Sign in to follow this  
XTRMEASURES

custom machined speaker/sub grills

im have aluminum grills made for my car, to go in the kicks with my 6.5s.

also haveing one made for one of my e8a's, its going to be the hyundai emblem.

right now im still drawing up the plans but i was thinking if it wont cost too much i might start makeing them to sale. it would be just about all sizes 5.25 on up to 18's

so what do you guys think would you buy something like that?

ill know more by next week, i have no idea how much something like this cost so i just hope its not to much so other ppl get there hands on something as cool as what im going to build....

as soon as i find out something ill post it.....

jamie

sounds good, except I am not sure if I like the Hyndai symbol :blink:

sounds good, except I am not sure if I like the Hyndai symbol :blink:

no no :rolleyes::D lol

the hyundai is for my car, if the cost is not much i will design a custom grill to sale....

jamie

I know but its up to you mango

do u think it would sale if they are nice???

its going to be something like the audiobahn grills but nicer...

jamie

ok I think I understand what your describing now

Guest dbdraggin

one thing youll need to keep in mind is that while many companies dont make their own stuff and use many of the same manufacturers and parts... you either have to have the grills oversized so they fit every size for the most part on a commercial level, or you have to have ALOT of different sizes possibly as many as 4 or 5 strictly for a 6.5" co-axial.

how do you plan on mounting them? im guessing your not planning on having them use the same srew holes as the speaker correct?

Guest dbdraggin

another thing too, if youll have these grills made by a machine shop you need to make a fairly big run off of each size youll want because the prices will be astronomical otherwize.

figure on just the 4", 5.25", and 6.5" range... say you will make a grill to fit every speaker size uniquely (we'll just take a guess and say theres 2-4" 3-5.25" 4-6.5" equalling 9 total different sizes/ types)... then you may have to make as many as 50 pieces of each to get a decent volume discount so you can sell them at a reasonable price.

then you need to pay to have a mechanical draftsman draw up each piece so a machine shop has a set of blueprints to follow to spec.. well just take a shot in the dark and say he charges you $50.00 bucks per drawing (usually a very low estimate but we will pretend its a perfect world we live in)

they you usually have to pay the machine shop a one time set up fee for each size you want made... well say its $100.00 each setup (that could be much more or much less depending on the complexity of the grills and where your from)

so lets say they charge you $10.00 bucks per grill at a volume discount after all is said and done (i have no clue really due to the materials youd use and their gauge but im just making an example)

so your total investment, assuming that all of the above is accurate (which its probably not) would be roughly:

set up fee for 9 pieces: $900.00

fee for a drawing of each piece: $450.00

volume discount price per grill of $10.00 each:

totaling $500.00 per size or $4,500.00 total

so your total outlay with the assumed overall costs would be $5,850.00

not too terribly large really but now you need to fgure this:

now being considered a company and forgetting about all the other legal fees like fed tax id, sales tax id for your in-state customers (a specialized business start up lawyer charges anywhere from $1,200.00 to $2,500.00 to fill out the appropriate forms and about another $1,000.00 to have yourself incorporated so you can be protected from any creditors you may have) , insurance, advertising on a big level ($7,000.00 for a quarter page ad in cs&e) and the real female dog that comes later... taxes, youll need to sell each grill for roughly double what you paid for it to make up for all the initial costs, prentending ita perfect world again and saying you sold every grill you had, youve just made $9,000.00 total! but how long do you think it will take to sell every grill? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? and knowing that you will probably never sell every one you had made youve got to assume a decent loss to begin with.

now subtract your initial cost from, that perfect-world $9,000.00:

your profits would be $3,150.00, much less than the $4,500.00 youll need to make the exact same sizes and pieces all over again! (an additional $1,350.00 out of pocket!)

so youll either need to lay out more money out of pocket or charge more for your product so you can offset your costs and make a true profit assuming all pieces are sold to begin with!

now heres the other two things to consider:

if you do double your price over what each grill cost you, then youll need to charge $40.00 per set of grills... not exactly cheap, and that doesnt include packaging that will need to be made either, plus a place to store above mentioned grills, or shipping costs if you should choose to absorbe those for volume orders.

