60ndown

rl-p 12 review.

i've only had about 2 hours listening and i imagine like almost everything else audio,it will change slightly as it 'breaks in' but my first impressions of it are,

60hz and above-'very subtle'..........

60hz and below-'demonic authority',

65 mph 1 hour each way ,windows open,wife in the car (so REAL volume was not an option) but the detail in the real low end realms was extrodinary?(these are the frequencies that i have always found impossible to hear in a moveing car as road noise and wind and the like kindof negate any output in this range (20-40hz) from any driver i have ever previously owned,the rl-p must move so much air,or something? it over-rides,over powers the other non musical noise? i could hear and feel the real low end notes/sounds easily!-and i mean low.and easy ) cant wait to have the car to myself for a drive and crank that puppy :slayer:

as i was driving and listening i was thinking perhaps sq is not the right word for this sub.........the right word might be AUDIOPHILE.

ill post more over the next few weeks to update my impressions but if today is where its going im a very very satisfied customer.

thanks squeak for pointing me in this direction,and mike if customer reccomendations are worth anything it was squeak that is responsible for me purchaseing the rl-p 12 !

Great review. :D

ummm what box/ how much power do u have it in?

deathbox 2

www.decware.com

phoenix gold xennon 600 wrms!

boy wouldn't i love to have the 1200 :hyper:

***grabs 60 by the shoulder***

hold on bro! Where are you going so fast bud? Tell me some more about the death box. I was very interested in those boxes at decware when I saw them? What size driver are you using? How the box? What is it tuned to? How is the sound? Any different than a vanilla ported?

Tell me some more about the death box.

www.decware.com

check it out 4 yourself!

I was very interested in those boxes at decware when I saw them? What size driver are you using?

rl-p 12

How the box?

very heavy....very umble???........how old am i?

What is it tuned to?

desighned to be 'flat' i believe.

How is the sound?

hard to say? its the sub/box combination im listening too-crazy good! :fing34:

Any different than a vanilla ported?

never had one,had vanilla fudge,vanilla cherry,and vanilla moca!

:slayer: wwhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

HOW IT WORKS

The Death Box was originally a study in power handling. We studied why woofers blow up, especially in band pass boxes and in the process optimized a design to minimize the negative effects of abuse.

I guess you can tell we were in the car audio business, anyway this process of seeing how far we could take a 10 inch woofer and what the causes of failure were, is how the box got it's name.

We built and tested over 80 revisions of the classic band pass box to improve power handling and SPL. This lead to eliminating the typical port and replacing it with a symmetrically perfect duct system that kept internal pressure evenly distributed on the woofer cone.

We also found cabinet resonance would excite the woofer in negative ways and reducing it improved performance.

Adding a restriction to the duct assembly outlet created a duct that would now resonate across a wider frequency band (like a vero-vent) and that improved power handling again.

Creating a fixed symmetrical duct / baffle assembly that was transmotional allowed the circuit to be optimized for different woofers and tuned in its final destination, the room or car.

The resulting transmotional duct system yields symmetrically even pressures on the speaker cone, hence we call it SCD (Symmetric Compensation Design).

A secret to successful car audio systems is of course your subwoofer, or foundation. Understanding that a car is not a living room, but rather a box is the first step to understanding cabin gain. When you put a box in a car, you are actually putting a box inside a bigger box, thus creating additional orders. Because of this reactive capacitance all around your box, having two 12" woofers openly firing into this situation is usually asking for all kinds of performance variables. This is the reason why one enclosure will sound good in one car, and terrible in another.

We have determined that to minimize these loading problems, and to allow an enclosure to breath freely, it must be consistent with a small box to room ratio of less than 15%. It is also desirable to control the air space in front of the woofer by removing the capacitance created by flexing metal in your trunk. This is why we chose a band pass design to begin with.

There are currently copies of this box being marketed that do not employ SCD technology, are not transmotional, and are not able to be tuned to your choice of subwoofer and car. Needless to say the results are inferior. DECWARE makes the only original Death Box.

High Fidelity Engineering Co.

HOW IT WORKS

The Death Box was originally a study in power handling. We studied why woofers blow up, especially in band pass boxes and in the process optimized a design to minimize the negative effects of abuse.

I guess you can tell we were in the car audio business, anyway this process of seeing how far we could take a 10 inch woofer and what the causes of failure were, is how the box got it's name.

We built and tested over 80 revisions of the classic band pass box to improve power handling and SPL. This lead to eliminating the typical port and replacing it with a symmetrically perfect duct system that kept internal pressure evenly distributed on the woofer cone.

We also found cabinet resonance would excite the woofer in negative ways and reducing it improved performance.

Adding a restriction to the duct assembly outlet created a duct that would now resonate across a wider frequency band (like a vero-vent) and that improved power handling again.

