...and what do you like or dislike about it?

I am in the market for a DMM. I read here about true rms DMMs after someone mentioned to be aware of this feature. Is this necessary for setting up gains when a constant frequency is used to get a voltage measurement? Also, how accurate or unnecessary would a clamp meter prove to be?

At the moment, I feel I am shopping for a clamp meter with true rms feature. I appreciate your thoughts.

I have a Fluke. Awesome, but I'd hate to have to pay for it.

As for your other question, it is impossible to answer without knowing what you want to use it for.

I will be needing it to set gains more scientifically than by ear, without using an o-scope, as well as measuring resistance, voltage, and attempting to measure current. That may help explain my intentions. I saw a $70 Mastech and a $700 Fluke. I would hate to pay for a Fluke as well.

Not always advisable to use a DMM to set gains. If you are going to make sure to set them conservatively as without doubling power you can't hear the difference anyways. For that a cheap $5 DMM from Microcenter will be more than adequate.

I use a fluke 177. Fluke is the best because you beat the heck out of it and still works,lol

If you are looking for a meter that you intend on useing for years stick with Fluke, but there are lesser costing meters out there that may work better for you.

Just bought a Triplett true rms clamp on dmm. Waiting for it in the mail so the review isnt in yet. It was $100.

Fluke DMM's here, but I'm an electrician so I already had them on hand. They're durable and reliable, and it's a well known brand in the electrical field.

I also use Triplett and Amprobe branded products, which are excellent as well. You can't go wrong with any of these 3 brands IMO; just make sure it has all the features you need.

if you have the $$$$$$$ I would get both a clamp and a dmm

and yes get both with rms .

if you realy have the cash i would get ac/dc clamp like a fluke 337a you will love it forever..

fluke is high end for car audio use , extech at sears is acurate enough for most car audio needs and much cheaper .

I have a fluke 115 and one of these acting as my clamp meter! they work great together!! i like to use a fluke b/c it has a auto range feature! and they don't cost that much on ebay! loL!

fluke meter i won

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110459641867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and clamp attachment i also won!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280425266388&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

this is a great combo for me and with fluke you CAN"T go wrong!! I started using a fluke in college and i loved them ever since!

I have a fluke 36 clamp meter (Similar to the 336 or 337), but a "nice" home depot DMM. For very light use it wont matter that much, but Fluke is more reliable and accurate than many meters. I've never heard a complain about fluke (other than price), I've never regretted spending the extra money on good tools, but I've always kicked myself later when I cheap out.

. . . . I've never regretted spending the extra money on good tools, but I've always kicked myself later when I cheap out. . . . .

Very true.

Sounds like many of you enjoy your Fluke.

Thank you all for the replies.