Sign in to follow this  
Sir-Lancelot

Opinions on sealed box for 15" XCONS

Hi everyone.

I need to build a new enclosure for my pair of 15" XCONS. My ported box is coming apart and replacement is unavoidable. I want to build a sealed box and try them out that way for a little while to see if I like it better. If not, I will build a larger ported box later.

The recommended optimal volume as listed on the SSA storefront is 2.75 - 3.0. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, the smaller box will yield a tighter bass, but I am open to all suggestions and opinions. Space is not an issue.

Box is going in a Yukon XL and the subs will be powered by a GP3000D, so 1500w to each.

My listening preference is rock/metal , but I do listen to R&B/Hip Hop and some Country occasionally.

Questions,

What box will give me the tightest/lowest bass without sacrificing too much output?

Which direction should I face the subs? (my box now is subs up/port back and it gave me the most output) I think it would be louder if I fired them off the rear glass, but personal experience over opinion.

I will be bracing the hell out of it and potentially doubling up everything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lance

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

The best way to know for sure in your particular install is to build the larger size. This is because you can add some more bracing or glue in a few slugs to take up air space to make it smaller, as it is easier to go smaller then bigger after the box is built. On the other end you can add poly-fill to adjust the performance to your liking. Personally I prefer to rear fire sub woofers in SUV's. :)

Thats the way I was leaning Denim.

Subs back firing off the glass.

How does box size change the overall sound in sealed enclosure? How about power handling?

I had thought about poly fill and it's benefits, but obviously I don't need it to help with internal volume. Would it be of benefit to add it just for the sake of standing waves inside the enclosure? In this case should I go smaller to account for the polyfill?

Efficiency is more a factor. If you go very large, power handling will fall off, but if you stay close to suggested that is not an issue. Also, don't really need to worry about standing waves in a sealed box that I know of. I would not build to account for poly-fill. I get the idea you have this impression that if the air space a little larger that the sound is not going to be crisp and clean, that is also not an issue when the Xcon is in a proper enclosure of suggested size.

Efficiency is more a factor. If you go very large, power handling will fall off, but if you stay close to suggested that is not an issue. Also, don't really need to worry about standing waves in a sealed box that I know of. I would not build to account for poly-fill. I get the idea you have this impression that if the air space a little larger that the sound is not going to be crisp and clean, that is also not an issue when the Xcon is in a proper enclosure of suggested size.

That was exactly what I was thinking. I have always been under the impression that smaller sealed boxes produced a tighter quicker bass.

My goal is to tighten up the bass as well as give more speed and punch to the kick drum in metal. I want to feel more bass if that makes sense. I recently bought a Dynaudio 362 set and with the 8" mid bass in my front doors, I hope I am on the right track to my goal.

Thanks for your help Denim.

Purchased LOTS of items today. Building 3cf each and will go from there. Hope to take some pics along the way to share and say thanks to everyone here who has helped me along the way.

That was exactly what I was thinking. I have always been under the impression that smaller sealed boxes produced a tighter quicker bass.

My goal is to tighten up the bass as well as give more speed and punch to the kick drum in metal. I want to feel more bass if that makes sense. I recently bought a Dynaudio 362 set and with the 8" mid bass in my front doors, I hope I am on the right track to my goal.

Thanks for your help Denim.

Purchased LOTS of items today. Building 3cf each and will go from there. Hope to take some pics along the way to share and say thanks to everyone here who has helped me along the way.

That is true to an extent, and those extents being on the extreme side. Meaning, if you put a random 12" driver in a sealed 1.0 cube box, then put it in a sealed 5 cube box, things are going to be noticeable. I like where you are going with your box as you can always take away internal air space, also keep in mind the break in period on the Xcon.

Okay guys, built a box over the weekend. 5.95cf after drivers and plenty of bracing/double baffle front. I did take some pics, but have not uploaded them. I doubt anyone would care to see them since it's unfinished and ugly at the moment. :) lol

Opinion:

These things move a ton of air sealed up and I am SHOCKED at how loud they can get. The bass is solid as a rock. Very tight and punchy and has more authority than they did ported.

It is night and day on some songs. Very pleased.

