Sencheezy

How much can 1 handle?

The Btl won't handle 4600W RMS (mechanickly?)in a 8 cu ft box.Probably in a 5.5 or 6 cu ft box, but you wouldn't go larger then 6cu ft net.

The Btl won't handle 4600W RMS (mechanickly?)in a 8 cu ft box.Probably in a 5.5 or 6 cu ft box, but you wouldn't go larger then 6cu ft net.

One other quick thought, is that strap around the bottom of the cabinet the only thing holding that thing down? If so, hope you are never in an accident or you will be in deep shit.

Hey,

I'm a noobie with the whole forum thing, and a novice with the whole audio things too, but I have learned a lot since the beginning of the summer. I have a 96' ford explorer 4dr. And my current box is ~6.7cu ft tuned at 32hz. I am powering it with a PA a3000bd at the moment, and it sounds great. But I plan on buying another one soon. And my question is do you guys think that it could handle 4600 watts rms @ 1 ohm? I know that 01 tahoe on 26's lol puts over 5k with his new build, and was putting over 4k with his old system and has been slamming his BTL's since day 1. I know it wont be 4600w exactly since I still have stock batt and alt. But lets assume thats taking care of along with 0gauge wiring and the big 3. I wont hook another amp until I build my new box which I plan on making 8cu ft still at 32hz. Also, if it can handle this much power, should I bridge the amps to one coil, or put each 1 on each coil? Any advice concerning this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!! I am also just a daily driver who loves the bass. I can almost do a full hair trick already with this current system.

Sorry im a little late to post on this. 4600 watts is A LOT of power you have to have a very clean signal. As far as 8 cubes goes 8 cubes + 4600 watts = Death of sub... 5.5 cubes would work with that many watts for short periods of time (in my opinion) I assume you'll get the upgrades done to your electrical so no need in going into detail on that.

Only way your going to abuse the sub is by "clipping" your amplifier by inadequate "electrical" and not setting your gains correctly. Definitely look at doing 2 runs of 1/0 power and ground if your going to be running that much power. The 300 amp alt will help but your going to be needing more than 1 extra battery.

Yeah that is what my car audio adviser told me. I think I am going to lower the gains asap because I don't want to do anything stupid to my baby lol. I only have stock alt and batt right now, and I have had this setup for about 3 months now and I can start to see the effect it is having on my electrical system. My voltage meter doesnt go back up as fast as it use to after a low note, and my car starts to almost shut off at stop lights. But what you are saying is that, once I complete my upgrade on my electrical system, I will be able to apply 4600w daily to it?

it just depends. the bigger the box is the lower the power handling is.

put 4600 to it and see if it takes it. if not back off the gains.

"if not"- is that after it blows? haha

lol well hes definitely gona smell some coil if it wont handle it.

Thank you for everyone who posted on page 2 and was honest with this dude, dont put 4600 watts on your subwoofer. Just because someone has that on there's or more doesnt mean you can (it depends on how long, the box size, the install, whats the purpose). Why would a company give you a peak number when rms (contiuous power) is what you need to know. The peak power is when it blows, so keep that in mind. Just sell your amp and get you an amp that can go do 2000-3000rms at 2 ohms and you will be fine, and make sure you upgrade you electrical. I wouldnt start throwing huge amounts of power unil you have experience, the skills and the know-how to do it. But if you want to damage your baby, then go ahead be my guest since it is your equipment. Just my .02

Only way your going to abuse the sub is by "clipping" your amplifier by inadequate "electrical" and not setting your gains correctly. Definitely look at doing 2 runs of 1/0 power and ground if your going to be running that much power. The 300 amp alt will help but your going to be needing more than 1 extra battery.

Yeah that is what my car audio adviser told me. I think I am going to lower the gains asap because I don't want to do anything stupid to my baby lol. I only have stock alt and batt right now, and I have had this setup for about 3 months now and I can start to see the effect it is having on my electrical system. My voltage meter doesnt go back up as fast as it use to after a low note, and my car starts to almost shut off at stop lights. But what you are saying is that, once I complete my upgrade on my electrical system, I will be able to apply 4600w daily to it?

lol

See thats what worries me. I don't want to put 4600watts to it, and than it blows. I really wish Fi or anybody could tell me what is the BTL max?

they're rms rating for a btl is 2000, if you plan to put more on it is your choice..

about your electrical you have stock alternator whic probably pushes 60 -80 amps at max.

