dbrown23

Subwoofers in Doors

Im guessing he is going to say that since yall dont compete then yall dont know what yall are talking about?

First off, body work has nothing to do with being a structural engineer. Your cousin may be good and may know his shit, but it won't be his body work skills that will make your door function. It will be his engineering skills.

As for Biggs mounting a subwoofer in the firewall, it was purely psycho acoustics. The judges know there is a sub up there, so they think it has great upfront bass. A lot of competitors are keen to this, and with Sound Quality being so subjective in judging, it's best to work all angles. Also, Biggs car is NOT A DRIVER. It's strictly for competition/show, so it hardly relates.

Think about this. Do you really want an extra 30lbs of metal flying at you in an accident? I've seen cars get smashed in the ass and have the audio equipment come flying through the trunk and cause some major carnage, so just thing what would happen with that amp and sub flying out of your door, and NO, there is no possible way you are going to build something strong enough to prevent the force from impact sending them flying. If you could, you wouldn't be able to open the door.

Also keep this in mind. The vehicle's structure is designed as a whole. You may be able to build the hinges to support the door, but with a unibody, everything works in conjunction. You take the stress off the hinge, you're putting more on the mount, then more on the plate, then more on the bolt, then more on the pillar, then more on the cowl. I think you can see my point.

there are component sets with 8" drivers in it

That would be a woofer, not a SUBwoofer. It plays midbass, not subbass.

Woofer, subwoofer, it's all relative. I have Mach 5 6.5" WOOFERS in my doors, but they reach into the subbass region. Does that mean they are subwoofers only? They are running wide open on the top end and I have range in the upper end of 2K, so technically, they are subwoofers, woofers, midranges, and tweeters. Hell, even "subwoofers" are capable of producing frequencies well above what they are intended to reproduce. I know what you are trying to convey here, but what's typed is incorrect.

Im guessing he is going to say that since yall dont compete then yall dont know what yall are talking about?

Probably, but I know many a competitor whom know not what they are doing, so it's futile. Hell, I've seen "judges" whom know not what they do. That's the most ridiculous thing about "sound quality" competition. It's still being judged by a human. It's such a flawed system, it's pointless. I've sat in a few cars that have been IASCA champion cars, and some of them have sounded like absolute shit to me. It's about a pointless as a Ford vs. Chevy debate (even though the intellectual person knows Ford is far superior).

there are component sets with 8" drivers in it

That would be a woofer, not a SUBwoofer. It plays midbass, not subbass.

Woofer, subwoofer, it's all relative. I have Mach 5 6.5" WOOFERS in my doors, but they reach into the subbass region. Does that mean they are subwoofers only? They are running wide open on the top end and I have range in the upper end of 2K, so technically, they are subwoofers, woofers, midranges, and tweeters. Hell, even "subwoofers" are capable of producing frequencies well above what they are intended to reproduce. I know what you are trying to convey here, but what's typed is incorrect.

Thanks for understanding, and for correcting me Ryan.

...It's about a pointless as a Ford vs. Chevy debate (even though the intellectual person knows Ford is far superior).

:drink40: I agree with that!

Once again I compete in sq comps and have talked alot of sq judges.It is true that bass is omnidirectional.however,the human ear can hear down to 20-30 hz and since you can hear it you can tell what direction it originates from.the whole concept of a sq vehicle is to reproduce a recording as accurate as possible. When was the last concert you went to where the subwoofers were behind you?there have been sucessful sq vehicles with subs in front and back. I'm saying in the perfect world subs should be mounted in front of you. Also Biggs 10 sub was not installed to just fool the judges but the mounting grill for his kickpanels were.If you want to install subs in your door , do it.there are plenty of people in the car audio world that are followers and not leaders.You are never going to know what something sounds like without trying it. 10-15 years ago almost no one used ported spl enclosures now almost everyone does.there would of been the same people here telling you then not to use a large ported box with a ton of port area because it won't be loud it be just be a Infinite baffle install. It's always nice to get other peoples opinion but you need to also sometimes say what the hell.

Once again I compete in sq comps and have talked alot of sq judges.

Nobody here cares that compete, and being an SQ competitor or judge doesn't make you right. The laws of biology and physics are the same regardless of your status in the realm of "sound quality" competition. Whether or not you understand those laws of biology and physics is also completely independent of your status in the realm of "sound quality" competition.

There are a great number of competitors who believe some pretty ridiculous things that are completely contradictory to the laws of physics.

however,the human ear can hear down to 20-30 hz and since you can hear it you can tell what direction it originates from.

False, and if you understood how we as humans localized sound you would understand why the idea that just because we can hear it we can localize it is wrong. That right there is a fundamental flaw in your argument and gap in your understanding.

Did one of those SQ judges tell you that?

When was the last concert you went to where the subwoofers were behind you?

LOL....wow.

I'm saying in the perfect world subs should be mounted in front of you.

What you are saying is frivolous, unnecessary and wrong. In an automobile there is no reason to need to have subwoofers mounted in front of you.

Wow,Im sorry I upset you so much. I didn't mean to hurt your ego.I would like to hear your take on the subject.I'm always open to a different point of view. Please enlighten me on how humans interrupt sound.

Wow,Im sorry I upset you so much. I didn't mean to hurt your ego.I would like to hear your take on the subject.I'm always open to a different point of view. Please enlighten me on how humans interrupt sound.

Seriously? You are the one refuting science, why should we go into Aural 101for you? Let's make this more productive and why don't you tell us how humans can perceive where an omnidirectional source is that is playing only below 40Hz. Then we can continue.

When was the last concert you went to where the subwoofers were behind you?

Please tell me what is the typical bandwith of a pro-audio subwoofer "system" ?

From what I have played with pro-audio it is way higher than in a car.

It is true that bass is omnidirectional.however,the human ear can hear down to 20-30 hz and since you can hear it you can tell what direction it originates from.the whole concept of a sq vehicle is to reproduce a recording as accurate as possibl

You are contradicting yourself here. First you say it's omnidirectional then you say it's not. So, which way is it ?

Most of the front sub installs I have seen use the front subwoofer into the midbass region to eliminate the need for the midbass to drop very low, eliminating vibrations and rattles in the door.

Phsychoacoustics is a very powerful tool, seeing the subwoofer in front will automatically fool almost everyone into thinking the bass is coming from the front.