rgncjn

Hello from Cajun Country

Hello All,

I was an installer at a local shop back when I was in high school. We sold mostly JL audio, Audiobahn, JVC, Power Acoustic and a few others I forgot. I am glad I found the site it seems they have more of an informative group here compared to some of the other forums related to this subject. I want to get back in to car audio because I have always enjoyed it and also I just purchased two new vehicles. My first project is my truck. I have a 08 GMC Crew Cab Sierra 1500. I'm looking to spend about 3000 but could possible spend more depending on how big each hit will be! I listen to all types of music but mostly rock, some rap and occasionally country. I like powerful good sounding bass. I also like having a stereo that surprises most. (i.e. using small woofers to make big sound)

What I am thinking:

Enclosure:

I would like to keep the truck fully functional meaning not removing the back seat or putting anything in the bed. So I know my options are limited to a center console option or under the rear seat. I'm leaning for under the rear seat but have never been impressed by down fire boxes. I think the reason for this is because they are almost always sealed. So my first question is has anyone heard a down firing vented enclosure? Also I was thinking of going with subthump boxes. Can anyone testify to their build quality? I have the knowhow and equipment to build my own as I have done in the past but with a family my time is pretty limited.

Subs:

If no one has negative opinions of a ported down fire box I was planning on using two 8"s. The down fire enclosure for the truck offers about .85 cu ft. per chamber so I thinking this is enough to do the following subs ported.

RL-i

JL 8W3

Amps:

Sundown

Arc Audio

JL

HU:

Looking for a double din, NAV, DVD, Dual Zone, Bluetooth, and fast user friendly I-pod control

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Kenwood DNX9140

So far this is what I have come up with. I am open to opinions or suggestions.

Time to be a sponge and soak up what the site has to offer!!

Welcome and glad you could join us :wavey5:

:WELCOME:

Welcome

welcome to ssa

and if you ever want to drop your truck, let me know crew cab nnbs' are awesome

Thanks for all the greetings fellas!

02Lincoln-LS I recently started thinking about doing a couple of 10's but I am still wanting to do a ported downfire so i'm not sure if there will be enough airspace. I have still yet to hear from anyone on how they think this may sound. Also I had a couple of 8's before and was pleased with them. Another point is if I get high powered 10's it is just a bigger amp and more money.

ecromeans I'm thinking of at least lowering the rear to match the front. Not sure if I want to lower the entire truck just yet! Do you sell the kits??

Down-firing boxes sounds just fine. My buddy has a 12" Xcon Center console with a downfiring port in a Dodge Ram and it sounds great to say the least. This is his install. Just an example of an unfinished center console, but that set up really sounds great.

JL w3s are a good choice for 8s, no doubt. Best 8s I've heard are the 8w7s or some oldschool eD a series 8s in a s-10.

I like the idea of trying different thing. Do the 8s! I've always wanted to do a set of 8s or 4 8s. Either way welcome and if you have questions, ask away. There are plenty of knowledgable people of this forum who are more than happy to help.