Now to be fair, they were louder ported (little over 6cf tuned to 34), but not by much. Maybe on a mic, but only slightly to the ear. Unless you are seeking every last DB for competition purposes, I would suggest everyone at least try them out sealed first. These are not the same old chitty sealed subs of yesterday. Anyone limited by space to build a proper ported enclosure would love this woofer sealed up. I love it sealed up and I drive a Yukon XL. :trippy:

Once I can find time to install my new front stage (Dynaudio 362) I will hopefully be able to lower the crossover and let the 8" mid bass take over. The thought of having actual bass in my front doors makes me horny. :drink40: I hope I get a nice warm weekend with no rain very soon.

I did manage to bottom them out while banging on them very hard, so I need to make sure I have no leaks and make sure I am not clipping my signal to them.

Any quick tips to test for air leaks?

I was skeptical as hell about sealing them, but overall I am very pleased and would do it all over again tomorrow. Does the future hold an 8cf ported box tuned a little lower?? Maybe, but I am not in a hurry to make that change right now. They sound too good.

:ban2:

If you cannot feel an obvious leak with your hand, one trick is to lightly sprinkle baby powder or the like around the edges. Any puffs of air coming out will be noticeable with the powder.

Okay guys, built a box over the weekend. 5.95cf after drivers and plenty of bracing/double baffle front. I did take some pics, but have not uploaded them. I doubt anyone would care to see them since it's unfinished and ugly at the moment. :) lol

Opinion:

These things move a ton of air sealed up and I am SHOCKED at how loud they can get. The bass is solid as a rock. Very tight and punchy and has more authority than they did ported.

Now to be fair, they were louder ported (little over 6cf tuned to 34), but not by much. Maybe on a mic, but only slightly to the ear. Unless you are seeking every last DB for competition purposes, I would suggest everyone at least try them out sealed first. These are not the same old chitty sealed subs of yesterday. Anyone limited by space to build a proper ported enclosure would love this woofer sealed up. I love it sealed up and I drive a Yukon XL. :trippy:

Once I can find time to install my new front stage (Dynaudio 362) I will hopefully be able to lower the crossover and let the 8" mid bass take over. The thought of having actual bass in my front doors makes me horny. :drink40: I hope I get a nice warm weekend with no rain very soon.

I did manage to bottom them out while banging on them very hard, so I need to make sure I have no leaks and make sure I am not clipping my signal to them.

I was skeptical as hell about sealing them, but overall I am very pleased and would do it all over again tomorrow. Does the future hold an 8cf ported box tuned a little lower?? Maybe, but I am not in a hurry to make that change right now. They sound too good.

I'd be terrified to be your speakers....anyway on a serious note. I have my Icon sealed and i like it very much. All i listen to is rock so it has a very nice tight sound. Transient response is one of the best i've seen. For that listening environment i couldn't ask for more. I'm sure it's the same with the Xcon

I'd be terrified to be your speakers....anyway on a serious note. I have my Icon sealed and i like it very much. All i listen to is rock so it has a very nice tight sound. Transient response is one of the best i've seen. For that listening environment i couldn't ask for more. I'm sure it's the same with the Xcon

LOL, I am a woofer molester. :santa:

I listen to mainly rock/metal also, and sealing them up really made them shine. I do however listen to some R&B-Hip Hop on occasion and they do not disappoint.

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

Opinion:

Thank you for the feed back. The above highlighted portion, is something I have been trying to project but so many people are just automatic in their thought process on the Xcon's being ported. We would not have moved forward on this version of the Xcon if it did not thrive in sealed also. As for the bottoming out, be careful and try to see if you have a leak or amp clipping. :)

Opinion:

:drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

It makes me wanna try my Xcon sealed ! But the ported box is ready yet for my coming 15" Xcon.

When my box will fall apart, maybe I will try it sealed.

Thanks for your review, Lancelot.

Merry Xmas !!!

It makes me wanna try my Xcon sealed ! But the ported box is ready yet for my coming 15" Xcon.

When my box will fall apart, maybe I will try it sealed.

Thanks for your review, Lancelot.

Merry Xmas !!!

Either way you are going to love the XCON. I liked them ported, the only reason I sealed them up was because I had to do something since my box was coming apart. I am more pleased with them sealed up every day and I am glad I did it. They are amazing subwoofers, NO DOUBT!

Merry Christmas to you too!

Edited by Sir-Lancelot