mbarber25

Rear View Mirror

well after about a month or so of driving with no rear view mirror i decided to get a new one. this is the second one i've had to buy since i already broke two. both times the mirror's arm has snapped from window flex/vibration. i have a nissan and they use the same mirror components basically in all their vehicles. one being the arm which is that same on every one. i don't know how familiar anybody is with the material used on these arms but to me it looks like a metal of some kind and plastic. feels strong but obviously snaps easily from all of the vibration.

my theory is that since the mirror moves to a certain point and can't move any longer. the arm is the focus of all stress which causes it to snap.

so what my question is that is there any tips/hints/secrets/methods etc. to avoid having the thing snap?

seems kind of like a pointless question but i figured i'd ask since broken mirrors are probably pretty common. thanks!

Get a metal one, that's the only reason mine isn't broken.

well after about a month or so of driving with no rear view mirror i decided to get a new one. this is the second one i've had to buy since i already broke two. both times the mirror's arm has snapped from window flex/vibration. i have a nissan and they use the same mirror components basically in all their vehicles. one being the arm which is that same on every one. i don't know how familiar anybody is with the material used on these arms but to me it looks like a metal of some kind and plastic. feels strong but obviously snaps easily from all of the vibration.

my theory is that since the mirror moves to a certain point and can't move any longer. the arm is the focus of all stress which causes it to snap.

so what my question is that is there any tips/hints/secrets/methods etc. to avoid having the thing snap?

seems kind of like a pointless question but i figured i'd ask since broken mirrors are probably pretty common. thanks!

Probably just might have to ride around rear view mirror less.

where would i find one?

glue i to your windshield sounds counterintuitive but i glued mine once with some high strength windshield glue, has not even came off yet. crazy stuff.

where would i find one?

This one is aluminum: http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/65A2981A0A0.aspx

besides the actual mirror. that looks like same as the arm on mine. by the look of it atleast.

i didn't really specify but when i checked out the arm when i broke it. but the material did actually it look like a metal. it was light gray/silver. reminded me of aluminum.

Don't look back, keep looking to the future. The past is the past.

Sorry, good luck.

lol.. alright dude

yours is connected to the windshield right, or to the top of the car?

Edited by Mac N Cheese

yours is connected to the windshield right, or to the top of the car?

yea, windshield

make a flexible rubber rearview that way it sways with the vibes.

or perhaps get a slinky and use that as the brace

Edited by SynCity

glue i to your windshield sounds counterintuitive but i glued mine once with some high strength windshield glue, has not even came off yet. crazy stuff.

That is actually gonna cause you problems in the future because once the vibrations or pressure from you setup break that bond on the super glue it will crack your windshield, seen it done before a couple of times. Just a heads up.

im just gunna say screw it and keep bumpin until this one breaks too.

i only got a new one so i could get an inspection sticker anyways, so whatever lol

but this time around i'm not going to screw it on so tight like before. so there won't be so much stress

i only got a new one so i could get an inspection sticker anyways, so whatever lol

but this time around i'm not going to screw it on so tight like before. so there won't be so much stress

I wouldnt even use it, just keep put it on when you need to get an inspection. Mine just slides all the way done until you cant see out of it and I get tired of positioning it back up so I just let mine sit there.

I wouldnt even use it, just keep put it on when you need to get an inspection. Mine just slides all the way done until you cant see out of it and I get tired of positioning it back up so I just let mine sit there.

probably what i'll end up doing, but yea i turned it up for a minute and it slid right down too

I've had this issue in my Blazer for a while. I don't seem to break the post on the mirror but every time I burp, the mirror drops off the glass. It came off once playing music, but it always happens during testing and at a comp. I don't like driving without the mirror so I just suck it up and buy mirror glue in bulk.

I've had this issue in my Blazer for a while. I don't seem to break the post on the mirror but every time I burp, the mirror drops off the glass. It came off once playing music, but it always happens during testing and at a comp. I don't like driving without the mirror so I just suck it up and buy mirror glue in bulk.

haha nice. damn things.

but anyways, how's it going? any new updates etc etc?

updates on the mirror, or competitions?

For competitions, the NESPL classes and rules for 2010 are all set now, everything is on the website. We have one date set, it's going to be a TNESPL 3X event, not our NESPL format.

updates on the mirror, or competitions?

For competitions, the NESPL classes and rules for 2010 are all set now, everything is on the website. We have one date set, it's going to be a TNESPL 3X event, not our NESPL format.

haha nah not the mirror.. i meant competitions and your blazer

but that's good. i'm excited :woot:

a.2 here i come... unless i make changes ;)

oh and where and when is the one that is already set?

Edited by mbarber25

haha nah not the mirror.. i meant competitions and your blazer

but that's good. i'm excited :woot:

a.2 here i come... unless i make changes ;)

oh and where and when is the one that is already set?

The one thats set already is gonna be in Rocky Hill CT in May. We should have one more set up in Tewksbury Mass at the beginning of May, we hope.