Creating a fixed symmetrical duct / baffle assembly that was transmotional allowed the circuit to be optimized for different woofers and tuned in its final destination, the room or car.

The resulting transmotional duct system yields symmetrically even pressures on the speaker cone, hence we call it SCD (Symmetric Compensation Design).

A secret to successful car audio systems is of course your subwoofer, or foundation. Understanding that a car is not a living room, but rather a box is the first step to understanding cabin gain. When you put a box in a car, you are actually putting a box inside a bigger box, thus creating additional orders. Because of this reactive capacitance all around your box, having two 12" woofers openly firing into this situation is usually asking for all kinds of performance variables. This is the reason why one enclosure will sound good in one car, and terrible in another.

We have determined that to minimize these loading problems, and to allow an enclosure to breath freely, it must be consistent with a small box to room ratio of less than 15%. It is also desirable to control the air space in front of the woofer by removing the capacitance created by flexing metal in your trunk. This is why we chose a band pass design to begin with.

There are currently copies of this box being marketed that do not employ SCD technology, are not transmotional, and are not able to be tuned to your choice of subwoofer and car. Needless to say the results are inferior. DECWARE makes the only original Death Box.

High Fidelity Engineering Co.

or you can buy the plans for $10 from them and build it yerself?

sweet!!

i just purchased all the plans, including both deathboxes and will be building the 10" version for my rl-i8 after talking to Steve on the phone.

pm me if interested....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

sweet!!...wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Ken,

I am looking to glass a tub that will span the width of my trunk flow down into the spare tire well be x high and y deep. After approximating the total volume I came up with about 3 cube. The woofer will be an RL-p 12 which does not need this much space so I got to thinking and decided to port it. Then I thought about possiblly getting two 12's and runing the ports outside of the box (a long tube running from the box, directly into the cabin.

Then this death box got me to thinking maybe this would be a better use of the space with a single woofer, which is what I prefer as this will allow me to keep my current amp. Is this death box something that could be adapted to that (with the same spare tire well box and maybe even the external port thing)?

Thanks

Jerry

i have been visiting decware for 10 years,and in that time see many people try to modify the desighns,some with sucsess,most with failure.the db10 is for a 10 inch woofer,the db2 is for a 12.unless steve d sais it will work for sure i wouldnt bother,put a 10 in it!

sweet!!

i just purchased all the plans, including both deathboxes and will be building the 10" version for my rl-i8 after talking to Steve on the phone.

pm me if interested....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i am compareing my rl-p 12 to my soundstream exact 10.when i orderd the rl-p i figured id keep the soundstream because it is a good sub,and was doing alot right.but the reson i was on the car audio sites asking questions is because i was unsatisfied with it!.well the rl-p had a few more hours use today-the soundstream is going on e bay today- i would NEVER WANT TO LISTEN TO IT AGAIN. :poop: the rl-p is a crazy subwoofer,low,accurate,completely non fatiegueing,musical,controlled,effortless..... seems i dont even want to 'crank' the volume either?(altho im sure i will) the sq is just so good at moderate levels i dont need to listen loud to hear/feel everthing. :slayer:

Ken,

I am looking to glass a tub that will span the width of my trunk flow down into the spare tire well be x high and y deep. After approximating the total volume I came up with about 3 cube. The woofer will be an RL-p 12 which does not need this much space so I got to thinking and decided to port it. Then I thought about possiblly getting two 12's and runing the ports outside of the box (a long tube running from the box, directly into the cabin.

Then this death box got me to thinking maybe this would be a better use of the space with a single woofer, which is what I prefer as this will allow me to keep my current amp. Is this death box something that could be adapted to that (with the same spare tire well box and maybe even the external port thing)?

Thanks

Jerry

the deathbox isn't one that can be modified. there is some internal stuff that, well, is adjustable. and unless u could figure a way to make that work, i'd say no.

60, i talked to steve on the phone, he said the 8 would work wonderfully in the 10" deathbox. so that's what i'm building.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Ken,

Thanks

Jerry

the deathbox isn't one that can be modified. there is some internal stuff that, well, is adjustable. and unless u could figure a way to make that work, i'd say no.

60, i talked to steve on the phone, he said the 8 would work wonderfully in the 10" deathbox. so that's what i'm building.

ok,but dont say i didnt warn you! if you only want 1 driver,and you have an rl-p 12,id say build a death box-2!

Ken,

Thanks

Jerry

ok,but dont say i didnt warn you! if you only want 1 driver,and you have an rl-p 12,id say build a death box-2!

i might just build a DB2 as we just bought our trailblazer, get it tomorrow (or thrusday) so a new box is in order!!! yipee!! i love building stuff...

pics in a few

been listening a couple more days now,'cranked' it a few times....the louder it gets.........the better it gets,what a great sub.