ONE15ISALLINEED

SAE-1000D Concern - blown fuses- possible melting

my local shop said they would bunny hop wires between connection points, leaving the factory wires installed. witch is understandable. i just had a issue with my new head unit installed today. it was making a windy/rumbling noise (the woofer). he said its a ground problem in the rca of my head unit. said i could send it to pioneer or do a quik mod on the rca of the head unit for 5 bucks. sound familiar?

my local shop said they would bunny hop wires between connection points, leaving the factory wires installed. witch is understandable. i just had a issue with my new head unit installed today. it was making a windy/rumbling noise (the woofer). he said its a ground problem in the rca of my head unit. said i could send it to pioneer or do a quik mod on the rca of the head unit for 5 bucks. sound familiar?

what do you mean by BUNNY HOP??

and you relize that the big 3 is just an ADD ON not a replacement right? and why would you let a SHOP do this simply 20mins job you can do yourself??

umm a h/u with windy/rumbling noise sounds like my old pioneer h/u which picked up some crazy alt wine, due to a blown pico fuse (who fuse a ground wire...go PIONEER)

the quick mod he is refering to is only a PATCH isn't a fix at all. i did this "fix" to my h/u back in the day and i still had issues with it. the mod looks like this i believe,

PioneerFix.jpg

does it work! sure sometime but most of the time no! so just keep that in mind. i was fighting with my h/u for a good 2years before i finaly upgraded to a jvc avx77 and i never looked back!

bunny hop meaning leavin the factory wires intact and adding the bigger wires on top of them without removing anything. and far as the head unit mod goes thats ugly as hell. im pretty mad about that. what would cause it to blow? he said something about hooking it up while theres still power and connecting your rcas while powers ran to your amp??? something of that nature. and it was the first time it was installed and he thru it in there for me for cheap. i dont touch that stuff myself, i have them solder the wires. i turned my HU on afterwards and notcied it. there fault, mine? they know better then me i know that.

bunny hop meaning leavin the factory wires intact and adding the bigger wires on top of them without removing anything. and far as the head unit mod goes thats ugly as hell. im pretty mad about that. what would cause it to blow? he said something about hooking it up while theres still power and connecting your rcas while powers ran to your amp??? something of that nature. and it was the first time it was installed and he thru it in there for me for cheap. i dont touch that stuff myself, i have them solder the wires. i turned my HU on afterwards and notcied it. there fault, mine? they know better then me i know that.

Well personally since he put it in and did it wrong then it is not your fault at all, he should of took his time and did everything right. So they should replace your headunit for messing it up and not do a temporary fix since the problem will still be there. There is nothing wrong with replacing the BIG 3 Wires or adding on to them, to me it just depends how many wires you have coming from that connection (I know in older cars there are usually more wires involved so it would make it more difficult to replace).

if memory serves which it does since i am getting old now (21years old ;) lol ) if you don't disconnect the neg lead of the battery while installing ANY pioneer h/u yuo will blow the PIC fuse whihc is located on the ground wire! and if you ground this h/u to the harness and NOT the cars chassie this could also play a part. and i heard one time this was due to having HOT rca's, which I THINK (i am most likey wrong) if you have used your rca in ilke the past hour and had current(voltage watever) going in them then hooked them up to the new h/u they will also kill the pico fuse!

and as far as i have heard this is for most pioneer h/u but more common on the pioneer 880 (my old h/u) and some model ending in usb. but ya that is just what i HEARD and i am 100% on those reason! but i am sure someone knows more about this!

but basically if you didn't install this and they did install it is 100% there fault and they should by right (law maybe?) replace it free of charge for you! it woudlnt' be that hard to replace it as the wires and rca are already run,! all they woudl have to do is pull the h/u out with those little steel pieces and do a swap! then send it to pioneer to get the 40-80 fix!

but don't let them tkae you for a fool!!! it is your money not there and if they mess up they should fix it right!!!

