jcarter1885

Common Sense

This is a common sense topic on things that you want to be discussed or you feel should be brought up because you see a lot of people doing it and it gets on your nerves.

I have one to start off with, me and a member were debating whether a radar detector will make you a better driver (here's the link to check out the words exchanged - )

I actually took this to facebook and shared this with some of my other colleagues and peers and have gotten two responses so far on this issue:

Response #1 - ''That sounds stupid cuz usually you speed until it goes off then u slow down.....but if you was already driving like you was supposed to you wouldn't need the radar detector."

Response #2 - "Tell him to drink a tall glass of sit yo ass down.. logically, it makes no sense"

If anybody has any input or other common sense topics they would like to discuss then this is the place (and please keep these logical cause I already know people are gonna come in here with the bull shit stories or statements because there common sense level is already low).

Thankx, just for fun so if someone says something you dont like dont get emotional at all (they are just words, you will live at the end of the day). If you cant handle critcism or others responses back then walk away cause this is for grown people with thick skin and not little kids who cry cause you cant control your feelings.

I am an attentive driver, but I am more attentive if I am speeding or stretching the law in any other way.

So what happens when I am not? I tend to spend more time on the phone, might be looking things up in the GPS, changing the radio stations etc. While I'll be the first to admit this isn't good period, considering this is a car audio forum I bet playing with music is pretty commonplace on here.

So that being said, I am most attentive when I "need" my radar detector most. Does this mean the detector makes me a better driver, not directly but I am a better driver while I am using it for its intended purpose. I will also say that even when I am distracted by doing other things having it go off will cause me to re-focus on the task at hand and improve my attentiveness.

Okay, you are not getting what I am trying to say. Not everyone will drive like they are suppose to. Not everyone will drive safely and follow the road rules. So if these people that think of nothing but to get pass red lights and to their destination about 5 minutes earlier, didn't have radars they will still speed. I am saying that some of these people will drive safer or try to and follow the rules when the radar is going off. They will not run red lights or speed when they think there is a cop around. I am not saying that radars are going to stop the road accidents or retards from making bad decisions on the road. It can decrease the amount of time that people drive like crazy or disregard the law. Would you drive faster or recklessly in front of a cop?

Just saw your post ///M5. That is about what I am saying with the radar detectors. I guess I chose my words wrong with "better drivers".

I am an attentive driver, but I am more attentive if I am speeding or stretching the law in any other way.

So what happens when I am not? I tend to spend more time on the phone, might be looking things up in the GPS, changing the radio stations etc. While I'll be the first to admit this isn't good period, considering this is a car audio forum I bet playing with music is pretty commonplace on here.

So that being said, I am most attentive when I "need" my radar detector most. Does this mean the detector makes me a better driver, not directly but I am a better driver while I am using it for its intended purpose. I will also say that even when I am distracted by doing other things having it go off will cause me to re-focus on the task at hand and improve my attentiveness.

Now I can agree with that all day, very logical way to put it. But to simply state a radar detector makes you a better driver is ridiculous. In your case a radar detector is your eyes/ears when your busy sometimes (doing something that will take your mind of the road for some few seconds maybe a minute at the most). I try not to talk on the phone period and if I do, I will put it on speakerphone and turn the music down so I can have the phone in my lap. I try to be a very defensive driver since it is dangerous to not pay attention to signs and/or speed limits. Yeah dont get me wrong I speed when I want to (maybe on a clear day when you can say ahead of you or with a pack and Im not the first or last car) but as far as taking chances it is not worth it to me. Dont get me wrong, Im not innocent of speeding but I try to be the most defensive driver on the road 99% of the time.

If he's more attentive and cautious when his radar is going off, that would mean he is better at driving, to the extent of the law.

Okay, you are not getting what I am trying to say. Not everyone will drive like they are suppose to. Not everyone will drive safely and follow the road rules. So if these retards that think of nothing but to get pass red lights and to their destination about 5 minutes earlier, didn't have radars they will still speed. I am saying that some of these people will drive safer or try to and follow the rules when the radar is going off. They will not run red lights or speed when they think there is a cop around. I am not saying that radars are going to stop the road accidents or retards from making bad decisions on the road. It can decrease the amount of time that people drive like crazy or disregard the law. Would you drive faster or recklessly in front of a cop?

Just saw your post ///M5. That is about what I am saying with the radar detectors. I guess I chose my words wrong with "better drivers".

Dude I understood everything you said, and regardless of how you put it a radar detector will not make you a better driver period. Now I do see that you use the wrong word choice and your argument might be valid but not all of it. If you mean to tell me that people use radar detectors to determine if they should run through a red light then that is fucking stupid, maybe they should get another car detector to tell them that there are cars running through the other lanes where the light is green.

I wouldnt drive reckless period and that is my take (if your late, your still gonna be late if you speed) so why risk being the same late regardless if its 1 minute or 30 minutes with a speeding ticket and whatever else comes from it. You got to realize that you being late is your fault and not a reason to put everyone else's life in danger because of your poor time management.

