Sign in to follow this  
60ndown

10 guage wire

when wireing my voice coils together,i couldnt get 2 sets of 10 guage in the one side? so i went with 12 throughout? any one got any good ideas about how to wire a rl-p 12 dvc with 10 guage?

:idiot: -me

I wouldn't worry about it and just leave the 12ga. At worst the difference would be tenths of a watt, unless you are running obscene amounts of power to that poor lil' Rl-p.

I wired mine up with 12ga (I think.....Hmmm....or maybe I did use 10ga. Damn, I can't remember.....I think I may have used 10ga now that you mention it).

because of the higher voltage, there will be less amperage running through those wires.... You barely need 12ga.

Unless You are going to start burping it, You're fine with 12 or even 14 ga.

-Nick

If you want to use 10 gauge, use solid core copper, home-wire. You get that from Rona, Home depot type stores.

If you want to use 10 gauge, use solid core copper, home-wire. You get that from Rona, Home depot type stores.

not a good idea

^^copper wire works fine, i used it in my 1st car, just hard as hell to bend and form, but it works all the same..

To use that 10guage though, i would get some kind of grinder and shave it down, thats what i did wt my 0 guage wire, works just fine.

Are we talking about a single big fat copper strand?

solid core= fat copper strand

Electricity doesn't flow the same...i wish i could find some diagrams of it...

For a system that is Low voltage and High current (which is what the vast majority of the car audio amps put out today minus a crown) you really need to run stranded wire.

I can't explain it correctly...lemme look around for a little bit - i don't want to be wrong.

i had that copper crap hooked up to my jbl 1200, never had any problems prolly because it was like 2guage, switched to some stranded 2guage wire and it melted my pos plastic piece..

post-244-1120431183_thumb.jpg

The reason I suggested it, was because I have first hand expirence with it. But it is just a suggestion, if 10 gauge is desired to be used. I like using 10 gauge to link my VC's as well.

That is 10 gauge Romex solid-core wire on the Tumult. I didn't find it so hard to bend. 10 gauge solid core is literally less in diameter, than 12 gauge stranded, it's easier to fit.

As for electrical and sound properties, there is no solid proof that stranded or solid have any real sonic differences. Stranded is more popular for audio, because it has a greater flexing property. Remember, stranded is just solid core shaved up into 100's of strands. It is the exact same copper, from the exact same copper manufacturer.

Do you live in a basement ?

P.S

Most people dont have solid core lying around

Does power flow equally over each?

I believe it has to do with stand count and overall surface area. Electricity flows better over stranded bacause of the multiple surfaces. where the thicker stuff carries more amps, voltage is effected.

I believe it has to do with stand count and overall surface area. Electricity flows better over stranded bacause of the multiple surfaces. where the thicker stuff carries more amps, voltage is effected.

now thats why i surf the net...........to leard! makes perfect sense to me!...........thanks..... :slayer:

There are two sides to the strand-count debate:

#1: Electrons travel only on the surface of the wire, 1800 strand monster cable has more surface area and therefore monster cable is better.

#2: The "skin effect" which argument #1 refers to happens in AC voltage setups, our cars are DC voltage and do not experience this effect.

All things considered, THHN wire works just as well as Monster cable for ME - and will work for everybody else as well - but if you're not going to be able to sleep at night worrying that your system is not all it can be... just go with the $2.00/ft wire to start instead of the 50cent/ft wire that you can get at Home Depot.

-Jonathan

Skin effect happens only in higher frequency voltages. Even 60Hz voltage does not see the skin effect.

Wire is wire...

$2.00/ft wire

Where do you shop the car audio retail store lol. :Doh:

i run 8ga wire for my rl-p 15 :) i think it migfht be overkill but better safe than sorry.

You can run 16ga. wire and you would still be plenty safe.

Very little current is outputted from the amplifier. All voltage.

I buy my wire at Home Depot for 50 cents a foot like I said.  :)

:+1: , I ran 16g solid core to my SE 15" one time with 450wrms just to show my friend that you don't need stupid big wire. It did get a bit warm, but nothing catastrophic. 12g is fine for everything after the amp. Except my ears, those require 6gauge piercings. Man, if piercing gauges were the same as wire gauges, I would be in some trouble. 8)