thebiggmann12

Need Advice on Best Box

hey guys, im having a hard time deciding on which box to build for my 18" nightshade. i will be using a hifonics brutus bxi1610d amplifier. i have a fairly small trunk but the sub will fit with a correctly sized box. i used the re calculator to come up with 2 different designs. i need your help to choose which would be best. here is the first one http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/thebiggmann12/2.png and the second one is here http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/thebiggmann12/Untitled.png the one with the port along the bottom would be port back sup up and the other one would be port up sub up. it will be going in a hatchback focus. if u need any more information i will be glad to give it to you.

Edited by Brandon Daily

its gonna be a daily box. it will be in a focus hatchback. i listen to mainly rap music with low bass lines. im just not too sure how the sub up port back setup will work and i dont want to have to build another box if this one doesnt sound right.

its gonna be a daily box. it will be in a focus hatchback. i listen to mainly rap music with low bass lines. im just not too sure how the sub up port back setup will work and i dont want to have to build another box if this one doesnt sound right.

What is that supposed to mean. If you put the speaker in the box it will work.

Do you mean, youre not sure if it will be loud enough?

Not wanting to build another box if its not right? Why not? Thats part of testing. Everyone does that at one point or another.

yea i just want to make sure that its gonna be loud enough. and i love building boxes, just not spending 60 bucks for wood.

yea i just want to make sure that its gonna be loud enough. and i love building boxes, just not spending 60 bucks for wood.

Well that doesnt make any sense at all, that you want to try to make different boxes to see which one will work better but you dont want to keep wasting wood. You gotta compromise or leave it how it is now, if you dont want to keep spending 60 then leave the box how it is. Once you find the loudest position then you dont have to keep testing but asking us is useless man, nobody can tell you since every car and isntall is different. The only person who can answer this for you is you and testing, so good luck.

You'd better keep on reading to find some examples of boxes in cars like yours. Or ask some of the custom box designers on this forum, but you will have to pay for a design.

FYI : I am very happy with the designs I bought from Fishercustoms. I have a hatchback car (hope it is the right word !) and I like it with sub up and port up.

Good luck for your build !

You'd better keep on reading to find some examples of boxes in cars like yours. Or ask some of the custom box designers on this forum, but you will have to pay for a design.

FYI : I am very happy with the designs I bought from Fishercustoms. I have a hatchback car (hope it is the right word !) and I like it with sub up and port up.

Good luck for your build !

Doesnt go with the topic, he doesnt want someone to make the box for him or give him designs. He wants to know what will be the best box for his car, output wise without testing.

What is that supposed to mean. If you put the speaker in the box it will work.

Do you mean, youre not sure if it will be loud enough?

Not wanting to build another box if its not right? Why not? Thats part of testing. Everyone does that at one point or another.

Lol laugh.gif

Edited by DeepSubBoy

well i have tried the sub up port up box, and it sounds good, just lacking in the low end department on this nightshade, so i ended up emailing jacob from sundown and im gonna do the sub up port back box. pics will be coming soon.

well i have tried the sub up port up box, and it sounds good, just lacking in the low end department on this nightshade, so i ended up emailing jacob from sundown and im gonna do the sub up port back box. pics will be coming soon.

Probably becuase it is not a low end monster like the sub you had before or are used to (not saying it cant hit the lows). I dont know why you bought one if your looking for a sub with an authorative bottom end that could get loud, I would of went with an Xcon but thats me.

well most people will say that the nightshade is pretty good on the low end, and im pretty sure it is too, i think the box i had it in just wasnt allowing the sub to hit the lows right. so im building it bigger and tuning about the same. should work out better.

I think it will work out fine but wont be what you are looking for at all in my opinion. From going to a 18" Q ported at 27Hz to a 18" Nightshade ported at 31Hz will still be complete opposites regardless of how low you tune a Nightshade but Im curious so keep me posted.

will do.getting wood 2marrow, i think it should turn out great.

Wish I Had The Program Pete Has And Your Specific Car Dimensions And Acoustics, I'd Be Able To Figure It Out.

But It's All Trial And Error, We All Do It.

I Agree With jay-cee, You're Probably Asking Too Much From A Woofer Which Is Made For Output Rather Than Being A Low End Monster Like The Q, I Also Agree With The Statement About The Xcon.