Sign in to follow this  
8adk1d

IXL 12" v.1 Recone???

Hey I was wondering where and how can i get a recone in Australia for my IXL 12", as i blew it up a couple of days ago??

do you guys stock the IXL v.1 parts and do i have to send it to you guys to recone it, or because i actually bought it from Affordable Drivers (Distributor In Aus) can i send it to them to recone it if they have the parts?? or if they dont have the parts and you guys do, can you send the parts to them and they can recone it? or even can Digital Designs recone it for me with the right parts provided by either you guys or Affordable Drivers because Digital Designs are pretty major in Aus and they do recones here for their drivers so they'd know how to fix these type of woofers?

any help appreciated!!

Did you try sending Mark an email ? I believe the Aus distributor was listed on the website. Try contacting them too.

Did you try sending Mark an email ? I believe the Aus distributor was listed on the website. Try contacting them too.

alright I'll give that a go

Ouch! How did you do that?

haha lol, lets just say never compare how loud a sub sounds in a house to how loud it may sound in the car.

It was waaayy louder in the house, so in the car i just kept turning it up till i thought it was as loud as it should be, ohh and in the house it was running on half the power (600wrms) so even more so why i thought i could turn it up in the car.

Heres the vid of in the house only running at about 400wrms, and let me tell you, it might not look like it but trust me its "loud as" in that room:

I'm so building another box more suited to my car now :( , might get a design off PWK!!

Edited by 8adk1d_18y0

You obviously did something wrong if it was louder in the house than in the car.

Spend your money on something else than a fancy name for a basic design.

You obviously did something wrong if it was louder in the house than in the car.

Well it would just be because of the car i have and an unsuitable box for it i guess.

What are you refering to when you say "Spend your money on something else than a fancy name for a basic design"? is it PWK your talking about? I thought he was excellent at his box building/ designs

Edited by 8adk1d_18y0

Hey mate are you a member on Mobile Electronics Au? You should join up, mind you its great to see another Australian over here :)

I'm very interested to know how you killed it, took a few minutes with a clipped 2500 watts (clamped) to kill my IXL18, very solid driver

I dont think you need to be spending money on a PWK design, stick with Mach5's recommended boxes and you will not have any problems, also its probably not worth reconing that sub considering its low price to begin with :(

Oh and i love the venom sub on the couch in the video

Edited by Samuel

Hey mate are you a member on Mobile Electronics Au? You should join up, mind you its great to see another Australian over here :)

I'm very interested to know how you killed it, took a few minutes with a clipped 2500 watts (clamped) to kill my IXL18, very solid driver

I dont think you need to be spending money on a PWK design, stick with Mach5's recommended boxes and you will not have any problems, also its probably not worth reconing that sub considering its low price to begin with :(

Hey Sam, yea I'm on MEA, my user name is "8adk1d" but I dont really do much there, i just look around.

Yea I dont know how i did it really, I think i just gave it a little too much power and Its given way on me :shrug: but yeah thats the way it goes i guess.

The reason i wanted a special design is because even with the recommended box for the IXL, I'm not going to get the sound i want in my current car because of the cabin gain and it would still be too fluctuent in response as it is now, the box i have now is a little small (1.8 cubic foot, before sub displacement) and tuned roughly to 33hz with ample port area and so i was hoping i can find out what i need to do to get the sound i want working with how it sounds in the car. It changed a damn lot going from the house to my car.

I'm going to have to get a new IXL because its turned out to be $195 AU for a re-cone kit shipped to where i live and I'm definately not going to re-cone it myself. If i get someone else to do it, it will end up costing more or it will be too near the price of a new one, in which case I'd prefer just to buy another IXL.......maybe a 15" this time

Btw that sub in the background is actually a Rockford Fosgate "P2/D2/8" haha

Edited by 8adk1d_18y0

Well it would just be because of the car i have and an unsuitable box for it i guess.

What are you refering to when you say "Spend your money on something else than a fancy name for a basic design"? is it PWK your talking about? I thought he was excellent at his box building/ designs

You have a lot of cabin gain in the car, generally whatever you will test in-car vs in-room is louder in-car.

Hey Sam, yea I'm on MEA, my user name is "8adk1d" but I dont really do much there, i just look around.

Yea I dont know how i did it really, I think i just gave it a little too much power and Its given way on me :shrug: but yeah thats the way it goes i guess.

The reason i wanted a special design is because even with the recommended box for the IXL, I'm not going to get the sound i want in my current car because of the cabin gain and it would still be too fluctuent in response as it is now, the box i have now is a little small (1.8 cubic foot, before sub displacement) and tuned roughly to 33hz with ample port area and so i was hoping i can find out what i need to do to get the sound i want working with how it sounds in the car. It changed a damn lot going from the house to my car.