A radar detector to me is uselss (I used to want one years ago before I started noticing that defensive driving and caring about paying tickets will solve any needs for getting a radar detector. Now if you feel you need one then go ahead and get one but dont tell people you got it because it makes you "better driver" (not the case at all).

If he's more attentive and cautious when his radar is going off, that would mean he is better at driving, to the extent of the law.

Being a better driver is going to last over a large time period and not just two seconds of major beeping in the car. Like ///M5 said the only time he uses the radar is if his attention is distracted and that is it (I also agree you should be more attentive if you are speeding or breaking the law, I mean personally be more attentive and not using a device - that makes you a better driver).

Maybe we have two different definitions of a better driver, using a device to help you for few seconds does not make you a better driver. It makes you rely on a tool or piece of equipment that if it fails you are back to being the suck ass driver you are from go. A better driver is someone who takes life's lessons and driving experiences to apply them to their everyday driving from here on out until they are no longer driving anymore.

You still don't get what I am saying. I am not saying people get radar detectors to run red lights. I am saying that those that usually will speed up to get through before the red light will not speed up pass the limit if they think a cop is nearby watching. It stops some people from doing what they would do if there was not a cop around. You are still going off your own habits. It is great that you drive defensively, but can you say that for everyone else out there? Its like saying everyone can put 5k watts to a Nightshade because the sub was fine for you. Other people will have tendencies to up the gain or send clipped signal to the sub or are a volume knob warrior. For clip indicators, people that have them can see when the signal is getting clipped and they will be safer and turn it down if they want to save their sub.

Being a better driver is going to last over a large time period and not just two seconds of major beeping in the car. Like ///M5 said the only time he uses the radar is if his attention is distracted and that is it (I also agree you should be more attentive if you are speeding or breaking the law, I mean personally be more attentive and not using a device - that makes you a better driver).

That was not what I got from his post. His radar detector is not his eyes for other things besides the cops. It is what he does from the radar beeping that will make him safer and those around him. And I'd rather have people be better drivers for a little amount of time then no time at all.

in a way i believe it makes people that like to speed a little better at driving.

a person with a detector wont always be speeding because they slow down once it goes off.

now a person without one that likes to speed wouldnt slow down. maybe unless they seen a cop.

You still don't get what I am saying. I am not saying people get radar detectors to run red lights. I am saying that those that usually will speed up to get through before the red light will not speed up pass the limit if they think a cop is nearby watching. It stops some people from doing what they would do if there was not a cop around. You are still going off your own habits. It is great that you drive defensively, but can you say that for everyone else out there? Its like saying everyone can put 5k watts to a Nightshade because the sub was fine for you. Other people will have tendencies to up the gain or send clipped signal to the sub or are a volume knob warrior. For clip indicators, people that have them can see when the signal is getting clipped and they will be safer and turn it down if they want to save their sub.

That is what you said, I understand you. Regardless of what I do or what others dont do. This is about common sense and what should be done, that is what this topic and the statements made in the other topic where pertaining too. Im not talking about individuals who live there lives on sheer stupidity or thrills when behind the wheel. The nightshade example is not relevant to this at all, but thanks for tryng.

A radar detector does not make you a better driver if you choose to not speed up through the light cause you know a cop is around (that is common sense kicking in cause you dont want a ticket). That speeding through the light isnt relevant either becuase timing comes into the play plus other attributes like distance. You shouldnt speed up pass the limit or speed up period faster than you are going to get through a yellow light (now that is playing with fire, you got other cars to worry about even the people waiting in that opposite left turn lane trying to turn also).

A better driver is someone who follows the laws in order to better their driving skills (a radar detector is not that, its a secondary look out when your eyes cant see or where they cant see).

in a way i believe it makes people that like to speed a little better at driving.

a person with a detector wont always be speeding because they slow down once it goes off.

now a person without one that likes to speed wouldnt slow down. maybe unless they seen a cop.

It is still not helping the ones who speed become better drivers, it helps them be in control while doing wrong (it doesnt make up for there poor driving skils in any way shape or form).

"Does this mean the detector makes me a better driver, not directly but I am a better driver while I am using it for its intended purpose."

(///M5 said it best, it directly, logically and common sense wise does not make you a better driver period). Now being more attentive or having help on the road helps you out, yes I agree but if your not a good driver from go then that device makes it worse or makes excuses for you until it goes off). Just my .02

It is still not helping the ones who speed become better drivers, it helps them be in control while doing wrong (it doesnt make up for there poor driving skils in any way shape or form).

"Does this mean the detector makes me a better driver, not directly but I am a better driver while I am using it for its intended purpose."

(///M5 said it best, it directly, logically and common sense wise does not make you a better driver period). Now being more attentive or having help on the road helps you out, yes I agree but if your not a good driver from go then that device makes it worse or makes excuses for you until it goes off). Just my .02

thats really wat i was tryin to say.

it just makes them more cautious for a period of time.

not a better driver but more cautious.