the thing is i bought it used. but they could have done testing after installing, to make sure its working properly. or maybe decided to let me find out for myself to make it look like blew the thing. i called them about this to see how much it would be to get fixed. they said 150$ flat rate. uhhh no. i just payed 140 for it and another 150 would be a waste. i could get a damn good head unit for 300 bucks if thats the case. they said they ship it off to some authorized fixing place for pioneer in new york. i really hope this is not the case

the thing is i bought it used. but they could have done testing after installing, to make sure its working properly. or maybe decided to let me find out for myself to make it look like blew the thing. i called them about this to see how much it would be to get fixed. they said 150$ flat rate. uhhh no. i just payed 140 for it and another 150 would be a waste. i could get a damn good head unit for 300 bucks if thats the case. they said they ship it off to some authorized fixing place for pioneer in new york. i really hope this is not the case

that is bullcrap! who ever installed it show stand up and take the hit! call them out on it in a nice way! and go from there. then call pioneer and tell them what is going on and maybe they can help you out if the shop will not!

Welcome to the club man, everybody has been done wrong by local shops. That is why I dont mess with them at all besides listening to productsa and buying little small accessories. Sorry it had to happen to you but that headunit could have been damaged from taking it out installing it or anything. That is why I try not to buy used because you never know the abuse it was put through before you got it, regardless of who gave it to you.

even then, if there suppose to take precaution when installing, then they should follow through after installing. checking that the unit works fine. wether its used or not, for some reason he felt that it worked fine after installed. so he let it out the shop and signatured it as a proper and safe installation. everything on the unit works fine. its just that rca ground

even then, if there suppose to take precaution when installing, then they should follow through after installing. checking that the unit works fine. wether its used or not, for some reason he felt that it worked fine after installed. so he let it out the shop and signatured it as a proper and safe installation. everything on the unit works fine. its just that rca ground

okay...but i though it was a pico fuse issue whihc is why you are getting a TON of feedback. an easy way to see if it the pico fuse is to buy one of these put it inbetween the amp and h/u rca's and if the noise is still there BAM it is a pico fuse! this is a ground loop isolator! and if you want i will sell you both of mine (whihc i don't use any more) for 20$ shipped! (since i live in canada shipping runs a little more)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-012%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&FTR=ground%20loop%20isolator&CFID=3534447&CFTOKEN=32936016

and if it is just a ground issue these isolators will get rid of it for you 100%! hands down! (or SHOULD)

Edited by CrazyKenKid

so your saying this should help the noise if it is the pico fuse?....gone.....

if it IS NOT the pico fuse this will solve your issue but if it IS the pico fuse these WILL NOT help.

i used back int he day to help me narrow down my issue! turns out it was my pico fuse that blow on me!

okay...but i though it was a pico fuse issue whihc is why you are getting a TON of feedback. an easy way to see if it the pico fuse is to buy one of these put it inbetween the amp and h/u rca's and if the noise is still there BAM it is a pico fuse! this is a ground loop isolator! and if you want i will sell you both of mine (whihc i don't use any more) for 20$ shipped! (since i live in canada shipping runs a little more)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-012%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&FTR=ground%20loop%20isolator&CFID=3534447&CFTOKEN=32936016

and if it is just a ground issue these isolators will get rid of it for you 100%! hands down! (or SHOULD)

Thats pretty funny. Definately...positively...certainly...maybe...hopefully.

Thats pretty funny. Definately...positively...certainly...maybe...hopefully.

;p you like that!!!! lol!!

When I used one of those it only made the noise softer and not as loud but it was still noticeable at low volumes or on pause. I would just save up and get a new headunit and dont go to them to install the next one.

this is pretty lame. i need to get a hol dof the kid i got it from. he said it was only a couple weeks old or so and he took it out of his car after he bought a new one. so im thinkin i might be able to get it warrantied through him. worth a try.