Impious

Amplifier Headroom

i just learned some words ive wondered about, Nice explanation.

but, In you comparisons of the 50 watt amp and the 200 watt amp.

How are the gains set? Are both amps set to give an output of 10 watts or is the 50 watt set to give 50 and the 200 watt amp set to give out 200.

i just learned some words ive wondered about, Nice explanation.

but, In you comparisons of the 50 watt amp and the 200 watt amp.

How are the gains set? Are both amps set to give an output of 10 watts or is the 50 watt set to give 50 and the 200 watt amp set to give out 200.

Gains are really a bit independent here. Dynamic capability is what is important.

Pretend you put a sine wave in (which I know doesn't have a crest factor, but it may be confusing for readers to talk about gain setting with dynamic music) the overall output of the amp would be 10w. It wouldn't matter if you had your headunit nearly maxed and the gain down or your headunit off and the gains up. The point was you were outputting 10w and that the amplifier has the capability of more. *obviously this requires you keep things within the input/output range of the amp, but other than that the gain is independent*

Now change the analogy from a sine wave to music, leave the settings the same but have an output power of 10w with music and apply that to what Impious said above.