:werd_msword: I do like that word, best way to put it a more cautious driver for a certain period of time thats all (excellent word choice :woot: ).

I never said anything about common sense. If everyone had common sense and put it to good use on the road then, fuck, we wouldn't need laws. But that is not reality is it? Making someone more cautious and aware would make them drive better for those around them. I wish everyone has common sense to drive safely but thats not going to happen is it now? Dude, you keep restating that you understand what I am saying but you don't. You think that I will take a radar detector over common sense? No.

This is going nowhere, as you cannot comprehend what I am getting at. You are stuck on common sense as an ideal. Get it through your head, that not everyone is going to drive with common sense. That is why we have accidents.

Common sense? Common sense tells me when I want to make a thread about a specific topic, I make that the title of the thread.

Common sense? Common sense tells me when I want to make a thread about a specific topic, I make that the title of the thread.

Well if you would of read the whole first post in this topic then you would know that this is the starting conversation of the topic but not the whole consensus of this topic, but I do thank you for your wonderful remarks (haha). Common sense would also tell me to read everything before making a comment, just my .02.

I never said anything about common sense. If everyone had common sense and put it to good use on the road then, fuck, we wouldn't need laws. But that is not reality is it? Making someone more cautious and aware would make them drive better for those around them. I wish everyone has common sense to drive safely but thats not going to happen is it now? Dude, you keep restating that you understand what I am saying but you don't. You think that I will take a radar detector over common sense? No.

This is going nowhere, as you cannot comprehend what I am getting at. You are stuck on common sense as an ideal. Get it through your head, that not everyone is going to drive with common sense. That is why we have accidents.

No shit sherlock, I know everybody doesnt have common sense (it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out). Regardless of what you say you should of worded it better and this would of not began a discussion from go. I said something about common sense from go (that is one thing about becoming a better driver, mayber you should of understood my post before responding to it in where this conversation originated at). Your saying that a radar detector makes someone a cautious driver when it is in use (point blank), what Im correcting you on is what you said earlier about it making you a better driver (point blank). That is clear as night and day to me and others who jumped in here and commented. I comprehend very well, its just now your going back and forth. Radar detectors dont make you a better driver only a more cautious driver for a certain time. Following the rules on the road most of the time your behind the wheel regardless if you have a detector or not is what makes you a better driver since you are practicing this act all the time to "BETTER YOURSELF BEHIND THE WHEEL".

Now common sense makes you a better driver because you will think before doing things or have the knowledge to know what is right and wrong; then applying them to life and following these guidelines.

Like ///M5 said the only time he uses the radar is if his attention is distracted and that is it (I also agree you should be more attentive if you are speeding or breaking the law, I mean personally be more attentive and not using a device - that makes you a better driver).

Actually as I stated in the other thread, I flat out HATE driving without one and use one 100% of the time.

The detector helps me be more attentive which does make me a better driver. All other logic aside it is most definitely the case.

Common sense rant: Let's make it fucking illegal to drive in the passing lane if you aren't passing and at the same time make it illegal to pass in the right lane. Dipshits driving slow in the left lane cause more of a mess than even a dipshit with a detector driving too fast.

Naw the worse are the people (mostly females) who drive on the phone and are going slow or arent paying attention to the road since that phone call or text is the most important thing in there life at that moment.

Naw the worse are the people (mostly females) who drive on the phone and are going slow or arent paying attention to the road since that phone call or text is the most important thing in there life at that moment.

And they are always in the fucking passing lane going 10 under. FUCK YOU BITCHES.

And they are always in the fucking passing lane going 10 under. FUCK YOU BITCHES.

Nothing worse than those slow pricks! And they wonder why people ride their ass and flip them the bird!

Like ///M5 said the only time he uses the radar is if his attention is distracted and that is it (I also agree you should be more attentive if you are speeding or breaking the law, I mean personally be more attentive and not using a device - that makes you a better driver).

Actually as I stated in the other thread, I flat out HATE driving without one and use one 100% of the time.

The detector helps me be more attentive which does make me a better driver. All other logic aside it is most definitely the case.

Common sense rant: Let's make it fucking illegal to drive in the passing lane if you aren't passing and at the same time make it illegal to pass in the right lane. Dipshits driving slow in the left lane cause more of a mess than even a dipshit with a detector driving too fast.

So if it was illegal to drive in the passing lane when you're not passing, then wouldn't having a radar detector make those that want to drive slow in the passing lane drive faster or stay out of the passing lane?

I really don't understand how what you're saying is different than what I am saying. You use the same words as me but don't get an argument. lol.

And yes, I hate slow pricks in the passing lane too.

Common sense rant: Let's make it pucking illegal to drive in the passing lane if you aren't passing and at the same time make it illegal to pass in the right lane. Dipshits driving slow in the left lane cause more of a mess than even a dipshit with a detector driving too fast.

I do believe they recently passed something along those lines here in Louisiana.