viper167

spl general question

ok! I have just a general question on spl boxes .

lets say you have a box that can do a db of 150 in a ... lets say... a suburban now lets say you have two duplicate set ups two same boxes, two same amps , two same subs and you put both boxes in the same car would you end up with 300 db? now i know its more technical then being able to stick the same boxes together to make more db's , so whats the science behind this?

also i know that its hard just to have the power going to the amps for a single setup none the less two setups so lets just say the power is coming from an outside source into this suburban

ones again just looking for the science to all this.

Edited by ivan95m

lets say u have a box that can do a db of 150 in a ... lets say... a suburban now lets say u have 2 duplicate set ups 2 same boxes, 2 same amps , 2 same subs and you wer 2 put both boxes in the same car would u end up with 300 db? now i know its more technical then being able 2 stick the same boxes 2gether to make more db's , so whats the science behind this?

also i know that its hard just 2 have the power going 2 the amps for a single setup none the less 2 setups so lets just say the power is coming from an outside source into this suburban

ones again just looking for the science 2 all this.

If that was the case then people would be doing 300-700db's in car audio which doesnt happen. I think the record is 180 something db's, why would people be bragging on 160's if 300 was possible. It is easy to jump from 120 db's to 140db's but after that it start's getting harder and harder to gain db's. If you doubled the power like you said you wanted to then you would possibly gain 3db's but it all depends. Could you please type better also so it will be easier to read and understand, thanks since it is part of the rules.

If you double cone area and power, under theoretical conditions, you'll see a 6 db gain.

Had to Subscribe to this to watch the fireworks....

For the record, I understood him clearly...

Jay-cee, I think you are very helpful or normally try to be, but sometimes you come off like your a bit uptight or maybe wound a bit to tight...

Not sure if thats the exact way to put it....

It is also VERY hard to gain 3db -6db under theoretical conditions in the real world too... VERY hard.

The theory is double cone area while maintaining same power, or doubling power while maintaining same cone area will gain 3db.

The theory is double both cone area and power to reach 6db.

There are many restrictions which prevent this from always happening in the real world.

Typically, doubling one thing will gain you about 1.5-2db and if you are already pushin the limits, 1db if you are lucky.

The higher the pressure you try to create, the harder it gets.

150db is everybody's dream...

160db is the xtreme level for a daily driver, VERY HARD to do.

170db+ as far as i know is incapable of being driven due to the mods necessary to accomplish such pressure.

Theroetically If you double your power you can gain 3db.

In my experience thats all that is. In my own application whenever I double the power I gain 1.8db. Others have had better success while even countless more have experienced the phenomenon of actually gaining less than a db. Take it for what its worth. Everything is vehicle specific and will change from 1 like vehicle to the next.

If you double cone area and power, under theoretical conditions, you'll see a 6 db gain.

thank you that is the type of answer i was looking for .

lets say you have a box that can do a db of 150 in a ... lets say... a suburban now lets say you have two duplicate set ups two same boxes, two same amps , two same subs and you put both boxes in the same car would you end up with 300 db? now i know its more technical then being able to stick the same boxes together to make more db's , so whats the science behind this?

also i know that its hard just to have the power going to the amps for a single setup none the less two setups so lets just say the power is coming from an outside source into this suburban

bro, you got some reading to do, alot of it.

there will be a day when you look back on this thread and find it golden.

currently, just spend alot of time looking into the many sources of info out there....

the db's are topping out at 180+ ??? something , which is severly stupid loud, like medically treacherous..... like it will hurt you.

i would not want to be around anything louder.... they often compare it to a space shuttle blasting off!

power wise, there is quite the technology to provide a crap load of power, as long as you have a crap load of cash.

the science, it is huge, but you are on track sort of....

alot of space, alot of power, and alot of cone area......

and some concrete and steel!!! :drink40:

chop

Had to Subscribe to this to watch the fireworks....

For the record, I understood him clearly...

Jay-cee, I think you are very helpful or normally try to be, but sometimes you come off like your a bit uptight or maybe wound a bit to tight...

Not sure if thats the exact way to put it....

These are words on the computer, when did typing show emotion or anything. I simply answered his question and said to type clearly and better, so its easier to read and its part of the rules. If you got offended by it or by my answers then thats you and some issues you have to deal with yourself because Im not up tight or anything.

It is also VERY hard to gain 3db -6db under theoretical conditions in the real world too... VERY hard.

The theory is double cone area while maintaining same power, or doubling power while maintaining same cone area will gain 3db.

There are many restrictions which prevent this from always happening in the real world.

Typically, doubling one thing will gain you about 1.5-2db and if you are already pushin the limits, 1db if you are lucky.

170db+ as far as i know is incapable of being driven due to the mods necessary to accomplish such pressure.

thanks for the answer very helpful! Will a spl box doing lets say 150 db in a tahoe then same box put in lets say a charger will it be different do to the vehicles acoustics ?

thanks for the answer very helpful! Will a spl box doing lets say 150 db in a tahoe then same box put in lets say a charger will it be different do to the vehicles acoustics ?

Yes every vehicle will sound different and have different results regardless if all the equipment is the same, so everything from sound to spl score will be different.

True and this is coming from someone who also has a ton of reading to do.

you ain't a kidding bro, i have read so much that i got to re-read it, in order to form a better understanding of what i had just read.....

I so wish there was a actual school here in IN. , I would be there!

I am currently bouncing from t-line enclosures to electrical systems, back and forth.....

chop

you ain't a kidding bro, i have read so much that i got to re-read it, in order to form a better understanding of what i had just read.....

I am currently bouncing from t-line enclosures to electrical systems, back and forth.....

chop

Chop, pick up this book.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=500-035&source=googleps

It will simply amaze you.

chop

Chop, pick up this book.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=500-035&source=googleps

It will simply amaze you.

dude, i just pm'ed five asking if there is a good starting point, lol....

i will get on that then, i have seen this mentioned before, just did not know what all it contained.

i will see if Santa will bring it to me!

thanks alot,

chop

Feel free to get an older version, the concepts are the same. That will save you some dough. Once you understand Vance's work you'll be golden.

Feel free to get an older version, the concepts are the same. That will save you some dough. Once you understand Vance's work you'll be golden.

i wish it was that simple,,,, double your set up,,,, double your db...... if that were the case i would be way up there around 100db!!!! lol.

i wish it was that simple,,,, double your set up,,,, double your db...... if that were the case i would be way up there around 100db!!!! lol.

wtf does that have to do with my post about the Loudspeaker Cookbook???

This reminds me I should have one here handy for reference.

This reminds me I should have one here handy for reference.

This is definitely on my next year to buy list also, I gotta get that book.

the best learning you can do is hands on try stupid stuff i learned a lot that way trial and error haha that's how i had a dual 15 box that was tuned to 22hz do a good # i put one 18 in it and left the 15" hole open and did a 148.xx with 0 imp. rise. car audio can do some weird non theoretical stuff. i also learned that you can extend the port by having a solid surface on 2 of the 4 sides or by spacing it a x distance from 2 hard surfaces (a hatch or similar ) and most of what you know about boxes don't apply to extreme and walls and extreme vehicles don't act the same as daily walls either. forums are a good help books can help but don't be afraid to try things on your own