17 members have voted

1. 1. Which Amp?

• Rockford T-1500
    • Sundown SAZ-1500

hey guys my buddy is trying to decide between a Rockford T-1500 or Sundown SAZ-1500. i know this website praises the Sundown's, but WHY is it better then the Rockford? he said his budget is whatever it needs to be. he is running a pair of 15in IA Lethal Injections. he has them in his Jeep Wrangler. his electrical is all stock, but he is also in the process of getting a battery. Thanks guys.

Edited by casedawg350

Better customer service, does rated power at 12 volts unlike the Rockford and the Rockfords are current hogs (you will need a better electrical to supply one of those to the equivalent of that in a Sundown Amp).

Both are good amps but the Rockford has a fixed subsonic filter while the Sundowns is variable. Having a variable subsonic would sway me toward the Sundown, it could save you from going through some speakers.

good reasons. thanks guys.

in reference to the rated power, he told me the Rockford does 1800 or 1900? i have no idea cause i dont pay attention to the mainstream stuff. can anyone give me an insight on this?

good reasons. thanks guys.

in reference to the rated power, he told me the Rockford does 1800 or 1900? i have no idea cause i dont pay attention to the mainstream stuff. can anyone give me an insight on this?

Yeah all rockfords do more than rated power, that is even what their birth sheets claim. But the Sundown is known to put out its rated power and some at 12volts but the main deterrent to me would be price and as said above the lack of a variable sub sonic filter (you cant change it on the Rockfords, it is a contstant figure).

So the Rockford could be doing 1700 but at 14 volts and the Sundown be doing it at 12 volts?

On top of the other reasons already cited. Main stream per dollar vs internet sold per dollar should always lean towards the internet brand; however, you have to beware as there are some seriously shady people out there. Luckily Jacob is far from shady and his shit is more than worth it.

On top of the other reasons already cited. Main stream per dollar vs internet sold per dollar should always lean towards the internet brand; however, you have to beware as there are some seriously shady people out there. Luckily Jacob is far from shady and his shit is more than worth it.

I think we're on the same wavelength about shady people ;)

Luckily Jacob is far from shady and his shit is more than worth it.

X1k. I bought a few things, traded a few things, and had a whole lot of questions that Jacob handled very professionally. Not to mention top notch CS. That never falls short with me.trink40.gif

Hey! Those were my 15's!!! Maybe he wants the SAZ-1500D of mine?.....I could get the SAZ-2000D for my SA8's :santa:

Please bare in mind that clamp tests are not a very reliable or accurate test method, and not a method that should be used to compare one amplifiers performance to another for daily use applications or to determine the "actual" performance of any single amplifier.

If I recall correctly RF claims their amplifiers will still make rated power down to around 12.5V, I believe this is part of the reason why the "birthsheets" show higher power output than rated (birthsheets are @ 14.4V). RF amplifiers are CEA-2006 compliant so they must state power is "rated" at 14.4V, but that doesn't mean they can't design the amplifier to still provide rated power at lower voltage levels.

Please bare in mind that clamp tests are not a very reliable or accurate test method, and not a method that should be used to compare one amplifiers performance to another for daily use applications or to determine the "actual" performance of any single amplifier.

If I recall correctly RF claims their amplifiers will still make rated power down to around 12.5V, I believe this is part of the reason why the "birthsheets" show higher power output than rated (birthsheets are @ 14.4V). RF amplifiers are CEA-2006 compliant so they must state power is "rated" at 14.4V, but that doesn't mean they can't design the amplifier to still provide rated power at lower voltage levels.

I didnt say anything about this test as being used as the holy grail, he asked what they do around 12 volts and I just posted a link for him to look at. I didnt want to say they do this so I posted what the owner of the company posted as a guide or reference to what their capabilities can be thats all; instead of me answering a question I have no facts on so I gave the OP facts.

If you have the electrical most people I know who have ran both say the RF puts out more power (going of of last years models bigger amps) Asking which one runs better crippled by a weaker electrical would lend my thought process to suggest running a smaller amp if you are worried about having juice.

I didnt say anything about this test as being used as the holy grail, he asked what they do around 12 volts and I just posted a link for him to look at. I didnt want to say they do this so I posted what the owner of the company posted as a guide or reference to what their capabilities can be thats all; instead of me answering a question I have no facts on so I gave the OP facts.

I understand. I posted my comments so others reading the thread, including the OP, didn't base decisions upon the information contained in the linked thread as the method used is inaccurate and unreliable and it has as of yet to be pointed out.

Going forward, when linking to relatively unreliable or inaccurate data in response to a specific question asking for actual data it would be helpful to everyone if you included a short comment in your post indicating the inaccuracy of the provided information.

In actuality, the linked thread doesn't answer the OP's question at all, and a clamp test doesn't represent "facts". It's data, unreliable data...that's all.

I understand. I posted my comments so others reading the thread, including the OP, didn't base decisions upon the information contained in the linked thread as the method used is inaccurate and unreliable and it has as of yet to be pointed out.

Going forward, when linking to relatively unreliable or inaccurate data in response to a specific question asking for actual data it would be helpful to everyone if you included a short comment in your post indicating the inaccuracy of the provided information.

In actuality, the linked thread doesn't answer the OP's question at all, and a clamp test doesn't represent "facts". It's data, unreliable data...that's all.

Your right I was going off the assumption that people would take into account that plenty of factors will play into where those numbers came and so forth (such as: batteries used, alternator output, enclosure, install itself, other electrical upgrades, impedance rise etc.). Next time I will make that aware when I post and to not use this as the guide that if you use those batteries Jacob are using or that amp you will see those exact same numbers if you did testing yourself.

Well answer this for me, is there an accurate way to test the amps rms or output since every testing method is not reliable (for my own .02)?

Well answer this for me, is there an accurate way to test the amps rms or output since every testing method is not reliable (for my own .02)?

There is. But it requires a bunch of equipment that most forum users don't have access to. A distortion analyzer, dummy load, and stable power supply are a step in the right direction.

So basically, the average audiophile will never to be able to test an rms output accurately? Unless they have the hookup to some nice equipment?

So basically, the average audiophile will never to be able to test an rms output accurately? Unless they have the hookup to some nice equipment?

x2, Because I was going to go out and buy some clamp meters and so on, if that is the case then Impious you saved me some money then?

Pretty much.

But really, does it matter? +/- 30% variation in power isn't going to be audible.

x2, Because I was going to go out and buy some clamp meters and so on, if that is the case then Impious you saved me some money then?

If it's something you just want to play around with in your driveway, there's nothing wrong with it.

However the information you record won't really have much utility.

Pretty much.

But really, does it matter? +/- 30% variation in power isn't going to be audible.

Nah, it really doesnt. As long as it puts out the rated power, then Im fine with it.

Some people just want the numbers for numbers sake, I guess. Thats fine too.

For me, the wattage means nothing if the sound doesnt justify it.smile.gif