plus youll need to consider getting patents and trademarks so others dont steal your ideas and have the stuff made overseas for a much cheaper price... this is not cheap either.

hope this helps, and i do really wish you success in your endevors

dB :happy:

Edited by dbdraggin

another thing too, if youll have these grills made by a machine shop you need to make a fairly big run off of each size youll want because the prices will be astronomical otherwize.

figure on just the 4", 5.25", and 6.5" range... say you will make a grill to fit every speaker size uniquely (we'll just take a guess and say theres 2-4" 3-5.25" 4-6.5" equalling 9 total different sizes/ types)... then you may have to make as many as 50 pieces of each to get a decent volume discount so you can sell them at a reasonable price.

then you need to pay to have a mechanical draftsman draw up each piece so a machine shop has a set of blueprints to follow to spec.. well just take a shot in the dark and say he charges you $50.00 bucks per drawing (usually a very low estimate but we will pretend its a perfect world we live in)

they you usually have to pay the machine shop a one time set up fee for each size you want made... well say its $100.00 each setup (that could be much more or much less depending on the complexity of the grills and where your from)

so lets say they charge you $10.00 bucks per grill at a volume discount after all is said and done (i have no clue really due to the materials youd use and their gauge but im just making an example)

so your total investment, assuming that all of the above is accurate (which its probably not) would be roughly:

now being considered a company and forgetting about all the other legal fees like fed tax id, sales tax id for your in-state customers (a specialized business start up lawyer charges anywhere from $1,200.00 to $2,500.00 to fill out the appropriate forms and about another $1,000.00 to have yourself incorporated so you can be protected from any creditors you may have) , insurance, advertising on a big level ($7,000.00 for a quarter page ad in cs&e) and the real female dog that comes later... taxes, youll need to sell each grill for roughly double what you paid for it to make up for all the initial costs, prentending ita perfect world again and saying you sold every grill you had, youve just made $9,000.00 total! but how long do you think it will take to sell every grill? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? and knowing that you will probably never sell every one you had made youve got to assume a decent loss to begin with.

your profits would be $3,150.00, much less than the $4,500.00 youll need to make the exact same sizes and pieces all over again! (an additional $1,350.00 out of pocket!)

so youll either need to lay out more money out of pocket or charge more for your product so you can offset your costs and make a true profit assuming all pieces are sold to begin with!

if you do double your price over what each grill cost you, then youll need to charge $40.00 per set of grills... not exactly cheap, and that doesnt include packaging that will need to be made either, plus a place to store above mentioned grills, or shipping costs if you should choose to absorbe those for volume orders.

plus youll need to consider getting patents and trademarks so others dont steal your ideas and have the stuff made overseas for a much cheaper price... this is not cheap either.

i understand what your trying to say, thanks for your reply.

the first thing is the guy whos makeing them is a old family friend...

he's going to take care of the business side of it...

thanks again DB

ill post more when im done with my grills

he's going to make mine for free (2-6.5" and 1-8" grill) over this weekend, then were going to see how much it would be to build a bunch of them....

jamie

i understand what your trying to say, thanks for your reply.

the first thing is the guy whos makeing them is a old family friend...

he's going to take care of the business side of it...

thanks again DB

ill post more when im done with my grills

he's going to make mine for free (2-6.5" and 1-8" grill) over this weekend, then were going to see how much it would be to build a bunch of them....

jamie

Guest dbdraggin

your welcome... wow, i made a post on here without getting flamed for it! amazing! must be the new year or maybe because its the weekend

your welcome... wow, i made a post on here without getting flamed for it! amazing! must be the new year or maybe because its the weekend

i am not like that, i ask for ppl oppinion's and you gave me yours.

the guy thats going to machine the grills was thinking of helping me out on the business part of it. (something like he build's them and i would sale them for him)

i should find out today or tomorrow all the details, the one's im haveing built for my car will be a trade for doing some work to his yukon. (audio work)

then we'll find out how much would it cost to build, then go from there.

thanks again DB

jamie

db was reffereing to that we used to have a few people on here that would flame in the wrong places

db was reffereing to that we used to have a few people on here that would flame in the wrong places

oh i see sorry :D

jamie

Guest dbdraggin

used to? they are still here

used to? they are still here

shhhhh :ph34r: