galacticmonkey

Galacticmonkey's Avalanche Build

Already posted on ca.com, but Ill just repost it here because its late and Im bored. And in case anyone is wondering, the van that you see in my avatar is sold, and this is my new daily ride. I have an Astro that Ill be starting another serious SPL build in eventually. This is just a smaller daily system.

Equipment

Pioneer 880PRS

2 Fi BTL 18s

2 MB Quart DSC2000s

1 MB Quart DSC4150

1 MB Quart DSC2150

2 sets Hertz HSK165

Some Eminence/Selenium

3 Powerware batteries

KnuKonceptz wiring

Damplifier Pro deadener

Box

4.2 cubes sealed

17.5 cubes ported

410 in^ of port

47hz tuning

I really hope this box doesnt sound like crap.

14bm9w2.png

2yvwcw4.jpg

20jk3kp.jpg

a3jh1u.jpg

b97shz.jpg

qrkwtl.jpg

vzab76.jpg

28svgj5.jpg

23t4j84.jpg

Edited by galacticmonkey

Box is in and I have pics, but my computer is so infected with viruses that it wont even let me open MS Paint to shrink them to a reasonable size. Ill be posting them huge. If anyone else wants to shrink them and repost them for me, Ill take them out of my post.

Had to really take alot of crap apart and do alot of stuff to get this box in. Took a good hour of truck disassembly for it to finally go in.

Just the tip in.

a593d4.jpg

Mostly in.

1zny2og.jpg

All the way in.

1z1emte.jpg

The front in. Spray foamed around it.

16bk40m.jpg

More foam.

avnckm.jpg

Batteries in and wired together. Still need to wire the entire car.

34dkk8g.jpg

Pannel on the back holding the batteries in. Just screws on, holds the batteries in, and has a couple drains in the bottom in case any water gets in.

244zaz8.jpg

With absolutely no tuning whatsoever, and a single DSC2000.1 @ 2 ohms, I burped a 146 @ 40hz legal.

I havent messed with the amp yet, and I think the gain is still under 1/2. Dont even know where the LPF is... Just kinda eyeballed the gain and LPF once before the subs even got playing an havent touched them since.

Like I said, I can bounce a full water bottle an inch off the top of my box, so that should be a huge gain when I fix that as well. I would say a solid .5-1db at least, then when I end up with 4x the power that should raise it as well. Then maybe a little if I round over the port and really fix up the seal and deaden the back doors at all.

Overall, I think a 150 @ 40hz legal should be easy. Id really like to see a 152ish, but we will see what I can get it to do.

The Hertz though......... Wow. These things have midbass that sounds like a pair of 8" subs. I thought my 2150 was on lowpass at first. You can actually feel the vibration of the midbass in the floor of the truck. The mid gets pretty loud... Its not like like an Eminence obviously, but the mid is great and the tweeter is wayy smoother than the Focals. Night and day difference in sound.

The DSC2150 seems great as well. For $135 new, you cant beat it!

I know the pics are huge, sorry. Ill resize them eventually when my computer isnt being stupid.

Big thanks to Dave for all the help today, I couldnt do crap because my neck is hurting so bad. I told my roommate about it when I got home and he said that last night he came into my room to ask me a question but I was asleep with the pillow off the bed and my head hanging off the edge... I cant even move my head. :mad:

Forgot to take a pic of the 2x12s on the top of the box. Will take a pic tomorrow when we do more work.

These Powerware batteries rock. Stock alt, stock wiring under the hood, no external regulator. Just sitting at idle when I turned the car on. They have never even been on a charger yet, even after being load tested and sitting for who knows how long.

20a2rzb.jpg

Got 3 2x12s across the top of the box.

wjchmb.jpg

Audiopipe sticker for the extra deebeez.

22c6pv.jpg

Big metal support welded into the box.

29kucev.jpg

Started playing with the port. Looking to see how low we can get it to play.

1zvct3t.jpg

If I were to redo ALL my highs and sell my Hertz, I would do something like the following:

8 Eminence Alpha 6C (2 in each door, wired on a DSC4125)

4 Selenium ST350 (1 in each door, all 4 bridged on a DSC450)

2 Eminence Kappa 15Cs (glassed to front of box, bridged on a 4125)

4 Selenium D250 (glassed to front of box, bridged on a DSC480)

This way, each Alpha 6 would be seeing 125w, each tweeter would be at 100rms, each Kappa 15 would be at 500rms, and each horn at 160rms. Would be just over 3,000rms on highs, and would totally scream.

