Sign in to follow this  
Stevis

Been out if the game for 12 years a few questions about Q

I am looking to build a system for my cousin. I have been reading everywhere I can and I really like the looks and specs of the q line. I have never heard any Fi product but from what I have read they seem to be pretty nice. The last system I had was:

3 jl 10w6 (1st version) in a sealed custom box

1 Orion hcca 275 g4 amp

1 Orion hcca 250 g4 amp

1 a/d/s amp p40.2 maybe can't remember

mb quart 6.5 q line

upgraded alt

2 1 farad caps

Back in the day it was a pretty sweet setup. I like good sound quality with ability to bump, but sound quality is more important.

My questions are

How do these subs compare to the original jl?

What is a good amp to push 2 12's?

Better sealed or ported?

I loved my mb q's heard they got bought by Rockford so has the sq went down?

Plenty of space to build enclosure for what these subs need.

Are the newer class d amps better than my old hcca's? Anyone known to push 2 12 q's cleanly?

Have a budget about 2 grand.

Sorry if the questions about the amps and speakers should not be here, I just figured I would ask while I was at it.

Thanks very interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

I am looking to build a system for my cousin. I have been reading everywhere I can and I really like the looks and specs of the q line. I have never heard any Fi product but from what I have read they seem to be pretty nice. The last system I had was:

3 jl 10w6 (1st version) in a sealed custom box

1 Orion hcca 275 g4 amp

1 Orion hcca 250 g4 amp

1 a/d/s amp p40.2 maybe can't remember

mb quart 6.5 q line

upgraded alt

2 1 farad caps

Back in the day it was a pretty sweet setup. I like good sound quality with ability to bump, but sound quality is more important.

My questions are

How do these subs compare to the original jl?

What is a good amp to push 2 12's?

Better sealed or ported?

I loved my mb q's heard they got bought by Rockford so has the sq went down?

Plenty of space to build enclosure for what these subs need.

Are the newer class d amps better than my old hcca's? Anyone known to push 2 12 q's cleanly?

Have a budget about 2 grand.

Sorry if the questions about the amps and speakers should not be here, I just figured I would ask while I was at it.

Thanks very interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

hey man welcome to the site

a buddy of mine has some 12" q's and i love the SQ out of them in my opinion better then JL's

the amp i would probobly use would be, 2- saz-1000 My link

im sure someone else will suggest 1 amp. i am kinda weired and i like to put 1 amp per sub lol

a sealed box would give you more SQ but a good ported box will do fine also

i am not sure about the MB q's but mach 5 audio makes a real nice 6.5" speeker check them out at the SSA store

i would get some new amps :). a big 3 upgrade for sure and a extra battery in the back

Edited by hove

2 Fi Q 12"s And A SAZ-2000D In The Proper Ported Enclosure Will Probably Blow Anything You've Ever Heard Away In Terms Of Audible Loudness Or Sound Quality. That's My 2 Cents.

I'd Do The Big 3, 1/0, All That Crap, HO Alt, Batts, You Know The Drill.

I Like Rainbow Components Personally, But That's Me. I'd Recommend Another Sundown Amp For That, The SAX-100.4

My two cents. The 12" Q is still one of my favorite sounding drivers.

Go sealed if you are more geared toward SQ. I loved mine ported though. I am a basshead at heart.

I will second the Sundown nomination for a power source. Although I have never run their 2 or 4 channels amps, I have been very happy with both the SAZ1500 I used to run and the SAZ3000 I currently run on my 2-12" AA Havoc's.

Both companies have great products backed by great customer service.

Chris

The SQ on these are simply amazing

A good amp for 2 12s would be the SAZ-2000D. Just make sure you do the electrical upgrades.

I have used my 15" Q in a 2.4 cu ft sealed after all displacements and loved it then tried it in a 4.1 cu ft tuned to 31hz and love it even more but mine has a bp option which isn't suppose to perform as well sealed. The output is much greater in the ported enclosure and the SQ is still great but in a sealed enclosure these will still get very loud (louder than the 3 w6's you had).

For speakers you'll just have to listen to a lot of them and decide on the set you like the most. (hardest thing to choose in my opinion)

The SAX-100.4 is a great amp for any SQ setup.

Edited by Miller

My recommendation would be to not sell those Orion amps. Those are old school sweet. Well maybe you could sell the 250 since you can't use them both for the new subs. The 275 is rated for, what, 1200 watts at 1 ohm? But it'll actually do closer to 1600-1800 if you have the electrical to back it up. It would power two Fi SSDs or Qs nicely.

As for sealed vs. ported, that's up to your preferences. Did you like the sealed W6s?

Guys thinks for all of the responses. You have confirmed what I was thinking about the fi subs. I have never heard of nor heard a sundown amp. It blows my mind that an amp thai si one fifth of what I paid what for my 275 is what everyone is telling me to get. Boy how things have changed. I loved my w6's sealed, but it sounds like ported is much louder with these subs. What is the lead time from ordering the fi q until I get them? Also just to throw it out there a buddy of mine said I should just do one w7. I still think the sq of the q will blow the w7 out of the water, what about loudness? Oh unfortunately my hcca's are long gone:(. I was wondering as well if rainbow speakers where still good, sounds like they are I will check them out again. Thanks so much again for all your help.

I have heard Q and w7s. Both are quality built speakers and both do very well as a substage.

However, the Q is going to save you money. And before people go JL bashing, JL is expensive for a reason. R&D and custom tooling.

If you really liked the w6, try to hear some w6v2s. Those will be just as good as your w6s when talking about a quality substage and they can get loud too. I doubt these will get nearly as loud as a Q will while retaining good response, but just a random thought.

As far as Rainbow goes, overpriced from what I've seen. You will hear it over and over here, the install is more important than the product you're using.

Exactly Why I Don't Run Them Anymore, But You Could Say The Same For Every JL Product.

x2 On The Installation Factor.

My recommendation would be to not sell those Orion amps. Those are old school sweet. Well maybe you could sell the 250 since you can't use them both for the new subs. The 275 is rated for, what, 1200 watts at 1 ohm? But it'll actually do closer to 1600-1800 if you have the electrical to back it up. It would power two Fi SSDs or Qs nicely.

As for sealed vs. ported, that's up to your preferences. Did you like the sealed W6s?

I agree, those Orions are some of my favorites. :)

Oh unfortunately my hcca's are long gone:(.

Bummer :(

with what you would need for that system you will most likely go over the $2000 limit. The alternator and other electrical needs will shoot up the cost quick.

Just a thought, you can also checkout the Audioque amps if your current choice takes you over your budget. They do more than what they are rated (with the right electrical), great quality and customer service in my opinion.

Sign in to follow this