waltham415

Alpine Type X compnents???

Hey, everyone. On www.sonicelectronix.com, i have found a pair of Alpine Type-X reference series component speakers that, including dynomat and baffles, will run me about 200 dollars out the door. These speakers are running 300 dollars for just the speakers on Alpine's site. The only problem is there is no shops around that have these speakers available to listen to....

What are your opinions on this speaker and would you have any other recomendations (perferably costing less money?). At the moment i am running stock 5X7's in both the doors and the rear deck so anything will be an improvement. I want something with a high quality sound and i've heard good about Alpine. i'll take any advise you can give.

Thanks

I've heard that they distort if you try to run them only on head unit power.

Oh yeah, sorry, i forgot to mention i was planning on running them through a Alpine PDX-2.150 which can push 150 watts to each.

150 x 2?

Aren't those rated around 75 watts RMS?

Yeah, I was just planning on dropping the gain a significant amount. You have any advise on a good amp for that particular set of components (if the type X's are worth the money themselves)?

I'm not so sure that you can drop the gain far enough since it's going to send twice the rated power to the speakers. What kind of music do you mostly listen to?

I listen to a wide range of stuff, mostly in the rock/metal/classic rock stuff. Occasionally rap or techno, mostly just to show off the system... I'll go with metal (all that remains, as I lay dying, kse, ect) as my favorite just for the sake of discussion. As you can tell im pretty new at this.

What's your budget?

Its only going to send 2x the rated power if the volume is turned up enough (and the gain settings allow it). Remember the amplifier isn't a light switch it won't produce 150wrms instantly, its a gradual increase. "Normal" listening levels usually require very little power unless cranked while driving etc.....

Plenty of people send more than rated power to speakers and are fine as long as you are logical about volume.

jono

Considered getting some Infinity's?

Its only going to send 2x the rated power if the volume is turned up enough (and the gain settings allow it). Remember the amplifier isn't a light switch it won't produce 150wrms instantly, its a gradual increase. "Normal" listening levels usually require very little power unless cranked while driving etc.....

Plenty of people send more than rated power to speakers and are fine as long as you are logical about volume.

jono

Yeah, I was just thinking it would be better to get some speakers that could handle more power.

Yeah I actually looked at some infinities. There Kappa 680.9cp were the only model that would fit in the door, and they were running 90 watts. I still have the disadvantage of not being able to listen to them though. the only shop close to where I live specializes in rockford, kicker, kenwood, and a few other brands ive never heard of.

Rockford components sound pretty good. I don't like Kenwood or Kicker so much, but that's just a personal preference.

Why?

Not necessary.......... As long as your not doing stupid things it'll be fine (and things like HPF are in place so they aren't playing too low freq's etc but that is the same for ALL speakers no matter what the power rating...)

Choosing speakers should be more a "what sounds good to you" thing to be honest.

Yeah, i wasnt impressed with the kenwoods at all, didnt get to test any kickers, but have heard nothing good about them(speaker wise). Maybe ill go check out some of the fosgate components tomorrow.

jono

Yeah, I was just thinking it would be better to get some speakers that could handle more power.

In someones case who cant listen, hear or smell signs of stressing then yeah it may be logical to match or come close to speakers rms range when purchasing an amp for them or vice versa. But if your smart about the gain and volume then I dont see a problem with the OP running those speakers on that amp.

Why?

Not necessary.......... As long as your not doing stupid things it'll be fine (and things like HPF are in place so they aren't playing too low freq's etc but that is the same for ALL speakers no matter what the power rating...)

Choosing speakers should be more a "what sounds good to you" thing to be honest.

Yeah, that's a good point. He should still probably use a DMM to find his limit though.

Why?

Yeah, that's a good point. He should still probably use a DMM to find his limit though.

A DMM wont really help becuase he can still do wrong by them if he doesnt know how to notice when a speaker is stressing. OP find what is in your budget and what you prefer from speakers (midbass, midrange and tweets) and we can help you from there. Describe what attributes you want from each of your speakers and we can go from there.

Alright, all makes sence. i guess ill just have to keep researching, that just opened a whole new set of possibilities.

thanks for all the input

Please consider that ANY amplifier can kill a speaker (well.... within reason) I've got an ancient Coustic 4x20wrms (about the same as modern headunit power) that will kill speakers rated to 75wrms if it wanted too..... All I have to do is send it a clipped signal which isn't that hard.

I know what your saying about matching power, I'm just saying being careful with what you are doing is a better way of protecting equipment IMHO. Learning good "ownership" if that doesn't sound too wanky.

To the OP, go listen to some equipment if you can, and let us know what you like (obviously not Kenwood by the sound of it!!) some of the kicker stuff can sound alright for midbass etc but tweeters can leave a little to be desired. Again personal opinion.

Jono

I ran the Alpine Type-X reference series (6.5") before.....the tweeters were smooth and they sounded clean, but lacked midbass and would bottom out pretty easy IMO (was running 90 watts rms each). My RE Audio RE series components (entry level) had better midbass and handled power better than the type-x refs. I'm running Rainbow and DLS in my cars now, but like everyone says, it all comes down to personal taste in sound, so it's best to demo some speakers before buying them.

Wow rainbow and dls? That is a good combo.

I have had alpine type-r components, infinity components, phoenix gold components, CDT components...

Yes I tend to switch around alot LOL but I swear you listen to one and it sounds good for a little while and then you want more... then more... then MORE. LOUDER, CLEANER, SMOOTHER...

Basically you get what you pay for. So pay for a good set so you don't end up switching as many times as I did. I should have just saved and bought some rainbow or DLS components in the 1st place. I have heard them and they sound amazing.

However I like phoenix gold rsd65cs components. they sound great. Loud. Smooth. However I just can't get over how my CDT CL-65 would be so clean and clear with the volume cranked up.

I did use a DMM with a 60 hz test tone to make sure that my speakers at 3/4 volume would not shoot over the 120rms rated speaker power. And it loved it. Wanted more power it seemed like. People were amazed at the clarity. If I had the money I would invest in the CDT HD series 6.5 compoents but for 450 it is a pretty penny. I just bought some more CDT EF series 6.5 comps and I can't wait to put them in with a JL audio 300/2 amp.

Just my 2 cents.