The single set of Hertz that I have in my front doors now with 150rms each side sound AMAZING. The midbass sounds like a pair of 8" subs, and the tweeters are sooooooo smooth. The speakers are so killer, but now that I got some subs again I really miss the loud highs thats Ive always had.

This would make me have to sell my 2 channel and buy 3 more 4 channel amps... And when I did this, I would end up running 4 amps on highs and 2 on bass, so I would have 6 amps in my truck. I have 2 sets of Focals and would have 2 sets of Hertz that I could sell that would pay for most of it though... So I dont know what to do. The 6 amps under the back seat would be a tighttttttt fit though.

Here is a pic of two of my horns, got two more sitting in a box. They are soooooo loud.

2dhxy8m.jpg

Anyway, last night I had a set of RCAs pop and arc and burn a hole in the side of my 2ch amp.. Both amps turn on fine, but no sound. Think I might have fried my HU. Fial. :(

It was a 4ch RCA and it was a 2ch amp... I tied the other two extra RCAs up so they wouldnt touch anything and they were fine for like a week... Then I was sitting at a stop light and I just see sparks start shooting everywhere.

Got one of my mids in. Going to see if the other came in tomorrow. 2 Eminence Kappa 15Cs. They are 4 ohm, and will be bridged on my DSC4125, for 500rms each. Hooked this one up today off some low power just to hear it... Wow is it nasty loud. 3" VC and weighs like 18lbs per 15.

Im going to have some loud highs.

2w1xe2s.jpg

2lthult.jpg

2q1rz2o.jpg

10yf0vt.jpg

With only 500rms on each BTL, it somehow cracked the weld on the last brace. So a new one was made. Going to bedlinder the inside of the box, so I sprayed this one with a textured stucco sort of white paint, then went over it with a black, then a clear satin. Should blend great when I bedlinder the inside of the box. Big thanks to Dave for welding me a new one. Anyway, pics.

Old brace out.

107j7lg.jpg

rwqvzt.jpg

2zr4abr.jpg

Random pics of front of box and some glassing I did on the top in the bed. Still leaked a little so I glassed around the foam to try to help the seal some, and put some silicone on the foam around the front of the box. Hopefully it did something.

244v33k.jpg

This is in the bed right below the back window. Like 4 layers of cloth and a ton of resin. Might do more, who knows.

2myyzxe.jpg

Pic of my wiring mess under my back seats. Running a lonely DSC2150... Dont even have a radio in my dash.

29wvp6w.jpg

Heres the new brace. Its drying right now.

255p5xy.jpg

Up close of texture.

sw48k3.jpg

Anyway, eventually redoing all my highs back to pro audio. My 2 Eminence Kappa 15s are for sale. Just too big for the space and would be a pain to work with. Both are brand new, looking for $100 each with grills.

Bought a cheap Pioneer for temp until I can get my 880PRS fixed or scrap it and buy another one.

i thought FI strongly recommendeds not to seal the btls

Its a 4th order. So the subs are in a sealed chamber, but theres more to it than that. Even Scott said I should go 6th order, but Ive never done a 6th order before. I know 4th orders pretty well, so I stuck with what I knew.

I couldnt be happier with the sound. With only 500rms on each sub it was still doing a 146 legal before bracing or tuning. So with the bracing and after I tune the amp I should be able to get a solid 147-147.5 with 500rms on each BTL.

The sound is amazing though. The quality is something I didnt expect. Ive ran BTLs before and they always sounded good for an SPL sub, but in this box they honestly rival some SQ setups Ive heard. Super fast, right, responsive, and the tone is amazing. So rich and full. Like I said, I really couldnt be any happier. I started modding the port then ripped it all back out because I realized how good it sounded when I started messing with it.

I've always heard 6th order sound like poop for daily, and if not built to exact they sound crappy too lol.

Hello,

In my avalanche i have 2 dd9518g's in a 6th order series bandpass box and it sounds great on music.The freqency is flat from 28hz -65hz and a slight peak at 36hz thats where i burp it.trust me if go change to6th order you will gain quite a bit.all you need isto port the small sealed box.make a large port area opening and you can start playing with port area and port length to get what you want.Trust me you will love it more then you already do.