rkinman

Ideas on somthing simple

Well it so happens my wife wants some bass in her 06 Mercury Mariner SUV. We wanted something that sounds very good without having to add to much to the vehicle. We also don't want a huge box either and save some trunk space. She always finds a way to put her entire closet in the back of this thing.

I was thinking of a FI SSD 12". I really have no idea what would be a decent cost effective amp for this sub. Also I was wondering if I could use the existing battery from the car to handle the amp and 12" SSD.

Any recommended thoughts would be great!

Well it so happens my wife wants some bass in her 06 Mercury Mariner SUV. We wanted something that sounds very good without having to add to much to the vehicle. We also don't want a huge box either and save some trunk space. She always finds a way to put her entire closet in the back of this thing.

I was thinking of a FI SSD 12". I really have no idea what would be a decent cost effective amp for this sub. Also I was wondering if I could use the existing battery from the car to handle the amp and 12" SSD.

Something like an ssd 10 in a small ported box or sealed.....???? wait first what kind of music do you like to lessen to? and if you go with a 600 watt amp your stock Electrical should be fine I thnk your car has a 130 amp alt in it, and if she isn't into loud music you could get a smaller amp 300-500 watts

Something like an ssd 10 in a small ported box or sealed.....???? wait first what kind of music do you like to lessen to? and if you go with a 600 watt amp your stock Electrical should be fine I thnk your car has a 130 amp alt in it, and if she isn't into loud music you could get a smaller amp 300-500 watts

She is very diverse in her music collection. Rap to Rock to Country. I just want it to where if she decides to play loud, she will look at me and say "SWEEEEET"

She is very diverse in her music collection. Rap to Rock to Country. I just want it to where if she decides to play loud, she will look at me and say "SWEEEEET"

well you can get a nice 600 watt amp and if its to loud for her back the gains down.

if you do this you get more headroom.

The SSD would be a good choice and paired with something up to 1000rms would be appropriate. The ported enclosure can be from 1.8-2.5cuft and the sealed can be from .8-1.6cuft. They are both pretty small so space doesnt seem like to big of a factor in an suv. If she enjoys all types of music and isnt concerned about getting too loud, then I would recommend going sealed.

What kind of budget do you have on the amp?

One battery under the hood should be fine for a setup like this. Just do the big 3 so there is no chance of major voltage drop. You dont want her to ask why the lights are dimming, do you?

Edited by bigrank916

Well what kind of cash are you looking to spend??? You could go with this or this just for efficiency I would go with the 12'' and go ported, a proerly built ported enclosure can still be tight and punchy for country and rock but rumble away on rap and will give you the most system efficiency. as for an amp I would look here you can sundown amps just as good as new for cheap. maybe something like a SAZ 1000 just keep it gained back a bit.

forgot to mention to do the BIG 3 no matter what you pick for an amp

Edited by 144dbFiBl15

What if I decided to go with the Hifonics Brutus 1210D vs the sundown for this 12"? I know if it was a FI-Q I would definitely use the sundown. But for the SSD, you think me shaving couple bucks will make a difference?

What if I decided to go with the Hifonics Brutus 1210D vs the sundown for this 12"? I know if it was a FI-Q I would definitely use the sundown. But for the SSD, you think me shaving couple bucks will make a difference?

Meaning buying the Hifonics over Sundown or not doing the big three to save jack? Im not sure which one you mean. If its a budget install then go with what is in it. Is it $200?

Edited by bigrank916

Meaning buying the Hifonics over Sundown or not doing the big three to save jack? Im not sure which one you mean. If its a budget install then go with what is in it. Is it $200?

No, Big 3 is a must in my mind. It was suggested that I should get the sundown amp. I did some research and also found the hifonics one. I was just curious if it would be okay to go with the hifonics or if i shouldn't. From what I have read, 90% of the time people prefer the sundown hands down, but there also pushing much more powerful systems.

Don't Ever Buy A Maxxsonics Product. (Hifonics, Crunch, Autotek.)

I Really Shouldn't Have To Elaborate. (Reliability And Power Issues.)

I Vote Sundown.

