besides what is stated on his ebay ads, which I read and needed more info on. I hear that he has been getting better with his customer service though. I have a friend that really likes his mechman alt and only Mechman and DC Power have had outstanding reviews.

I don't understand... i've called Mechman throughout the year bout 4 times and never not got a response and stay on the phone however long it took.

I typically call around 4:30pm EST so right that down, lol.

I like u better if i had $10 :)

I don't understand... i've called Mechman throughout the year bout 4 times and never not got a response and stay on the phone however long it took.

lol never a good sign if you have to try and call at a certain time. a friend of mine called DC later in the day and got another answer right away. if Mechman was out of the office for a few days, I'm sure they were busy I'm not holding it against them.

Rob said something is wrong with his phone because some people cannot get through to him for some weird reason. I tried calling his phone and I get voicemail right away but when I email him, he gets it and answers on his phone.

lol never a good sign if you have to try and call at a certain time. a friend of mine called DC later in the day and got another answer right away. if Mechman was out of the office for a few days, I'm sure they were busy I'm not holding it against them.

You misunderstood my post.

I didnt say nor imply i wait til 430 to call... that's just when i'm available to call him, not the other way around.

That sounds wierd not being able to get ahold of him. He always answered when I called and he even *69 me once about 5-10 min after closing time. He must be out of the shop for awhile.

I have one on my Camaro 250 amp so far so good had it putting out 267amp with my inductive probe on my fluke meter. I'm going to install 2 350 amps in my tahoe next month I will let you know how they are.

This thread is five years old lol

This thread is five years old lol

Shh, his alt is capable of time travel. Sort of like Hot tub time machine.