Sign in to follow this  
the mange

Blowthrough box design for sedan - opinions needed

I have a ski port with a latch/door that folds down into the trunk to allow air to flow through. If its ported through the hatch, and otherwise sealed off from the cabin, would that yield higher spl would it be a waste of time/money? Im not looking for pure spl, I just thought this might let me keep my sq but make it a little louder. My current setup is a regular 2.5 cube box with a bunch of room around the top/side to get around to the back of the box and through the ski port.

Here's my idea(s)..... And sorry that it looks like a third grader made these sketches.. its all i could do with ms paint....

side view of trunk shape with ski port door open/folded down

sideempty-1.jpg

looking at the trunk from the outside

straightempty.jpg

top down view of new box design

topwithport.jpg

my attempt at an isometric view of the box..... (note this sketch doesnt have the 45 pieces in the port)

sidewithport.jpg

I would adjust the width of the port to try and get ~30 hz with ~2.5 cubes after displacements

Edited by the mange

Are you sealing the port off entirely from the cabin? If so, bad idea.

The port would be the only thing firing into the cabin, sealed to the ski port. The rest of the enclosure would be sealed off from the cabin. The port would be roughly 12"x8". Still a bad idea?

The port would be the only thing firing into the cabin, sealed to the ski port. The rest of the enclosure would be sealed off from the cabin. The port would be roughly 12"x8". Still a bad idea?

Separating the port from the woofer, defeats the purpose of the port.

Read this.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

you idea, OP, wont work. in really basic terms the sub produces the sound waves, and the port from the box produces another wave. these waves add together. if your new to this stuff dont bother with a wall, just build a regular ported box, with subs and port back (or atleast keep the port and sub no more then 90 degrees off axis from each other. for example, dont fire the sub forward and port backwards.)

I made a box like that onetime and it sucked big time.

no shit, the only output entering the cabin was from the port...

OP, if you want to do a wall, do some searching around to find out the reasoning behind the wall in the first place.

you could do a bandpass box if your woofer does sealed boxes also

bandpass.gif

Edited by Julian

I have built alot of 4th order bandpass boxes for and they have worked great for cars with a ski boot.You dont have to worry about cutting any important metal in your car.I would recommened a 4th order for your car.I'm currently running a 6th order series tunned bandpass in my truck. and it is loud.

Fourth order bandpass is going to be the best way to do it IMHO. what woofer are you planning on using with it?