And i know the amp you currently run pulls more amps so if your electrical system has not failed yet i bet you it will soon

I think mine is somewhere up in the 90's. But yeah, I can definitely feel that is is dying. I have slowed it down in the past 2 weeks.

ohhhh, ok. I will do. I was kind of comparing myself with that guy with the 01 tahoe with 4 18s lol. It wont let me type his name in. But he has over 5k on each of his now with his new build. And had over 4k to them before that. So I was thinking if he could put that much on them for that long, than I should be ok. Right?

no one can really tell you how much YOURS can take.

theres no set limit on what the sub can take. well besides rms but people put way more.

you just need to check it out for yourself.

Alright. I guess you do have a point there.

lol

I find it funny that Fi doesnt know there peak rating for there sub.

Well thank you very much for all your info. fing05.gif

If there is any additional things I should know please let me know lol. Thanks.

And what good would this "peak rating" do? If they told you it took 2000 RMS and 4000 peak, would you put 4000 RMS on it? That's double their recommended RMS, so how would that make sense? Peak ratings, other than a marketing ploy, are sometimes used as a burp number. As in they may handle it for two seconds. If you put that amount on them daily they'll fry in no time.

As for the 26k or whatever on four of them, that doesn't mean he's using all of the amplifier's power. He could only be using 8k and just be wasting the rest of the amps' capabilities.

I don't think he would waste their capabilities? I'm not sure. But why would he put 4 alts and 10 batts to just use a third of the power? I understand his sponsers paid for it all, but still, that doesn't make sense to me either. I know that you shouldnt go over the peak rating, if there was a peak rating, than I would never go that far. And there are several subs out there on the market that have rms around 1500-2500 rms and than there peak be something redicuouless, I understand the peak is used for burb, but when it can handle over 8k for a burb, it should be safe to put 4k on it rms daily, just and example of what I'm trying to say. But you might know more than me so Idk.:shrug:

THANK YOU! lol

That's the answer I was looking for. Alright, I would use that 6cu ft than.

Would I be able to keep the port 32hz? or do I have to make some changes there 2?

Or could I build say a 7cu ft, and than brace the whole inside to love the cu ft after displacement?

One other quick thought, is that strap around the bottom of the cabinet the only thing holding that thing down? If so, hope you are never in an accident or you will be in deep shit.

lol sadly yes.

Until I get my new box. Lets just hope that I continue to be a good driver, sadly I drive with people from the south so you never know :tehe:

Hey,

I'm a noobie with the whole forum thing, and a novice with the whole audio things too, but I have learned a lot since the beginning of the summer. I have a 96' ford explorer 4dr. And my current box is ~6.7cu ft tuned at 32hz. I am powering it with a PA a3000bd at the moment, and it sounds great. But I plan on buying another one soon. And my question is do you guys think that it could handle 4600 watts rms @ 1 ohm? I know that 01 tahoe on 26's lol puts over 5k with his new build, and was putting over 4k with his old system and has been slamming his BTL's since day 1. I know it wont be 4600w exactly since I still have stock batt and alt. But lets assume thats taking care of along with 0gauge wiring and the big 3. I wont hook another amp until I build my new box which I plan on making 8cu ft still at 32hz. Also, if it can handle this much power, should I bridge the amps to one coil, or put each 1 on each coil? Any advice concerning this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!! I am also just a daily driver who loves the bass. I can almost do a full hair trick already with this current system.

Sorry im a little late to post on this. 4600 watts is A LOT of power you have to have a very clean signal. As far as 8 cubes goes 8 cubes + 4600 watts = Death of sub... 5.5 cubes would work with that many watts for short periods of time (in my opinion) I assume you'll get the upgrades done to your electrical so no need in going into detail on that.

So should I buy a really good signal processor than? Like the RF 3sixtie or something?

lol damn, Death is what I do not want. But you say only for a short period of time, that sucks because I am a daily driver. I want my system louder, but I just didnt want to get rid of a good amp.

lol

See thats what worries me. I don't want to put 4600watts to it, and than it blows. I really wish Fi or anybody could tell me what is the BTL max?