I'm going to have to get a new IXL because its turned out to be $195 AU for a re-cone kit shipped to where i live and I'm definately not going to re-cone it myself. If i get someone else to do it, it will end up costing more or it will be too near the price of a new one, in which case I'd prefer just to buy another IXL.......maybe a 15" this time

Btw that sub in the background is actually a Rockford Fosgate "P2/D2/8" haha

Building 2 or 3 boxes and experimenting with different tunings is a far better investment than paying somebody to design something and having that perform below expectations. "Special design"...he doesnt have your ears and your install to be able to design something suited for your tastes.

it would really be a shame to let that sub go with out a new cone, i hope u can sell it someone willing to simply recone it.

I don't know if Sam's got any IXL15's in stock in Aust I think its only 18" according to the website?? That may be an issue......

Don't suppose you want to off-load the dead one off really cheap do you?.............. ;) Cause if you do I might have a go at doing a re-cone (BTW was that quote for Aust stock recones or from Mark @ Mach 5??)

Jono

I don't know if Sam's got any IXL15's in stock in Aust I think its only 18" according to the website?? That may be an issue......

Don't suppose you want to off-load the dead one off really cheap do you?.............. ;) Cause if you do I might have a go at doing a re-cone (BTW was that quote for Aust stock recones or from Mark @ Mach 5??)

Jono

The quote was for Mark @ Mach 5 to send the kit here yes.

I could sell it to you REALLY cheap but the shipping would still be a fortune man, it costs like $150 or so in shipping just to get an icon here.........but then again it wont cost you much to get the re-cone kit, hmm still....it would end up costing a bit I'd imagine.

Na they dont have the 15"'s in stock but arewell probably just get a 12" again and make sure i dont blow it up, otherwise my dad would get pissed off for wasting my money haha....ohhh and I'd be angry too of course.

@ Adrian_D :

Yea its louder in the car at 40hz or so but no where near it at say 30-36hz or anything else, i was shocked as logically it should be louder in a car and i was expecting it to be.

Yea I guess, he needs to personally check the car out and do tests himself to properly do it, which isn't possible. I thought i could just tell him what sound i want for him to be able to work something out.

I want a reasonably flat response until 36hz, then from 36hz down to 26hz or so I'd like it to really come to life and give people a strangely pleasant reaction along with me uncontrollably raising my eyebrows :huh:

I'm actually thinking of trying a T-line for my next box, and with a low FS and perfect T/s specs for a T-line on the first series of IXL's, maybe it will turn out quite good.......I know it drops power handling but at least I'll be able to easily hear when I'm over excurting the woofer rather than it just heating up without much notice. It was not even moving that much at the level i had it at when it blew up.

I have ran it free-air before and it moves far more than in the box and pretty much handles all the power it was getting in that video. Theres actually a free-air vid in my youtube profile and it was taking the same amount of power as the vid of it in the box so, well, maybe the t-lines the way to go for me

A recone is certainly possible. Shoot me an email (to the mach 5 site) with your shipping info.

Best,

Mark

A recone is certainly possible. Shoot me an email (to the mach 5 site) with your shipping info.

Best,

Mark

Na its ok mark, thanks anyway.....its going to cost too close to or more than a new one after shipping and all

I still dont get how you managed to kill it :(

Thanks for the PM on MEA ill shoot you a reply sometime, i vote you get another and go easy on the gains next time, either that or look at a pair, im not sure what you taste is but i would prehaps even consider an SPL15 if your after output over quality

Having thought about it two IXL12's would be a great balance between quality and output

Keep us filled in on how it goes and what you decide to do

I still dont get how you managed to kill it :(

Thanks for the PM on MEA ill shoot you a reply sometime, i vote you get another and go easy on the gains next time, either that or look at a pair, im not sure what you taste is but i would prehaps even consider an SPL15 if your after output over quality

Having thought about it two IXL12's would be a great balance between quality and output

Keep us filled in on how it goes and what you decide to do

:lol:

I prefer sound quality over output, well actually I dont know.......just, I want to be able to play all notes well and not sloppy but i want it to be making my hearing flutter which low notes like 28hz do well, pretty much how it was in the house except without any dips in output from 38-80hz and without a very steep roll-off at 31hz downwards.

Also I'm a bit tight even when i have the money to get such subs, I just cant do it, i cannot spend $500Au on a sub or $500Au in total for two, its too much :mellow:

I think I'll officially get another IXL 12" and hopefully building a T-Line box for it as soon as i get it, but yeah, I probably wont get one for at least 2 months because I'm not exactly in the position to be buying things right now!!

So as it stands, another IXL 12" will be coming, and hopefully i get in before Affordable Drivers run out of v.1 IXL's

Ohh also i cant remember if i mentioned it before but by using a T-line enclosure, it should be pretty evident when its over-excurting and i can just turn it down unlike when the voice coil heats right up i couldnt even see it coming because i can usually hear distortion but this time i didn't hear it at all.......

Edited by 8adk1d_18y0