dbrown23

Subwoofers in Doors

I just had me a crazy Idea just wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think. I have a 95 eclipse that i have been contemplating on how to build this thing. Then it hit me, why not fiberglass a 10 in each door panel and flush mount the amp there as well. Tell me what you think.

Doesnt sound possible considering the size for an amp, then you have to make room for subs mounting depth also. I definitely wouldnt do it.

People have put subs in their doors before.

By the time you add the weight of a subwoofer, amplifier, fiberglass/etc.....you may be in need of new door hinges. You also have to consider the subwoofer you plan to use and if you can work an adequate enclosure into the door.

Are you wanting to do this just for the "wow" factor?

i got some E8's with plans or puttin them in my door... but after holding the sub in my hand it really changed my mind..

the weight..

the depth....

the fiberglassing...

the hinges... and its a daily.... shit i decided no... but that was me :D

and my rest of my car is already being distroyed by sundown vibration ill save my doors.....

If you can make the door still work and have it fit, go for it. Curious to know what you are going to do to reinforce the hinges though.

If you can make the door still work and have it fit, go for it. Curious to know what you are going to do to reinforce the hinges though.

Got a cousin that does body work got that part taken are of he says that he can do it some type of way so i am trustin him on that

By the time you add the weight of a subwoofer, amplifier, fiberglass/etc.....you may be in need of new door hinges. You also have to consider the subwoofer you plan to use and if you can work an adequate enclosure into the door.

Kind of but I really want do see how good of a sound stage i can get from it.

the only problem i would see with that other than what the other guys said, is wouldnt the outer door skin flex like crazy? i have no idea but jus throwing out possible problems so u can take them into account when u do the building...POST PICS!!!lol

the only problem i would see with that other than what the other guys said, is wouldnt the outer door skin flex like crazy? i have no idea but jus throwing out possible problems so u can take them into account when u do the building...POST PICS!!!lol

Not if he builds an enclosure.

I'd really question your cousin. Adding 50lbs to your doors is going to require completely new custom hinges that are WAY stronger than stock.

I'd really question your cousin. Adding 50lbs to your doors is going to require completely new custom hinges that are WAY stronger than stock.

I had discussed that with him and he said he had it covered. So I guess I will see. I was planning on building a fiberglass in enclosure for the sub. Mounting the amp in the door too was just a idea, if there isnt enough room I will just put the sub in the door.

Now just a sub in door is possible but your gonna need to take alot of things into consideration, make sure your cousin knows what he is doing.

Now just a sub in door is possible but your gonna need to take alot of things into consideration, make sure your cousin knows what he is doing.

He's one of the best body men her in north louisiana, seen him fix cars that i didnt think were repairable and he can lay the hell out of some paint to. Just resrayed my blazer for me with house of kolor black diamond got it looking like glass. He's gonna paint the door panels for me when i get them done.

what we really had planned on doing was the remote control lambo kit with the actutors for the doors. so i really wasnt worried about the hindge situation that much.

I've sat in a SQ comp car with an 12inch JL flat in each front door and dynaudio mids and highs in dash , to me thats still the best sounding system i've ever heared , so do it ,but try to put those amps elsewere , besides the weight ,powercables are going to be an issue

I had discussed that with him and he said he had it covered. So I guess I will see. I was planning on building a fiberglass in enclosure for the sub. Mounting the amp in the door too was just a idea, if there isnt enough room I will just put the sub in the door.

Just putting the sub in the door without an enclosure will cause rattle central. If you meant you aren't putting the amps in and not enclosure (couldn't tell) then definitely go that route. It would be a mistake IMO to put the amps in the doors for many reasons.

You HAVE to post pictures of your hinge setup. :)

Good luck with that.

Chances are good it will make the stage worse unless you go to a lot of effort to eliminate the transfer of tactile sensations and rattles, which will draw your attention to the location of the subwoofer.

There's nothing about subbass that makes putting subs up front "better".

Good luck with that.

Chances are good it will make the stage worse unless you go to a lot of effort to eliminate the transfer of tactile sensations and rattles, which will draw your attention to the location of the subwoofer.

There's nothing about subbass that makes putting subs up front "better".

That's True. Most People Don't Realize Bass Frequencies Are Omnidirectional.

I know alot of sq guys who mount subs in there doors,floor boards,firewall.If you can do it and brace it correctly it will improve your soundstage.All sound should come from the front of you in order to stage you system correctly.However,Its alot harder to get a nice enclosure in the front of the car.Look up the top sq champ Gary Biggs.His Buick regal has a subwoofer mounted in the front firewall.His car was undefeated for along time.

Edited by cmcveigh74

I know alot of sq guys who mount subs in there doors,floor boards,firewall.If you can do it and brace it correctly it will improve your soundstage.All sound should come from the front of you in order to stage you system correctly.However,Its alot harder to get a nice enclosure in the front of the car.Look up the top sq champ Gary Biggs.His Buick regal has a subwoofer mounted in the front firewall.His car was undefeated for along time.

You need to do some remedial studying on what vertical, horizontal, and directional cues come from what frequencies. I'll give you a hint, Biggs didn't place his subwoofers up front for staging reasons in the subwoofer frequencies.

There is nothing to be gained sound stage wise from having the subwoofer mounted in front of you.

there are component sets with 8" drivers in it

That would be a woofer, not a SUBwoofer. It plays midbass, not subbass.

there are component sets with 8" drivers in it

Erm, okay :puzzled:

Can I ask who here actually competes in sq ?

Can I ask what that question has to do with anything relevant to this thread?