Sign in to follow this  
ridn.strappd

Amp not working right

I got a directed d2400 amp hooked up to a JL 13w7. Theres a red and a green light that are both on. The red light has always been on as far as i can remember. The amp keeps blowing fuses like crazy. I can listen to music like half way or so and its fine but when i bang it it will just shut off and pop a fuse. I got 4g wire. I'm not sure why it keeps blowing fuses. I've been through like 7 fuses in a few days. I drive an 01 pt cruiser with no capacitor. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Side note: it did the same thing when i first hooked it up but it worked fine for a few months now its messed up again. Also my serpentine belt is going bad an it squeeks REAL loud when the car drawls a lot of power for anything, if that means anything as far as the audio problem or not im not sure.

I got a directed d2400 amp hooked up to a JL 13w7. Theres a red and a green light that are both on. The red light has always been on as far as i can remember. The amp keeps blowing fuses like crazy. I can listen to music like half way or so and its fine but when i bang it it will just shut off and pop a fuse. I got 4g wire. I'm not sure why it keeps blowing fuses. I've been through like 7 fuses in a few days. I drive an 01 pt cruiser with no capacitor. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Side note: it did the same thing when i first hooked it up but it worked fine for a few months now its messed up again. Also my serpentine belt is going bad an it squeeks REAL loud when the car drawls a lot of power for anything, if that means anything as far as the audio problem or not im not sure.

If you say your amp has a red and green light and the red light has alwasy been on, you didnt have the sense to know that red is bad. How long has this been going on for? No capacitor has nothing to do with it. Well get a volt meter number one, if your having problems with your electrical or alternator then stop playing your system immediately and take care of it so you wont be broken down on the road somewhere just cause you wanted to bump).

I honestly dont know than, my buddy said it was. I ran power to power to amp, and neg to neg to amp.

That was me on my buddies name. But i really didnt notice. I know it pops when it hits a real strong note but im not sure if it varies or not.

That was me on my buddies name. But i really didnt notice. I know it pops when it hits a real strong note but im not sure if it varies or not.

well if it does it every time it hits a strong note, its pullin to many amps and poppin a fuse.

it could be that your electrical cant support it.

So do you think that a capacitor would help? What about the belt? It slips a lot but im honestly not exactly sure what it does, i just think it charges the alternator giving it more power to run? Or should i just replace the alternator and get another battery too?

So do you think that a capacitor would help? What about the belt? It slips a lot but im honestly not exactly sure what it does, i just think it charges the alternator giving it more power to run? Or should i just replace the alternator and get another battery too?

Capacitor = Fail

Caps are not beneficial. Get another battery.

youd be fine just getting a better alt. your amp puts out 1200 watts at 1ohm so you dont need another battery.

do the big three and change your wire to 0 guage. this would help a lot.

there also could be something wrong with your amp if its been in protect the whole time.

so it might not be your electrical.

Edited by iputon326

Sounds like you're working your electrical system too hard. The squealing belt may be from added resistance from a component in the belt loop, probably the alternator. Which the alternator on those things is dumb small, like 70 amps. So don't be surprised if your alternator kicks the bucket before long.

The fuses may be popping because the car's voltage drops too far and the amp starts sucking more amps to make up the power difference, thus overloading the fuses. You may have also already damaged the amp from undervoltage.

Quick fix: Turn it down.

Try the amp in another car and see if it still does it.

Sounds like you're working your electrical system too hard. The squealing belt may be from added resistance from a component in the belt loop, probably the alternator. Which the alternator on those things is dumb small, like 70 amps. So don't be surprised if your alternator kicks the bucket before long.

The fuses may be popping because the car's voltage drops too far and the amp starts sucking more amps to make up the power difference, thus overloading the fuses. You may have also already damaged the amp from undervoltage.

Quick fix: Turn it down.

Try the amp in another car and see if it still does it.

x3, get another belt (that problem needs to be fixed asap); then do the BIG 3 wiring with 1/0AWG wiring, buy you a voltmeter and install it. If your still having problems then look at replacing alternator and getting a secondary battery for your system.

Thanks guys I replaced my belt yesterday and blew a fuse. I was thinking of using the 4g power wire to my amp for the big 3 than getting 0g for the amp. Good or bad idea?

Thanks guys I replaced my belt yesterday and blew a fuse. I was thinking of using the 4g power wire to my amp for the big 3 than getting 0g for the amp. Good or bad idea?

well its better then ur stock 8 guage so it will help some.

but if you can get 0 guage for your amp get some for the big 3 also. you dont need that much.

Is it possible to hyperground and do the big 3? I've got a basic idea of what both are but im not 100% sure. I'm trying to make the most efficient electricity flow i can.

Is it possible to hyperground and do the big 3? I've got a basic idea of what both are but im not 100% sure. I'm trying to make the most efficient electricity flow i can.

What do you mean by this?

Hyperground, from what i've gathered, is running a daisy chain of wires that i guess give it a much better ground. The big 3 is Battery pos to alternator, engine block to chasis ground and battery ground to chasis ground.

I know what the BIG 3 is, just wasnt sure on hyperground?

daisy chaining has to do with amps.

the second part you said is right :)

Naw he his right:

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/hyperground/

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0401cae_hyper_ground_system/index.html

It looks like it is more designed for car's performance more than car audio but this is new to me.

oh well hell. proved me wrong didnt he lol.

i just seen daisy chaining and figured he was talking about strappin amps.

Now if your worried about turning your car into a perforamance ride then I see the point of hypergrounding but if your jsut doing car audio in then just upgrading the BIG 3 alone is all you need and you will be fine with whatever electrical upgrades your system will require so it can function porperly.