Sign in to follow this  
deathcloud

my first box

So I only have bought pre fabbed boxes... Yes I know I am a lame person. The boxes are probably not to spec. And the boxes I usually get are cheap and are usually sealed.

So I have been doing a lot of research and I think that the next box I want to BUILD is going to be a ported box. I know this scares me because of how hard it is going to be but I think I can handle it... If not it is a learning process.

I am getting a Icon 12 dual 2ohm sub.

My uncle who lives here does flooring and has tools/experience with wood working and stuff.

Also what he does have experience with is fiberglassing and also doing carbon fiber in the hull inside his jet ski to make it stronger. I was watching some videos of building fiber glassed boxes and it doesn't look that hard well the videos do make it seem easy. I know it may take time and experience but I want to attempt this.

So help me out guys who have had experience...

The box I want to build is 2.25 cu ft. I want it tuned to 29 hz.

Can someone give me dimensions of the box and also the port?

Here are some specs of the sub to help out for the box specs.

Fs 29.9

Qms 5.87

Qes .45

Qts .42

Mms 212 g

Sd 480 cm^2

Vas 43.7 l

Bl 16.4

Spl 86.0 1W/1m

Xmax 20.5mm

Wattage: 1000RMS

Displacement: 0.16cuft

If someone could help me that would be great. I kind of just want a box that has the sub facing up to the trunk. And the slot on the bottom facing up to the trunk as well.

I hope this makes sense... Thanks guys. I ordered my 12inch Icon sub I am super happy but want this box to be perfect for the sub. I am used to bass from 1 alpine type-r 12 inch sub. And all my friends think the alpine type-r subs are the best... well I am ready to blow them away with the icon as far as SQ and also with my box build...

Oh and some important information the box will go into the back of a Mazda 3 sedan. So nothing super tall and crazy. If you know what I mean.

try messing around with this. It can be quite useful but is not totally exact as it doesnt take the sub displacement into account. i have used it on the last two enclosures Ive made and they sound great. Just flip flop the numbers around until you get what you want. Its a good tool for beginning box building.

RE enclosure calc

Btw, welcome dude.

Edited by bigrank916

fiberglassing really isnt THAT hard. the main thing you need to do, is know the steps in doing it really. you have to know how much hardener to put in the resin and so on. if you dont get the mixture right, then you can have a batch of resin that doesnt kick off. or you can have a batch that is to hot, and before you get your matt laid out, your resin is starting to get hard. it will take some time getting used to, but once you get it, it will be 2nd nature. just have patients and dont rush

Yea well my uncle has had experience with fiberglass, bondo, doing his jet ski hull with carbon fiber (which looks cool) so not to worried about getting the fiberglass resin right... the hardest part I think is getting the right box dimensions and port size. That is the only thing that I am worried about. But also I want to have a box that looks really good too. That I will be proud of. So that is why I want to go the route of fiberglass on cotton cloth, then sanding it down. Then getting bondo and then sanding it down to make it smooth. Then get primer, paint it, and make it glossy.

Oh and some important information the box will go into the back of a Mazda 3 sedan. So nothing super tall and crazy. If you know what I mean.

I am sure you will really enjoy the experience of making your own box. Take it slow and plan things out a bit before jumping right in cutting up wood and such.

It would be necessary for you to measure your trunk and give us an idea of what sort of room your working with.

Ok so this is what I got so far....

Box width = 23

Box Height = 14

Box top depth = 18.5

Box bottom depth = 18.5

Wood thickness = .75

Square port height = 12.5

Square port width = 2

Square port length 1 = 15.75

Square port length 2 = 8

Square port diameter = 5.5

Volume = 2.24 cu ft

Tuned frequency = 30.85

I am hoping that when I put my sub into it, it will drop the internal volume enough to get my desired tuning frequency of 29hz. Am I on the right track?

try messing around with this. It can be quite useful but is not totally exact as it doesnt take the sub displacement into account. i have used it on the last two enclosures Ive made and they sound great. Just flip flop the numbers around until you get what you want. Its a good tool for beginning box building.

RE enclosure calc

Btw, welcome dude.

Thanks for the welcome... btw I am from Roseville. Moved to Florida for school. Small world haha..

dont quote me on this but i think that if u decrease the internal volume of the box (putting the sub in) it will raise ur tuned frequency

dont quote me on this but i think that if u decrease the internal volume of the box (putting the sub in) it will raise ur tuned frequency

Yep, you're right about that.

damn it....

I am so bad at this... How would I lower the frequency to like 28hz... Basically what is the way to lower the tuned frequency when building a box. Maybe if I knew then I could do that to my box.

You will have to extend the port length to get a lower frequency or make the box alittle smaller with the same port length which i dought you would want to do. Bigger box produces a better lower end

Edited by wof131s

when u reach a certain box size like u got now 2.24 cubes at 30.9hz, this is what u should know-

Decreasing internal volume will raise tuning.

Increasing internal volume will lower tuning.

Increasing port area while maintaining same port length will increase tuning.

Decreasing port area while maintaining same port length will decrease tuning.

Increasing port length will lower tuning.

Decreasing port length will raise tuning.

pick a route to go to get to your goal.

Ok awesome... This forum is great. Making everything a lot easier on me. Thanks guys. I really do appreciate the input. I am going to measure my trunk space and see what I am working with. Also see the gap of my trunk and get the box to fit :)

I am really excited to get started on this.