No, Big 3 is a must in my mind. It was suggested that I should get the sundown amp. I did some research and also found the hifonics one. I was just curious if it would be okay to go with the hifonics or if i shouldn't. From what I have read, 90% of the time people prefer the sundown hands down, but there also pushing much more powerful systems.

For a little more money you can buy the Sundown. Almost all Sundown amps rate their power at 12.8 volts versus a Hifonics which rates them at 14.4 volts. The customer service of Sundown is...well, look around. Its excellent. I prefer them no matter what power it is.

You havent given a budget for this amplifier even though its been asked three seperate times now. All I know is $200 because that is what the Hifonics is.

For a little more money you can buy the Sundown. Almost all Sundown amps rate their power at 12.8 volts versus a Hifonics which rates them at 14.4 volts. The customer service of Sundown is...well, look around. Its excellent. I prefer them no matter what power it is.

You havent given a budget for this amplifier even though its been asked three seperate times now. All I know is $200 because that is what the Hifonics is.

Just looking for most bang for my buck so to speak. I am just trying to keep something simple to getting more advanced or even overkill. No more than $250.0 roughly for the amp.

Just looking for most bang for my buck so to speak. I am just trying to keep something simple to getting more advanced or even overkill. No more than $250.0 roughly for the amp.

Have you ever looked into something like this?

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

I would recommend this although it is $30 over your budget.

I would like to give thanks to everyone's help! I have finally placed my purchase and decided to go bigger than I wanted. I purchased a 15"BL and did the pre-order on the sundown 1200D. May have to wait a bit for the amp, But I am patient. Gives me time to save a little to get the rest of the setup. electrical for wiring and big 3, ported box, cap maybe?

Wife is very excited and I am jealous. This one sub is going to out perform my two 12"s significantly.

I would like to give thanks to everyone's help! I have finally placed my purchase and decided to go bigger than I wanted. I purchased a 15"BL and did the pre-order on the sundown 1200D. May have to wait a bit for the amp, But I am patient. Gives me time to save a little to get the rest of the setup. electrical for wiring and big 3, ported box, cap maybe?

Wife is very excited and I am jealous. This one sub is going to out perform my two 12"s significantly.

do not get a cap...instead get a battery. caps are a waste of money.

Really? Why are they a waste, I really dont know?

you really should be ok with the big 3, but if the lights dim a lil i would say get a cap. But if its dimming continuously get a battery. the cap just holds a short charge when extra power is needed for short burst, but if your lights are dimming every time the sub hits then you will want a battery over the cap. cause once the cap looses its charge now your alt has to work harder to send power to the amp battery and cap.

you really should be ok with the big 3, but if the lights dim a lil i would say get a cap. But if its dimming continuously get a battery. the cap just holds a short charge when extra power is needed for short burst, but if your lights are dimming every time the sub hits then you will want a battery over the cap. cause once the cap looses its charge now your alt has to work harder to send power to the amp battery and cap.

Yea, I did some reading. Also found a guy who has the same sub and amp, except his is the V.1 of the sundown 1200D. Before big 3 he had voltage drops to 11v. after its 13v stable.. I should be fine. Right now Im helping a friend fix his electrical. He added 2000 rms to his vehicle and is wondering why is amps keep cutting out with an indicator for not enough power. After the math we need found he needs to create 121 amps. Also only running 4 gauge wire to his 2 1000w amps. So its actually been a great learning experience helping him out.

I have a 05 Mercury Mariner and just got my 15 BL in with 1000 watt amp on the sub. I have no dimming after the big 3 and a 1000 amp battery in the front. It is incredibly loud and sounds good from country to rock to rap to bass cds.

Boo no cap!

Buy a new battery instead of a cap

x2, the best investment you will need besides doing the Big 3 wiring :drink40: .

Well, my FI BL 15" is finally mounted in a ported enclosure. My Sundown 1200d V.2 just came in the mail. All I need now is my wiring. Once my wiring questions get answered in the electrical section I will place my order. Once I get everything installed I hope to post some pics for all those that have helped me! Maybe even do a video if I can.