rumblefish

10 icon compared to 12w6v2

Hello. I know this probably an annoying question, but if some one could give me an honest opinion I would really appreciate it. I have a 2007 Tahoe with 2 12w6v2's. They are in a ported box at the manufactures specs of 1.5 cubic ft per driver. It definitely sounds good. I am real happy with the box design and how the whole system intergrates into my vehicle. I have a Sundown 2000d on the way. I realize this is too much power but I wanted to have room for upgrades. I was looking at the specs on the 10 Icon and it looks like it would be a good match for this setup. I believe I could modify my box to hold the tens without too much trouble and at the same time keep my design in tact. I was wondering if 1, these drivers would work in 1.5 ported chamber each tuned to about 32 hz, and 2, would I be able to achieve the same amount of output as the 12w6's even though I will be losing cone area? Honestly I wouldn't mind having a little more output than what I have now. Sorry for being long winded.

Out put will be difficult to know for sure until installed, but the JL has the cone advantage where the Icon has the power handling advatange. Yes, the Icon 10 would work great in that box. :)

are there any subs that would work in the said 1.5 ft ported per chamber(tuned to 32hz) that would sound good but have more output than the 12w6's? If I have to rebuild the box to get more output i will, but I would like to make sure before I go to that trouble. I would love to stick with a 12 driver but I know that airspace is a little small. If it matters I listen to rock / metal, so I don't care too much about extreme lows. Ads I stated in my original post, my amp is a sundown 2000d. I want to feel that kick drum in my chest. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to use something like a 12 icon but i know that my box is not enough as it is right now.

The Icon 12 will work in the 1.5, but it won't be as home as it would in a slightly larger box. If you had a smaller amplifier, I would suggest the Dcon, as it would be just fine in that enclosure. You could always try the Icon in the current box and see if you like it, if not, then rebuild.

I say go with the Icon 12's and if doesn't sound louder you can rebuild the box to be bigger and there'll be a good chance it'll be louder. I used to have 1 10" Icon, and it went LOW, nicely built subs.

Try the 12" Icons. You will see later if you nedd to build another bigger box.

With that kind of amp, you will love them subs. I am quite sure you won't want the w6's!!!

I hope you have a good frontstage, because you will have soooo much (clean) bass !

Basically you need to decide on a goal and size sub you want to stick with because this is a useless topic. It sounds like you want loud and if so then build your box bigger like said above and tune to 35hz since you are concerned about lows. Since you have a 2000D on its way then, just start looking for subs that will compliment that amp instead of taking steps backwards to buy more stuff in the future.

Who The Hell Keeps Negatively Voting On Random Shit That Actually Is Relevant?

Who The Hell Keeps Negatively Voting On Random Shit That Actually Is Relevant?

:ehh: :ehh: :ehh:

I am going to get my icon 12" soon. I am super excited. I can't wait. I have heard good things about it.

But here is the important part that everyone stresses. THE BOX. If you can't fit the right size box, then you might not get the WoW factor.

So after reading countless threads on box building and such, I am going to attempt to build my own with 2.25 cuft with the displacement of the woofer should put me at about 29hz Maybe 30 hz. But it is going to be ported.

But yea man the box is pretty important.

I am going to get my icon 12" soon. I am super excited. I can't wait. I have heard good things about it.

But here is the important part that everyone stresses. THE BOX. If you can't fit the right size box, then you might not get the WoW factor.

So after reading countless threads on box building and such, I am going to attempt to build my own with 2.25 cuft with the displacement of the woofer should put me at about 29hz Maybe 30 hz. But it is going to be ported.

But yea man the box is pretty important.

You should tune higher

I prefer the Icon tuned a little lower then average, hence the suggestion. Many people like it best right around 33/34hz.