Sign in to follow this  
1200 bandit

SPL Head Unit

Hi Guys, I need a good head unit for spl, so what you got. I have a Alpine cda-7995 receiver rigth now, it is the one with no internal amplifier. It is good for SQ for sucks for SPL. So what will be a good head unit?

How does it suck for SPL? That makes no sense. All the head unit does is send the signal to the amplifier.

The sub, box, amplifier, and overall install make up 4,875,392,239,023,029,495,189,023,894,196,735,643,872,238,189,893,728 times more of the SPL score. That is not an exaggeration. In fact, it may be an understatement.

What makes it suck for spl????

My favorite spl deck was a junk $80 jvc with 2v pre-outs... wouldn't skip for anything..

my old non-powered eclipse was great until it started skipping... maybe that's what your struggling with??

***I'll reccomend what I use and love.. the JVC regular din dvd players.. they don't skip (even in my truck at 150+db @ 30hz) they have pause...

***Pause is a must have on an spl deck.. watch some of the newer cd players.. they no-longer have pause on them.. I bought 4 different decks this year that lacked that feature..

it is possible to run in the lanes without pause but its not easy im using a factory hu and it has no pause but i get it done. panasonics that i have used have done very well at not skipping the best is if you have an ipod dock it will never skip.

How does it suck for SPL? That makes no sense. All the head unit does is send the signal to the amplifier.

The sub, box, amplifier, and overall install make up 4,875,392,239,023,029,495,189,023,894,196,735,643,872,238,189,893,728 times more of the SPL score. That is not an exaggeration. In fact, it may be an understatement.

OMG, IM SORRY I THINK THE UNIT SUCKS o.k. On this unit you can't turn off the bass center frequency you must use it ( 60hz to 180hz) no flat. The bass focus delay affects the subwooter timing.Pause button takes 10 seconds maybe more before music play back. You never just get answers here. Edited by loud by design

it may be frustrating sometimes but the more detailed you are about something can help others help you better and faster so you get exactly what you wan and not another hu you dont like

What makes it suck for spl????

My favorite spl deck was a junk $80 jvc with 2v pre-outs... wouldn't skip for anything..

my old non-powered eclipse was great until it started skipping... maybe that's what your struggling with??

***I'll reccomend what I use and love.. the JVC regular din dvd players.. they don't skip (even in my truck at 150+db @ 30hz) they have pause...

***Pause is a must have on an spl deck.. watch some of the newer cd players.. they no-longer have pause on them.. I bought 4 different decks this year that lacked that feature..

Thank you man, and yes the unit skips. Will a 2v unit be o.k.?

OMG, IM SORRY I THINK THE UNIT SUCKS o.k. On this unit you can't turn off the bass center frequency you must use it ( 60hz to 180hz) no flat. The bass focus delay affects the subwooter timing.Pause button takes 10 seconds maybe more before music play back. You never just get answer here.

Are you talking about the low pass filter??. I think you're confusing that with something else.

And a more detailed question would work, because I don't think I've heard of an SPL Deck...Like others said maybe you want something that doesn't skip, or that can pause.

OMG, IM SORRY I THINK THE UNIT SUCKS o.k. On this unit you can't turn off the bass center frequency you must use it ( 60hz to 180hz) no flat. The bass focus delay affects the subwooter timing.Pause button takes 10 seconds maybe more before music play back. You never just get answer here.

Are you talking about the low pass filter??. I think you're confusing that with something else.

And a more detailed question would work, because I don't think I've heard of an SPL Deck...Like others said maybe you want something that doesn't skip, or that can pause.

its a boost of the the bass frequencys like how some amps have a variable bassboost and not one set at 45hz. it may effect the sub but should be limited to the speaker outputs

No it has a x-over ( flat 80hz 120hz 160hz ) an that bass control / bass center thing, it's like a bass boost that's allways on.

2volt works fine you just have to set your gains properly.. Currently I run a 2ish volt output and I have the gains set at less than 1/4 with no boost, nothing.. I get almost 3500 watts out of each pair of amps--they're only rated at 3k per pair..

**I do need to mention that I do run the amps at 1 ohm per pair (instead of the 2 that they are stable at.) with rise at my burp freq's it's roughly 1.5-1.8 ohm..

Higher Pre-amp volts are normally better. Your massive amp is only rated for 5v---well that is if they're like the P-series amps...

I've had some amps clip out from too much input voltage--just running a 5v head unit *Kenwood, Bazooka*

2volt works fine you just have to set your gains properly.. Currently I run a 2ish volt output and I have the gains set at less than 1/4 with no boost, nothing.. I get almost 3500 watts out of each pair of amps--they're only rated at 3k per pair..

**I do need to mention that I do run the amps at 1 ohm per pair (instead of the 2 that they are stable at.) with rise at my burp freq's it's roughly 1.5-1.8 ohm..

Higher Pre-amp volts are normally better. Your massive amp is only rated for 5v---well that is if they're like the P-series amps...

I've had some amps clip out from too much input voltage--just running a 5v head unit *Kenwood, Bazooka*

Good deal and the box is done.

That was quick. how'd it turn out? got it in? seem louder at the head on the port side??

Pics? :)

OMG, IM SORRY I THINK THE UNIT SUCKS o.k. On this unit you can't turn off the bass center frequency you must use it ( 60hz to 180hz) no flat. The bass focus delay affects the subwooter timing.Pause button takes 10 seconds maybe more before music play back. You never just get answers here.

If you would have said this in your first post it would have been 1,000 times more helpful. Just using a blanket statement like "better SPL deck" tells us nothing. If it has features you don't like, obviously we'd need to know those before suggesting something else.

Now that you know what I was talking about ( ku 40 ) do you have a suggesting that will help?

That was quick. how'd it turn out? got it in? seem louder at the head on the port side??

Pics? smile.gif

Not in yet I'm letting the caulking dry. Picture will be on the other forum later and I will meter next week. Thank you for all your help,clap.gif car audio needs more guys like you.

Now that you know what I was talking about ( ku 40 ) do you have a suggesting that will help?

I like my Alpine CDA9827. It sounds similar to yours, except my pause doesn't take 10 seconds. As for the bass center control frequency, if you leave the +/- associated with it at 0, then it doesn't matter. It is flat at that point and it's basically like you are not using it. I'm not sure what the bass focus delay is. Is it time alignment? If so you should be able to adjust it so that the subs are responding in step with the interior speakers.

I'm not a huge fan of Kenwood or Pioneer unless it's the high-end models. Maybe check into Eclipse. My friend has a Clarion that he likes, but I haven't had any play time with it other than listening in his car a couple times.