Honestly you just need to get the words "peak" and "max" out of your brain. You have been listening to too much marketing drivel. Plus if you think about it, amplifiers would have peak ratings also. If you look at many of them, they'll say 1000 watts RMS, 2000 peak. So there you go, match up your RMS and your peak ratings of the amp and subs if that's what will get you through the day. But just so you know, peak ratings on amplifiers mean as little as peak ratings on subs.

The best thing to do once you get your sub is to just not worry about absolute power handling numbers and figure out a gain setting that the sub will be happy at. If you turn it up and hear the sub stressing or bottoming out, lower the gain. If you smell burning, lower the gain. If you hear the sub not getting any louder or beginning to sound flat as you turn up the volume, lower it. Your ears are your best tools, sharpen them.

Thank you for everyone who posted on page 2 and was honest with this dude, dont put 4600 watts on your subwoofer. Just because someone has that on there's or more doesnt mean you can (it depends on how long, the box size, the install, whats the purpose). Why would a company give you a peak number when rms (contiuous power) is what you need to know. The peak power is when it blows, so keep that in mind. Just sell your amp and get you an amp that can go do 2000-3000rms at 2 ohms and you will be fine, and make sure you upgrade you electrical. I wouldnt start throwing huge amounts of power unil you have experience, the skills and the know-how to do it. But if you want to damage your baby, then go ahead be my guest since it is your equipment. Just my .02

Yo thanks bro, for showing my post some love. I know you know what your talking about when I was reading your post.

Alright I wont, damn, I just wanted to be louder, and I was kinda compareing my subs to dms(<-backwards lol). Because I c him putting that much power on his.

Thats the reason why I wanted to know the peak, so that I won't come close to it. But with out knowing, I don't know how much it can handle without damageing it.

I know I don't have a hole lot of experience, skills, or the know how, but I don't want to go through that whole learning phase, when I can just learn from the pros. I already had 3 other shit systems, I want to setup for the long run instead of buying new shit over and over again.

lol

Honestly you just need to get the words "peak" and "max" out of your brain. You have been listening to too much marketing drivel. Plus if you think about it, amplifiers would have peak ratings also. If you look at many of them, they'll say 1000 watts RMS, 2000 peak. So there you go, match up your RMS and your peak ratings of the amp and subs if that's what will get you through the day. But just so you know, peak ratings on amplifiers mean as little as peak ratings on subs.

The best thing to do once you get your sub is to just not worry about absolute power handling numbers and figure out a gain setting that the sub will be happy at. If you turn it up and hear the sub stressing or bottoming out, lower the gain. If you smell burning, lower the gain. If you hear the sub not getting any louder or beginning to sound flat as you turn up the volume, lower it. Your ears are your best tools, sharpen them.

Alright will do.

Thanks bro for your advice, I will def take all that in and go by it.

I already have my sub, its in the pic of my sig. I'm trying to use them lol, but they just keep wanting to hear more bass. lol. But I will go head and retune everything asap because my alt is dying on me after 3 months of hard slapping.

THANK YOU! lol

Would I be able to keep the port 32hz? or do I have to make some changes there 2?

Or could I build say a 7cu ft, and than brace the whole inside to love the cu ft after displacement?

this is what i said before. when the box is bigger the power handling goes down.

nobody can tell you if its going to take 4600 or not. this is for you to find out.

when you hook it all up and start playing it check for it to get hot and see if you can smell coil.

if you can, back the gains down. if you cant, then it can handle it.

Edited by iputon326

THANK YOU! lol

this is what i said before. when the box is bigger the power handling goes down.

nobody can tell you if its going to take 4600 or not. this is for you to find out.

when you hook it all up and start playing it check for it to get hot and see if you can smell coil.

if you can back the gains down. if you cant then it can handle it.

ohhh yeah I see what you mean.

Well what box size do you recommend for me with all this power? I am a daily driver.

THANK YOU! lol

Well what box size do you recommend for me with all this power? I am a daily driver.

well fi recommends 5-10 cubes. id say go with about 6 cubes. give or take some.

you'll have more chance of it taking 4600 with a smaller box.

Edited by iputon326

THANK YOU! lol

alright. thanks a lot bro.

THANK YOU! lol

alright. thanks a lot bro.

np man. sorry if i sounded like a dick at all. i wasnt tryin to.

THANK YOU! lol

Mechanically, yes. But just remember that thermal power handling doesn't care about box size.

"Peak" and "max" are just for marketing used by companies that go after customers that don't know any better and like to buy things that are shiny. ;)